How many hours and what to look for?

6 replies to this topic
  • Hedo

Posted July 24, 2009 - 01:26 PM

Just getting back into the sport after a couple of years off due to injury.

I am currently looking at a used 2007wr450 that looks to be in great shape and i have been told it has been well maintained with frequent oil and air filter changes. it has between 150 to 175 hours of time on the bike in about 16 months of riding.

What problems could i be facing or what problems should i be looking for?

• GCannon

Posted July 24, 2009 - 04:34 PM

That's only 11 hours a month or just one weekend a month?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 24, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Just getting back into the sport after a couple of years off due to injury.

I am currently looking at a used 2007wr450 that looks to be in great shape and i have been told it has been well maintained with frequent oil and air filter changes. it has between 150 to 175 hours of time on the bike in about 16 months of riding.

Very few problems with that many miles and that level of maintenance.

If the drive train is solid and the suspension components are functional, then everything else is fixable.

It will last for quite a few additional years.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kjr247

Posted July 24, 2009 - 06:24 PM

My experience has been that these WR's are just flat out durable. The XR of modern bikes.

• klossWR450

Posted July 25, 2009 - 12:25 AM

When I got my '07 it had 3300 miles, piston/rings replaced at 3000 by previous owner just beause manual suggests 1000 (I got the old one looks perfect), heard of WRs doing 30000 miles on one piston, only thing that was gone was the water impeller seal leaking, easily fixed after reading this forum, now it's about 4000 miles, in SM trim, runs great, starts first or second kick

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 25, 2009 - 01:43 PM

Not much really in my opinion.

Depending on how it has been washed (ie. by hand or pressure washer) it could be in need of suspension and steering head bearings.
If I were you I'd check out the rear links, swingarm pivot, and steering head bearings.

Original fitment fork seals don't seem to last very long at all in these bikes, so don't be surprised if you see a leak in that area, it's normal. New seals fixes it.

Enjoy!

Greg

• gottheblues

Posted July 25, 2009 - 02:46 PM

It should be good to go. I had a 04 yz450f, had it for 4 years, regular oil and filter changes, never had to touch a thing, even the valves didn't have to be adjusted yet, and thats a race bike. (i never did any racing though). The wr is a tamer motor, so it should go for a long time yet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.