2003 wr 450 dead spot right off idle

12 replies to this topic
  • timboatmanbates

Posted July 24, 2009 - 08:59 AM

i have a 2003 wr 450 that i have rebuilt the carb and i have tacken to a shop to rebiuld and i still have a dead spot right off of idle.

i have rejetted it with a very wide aray of jets and there is no difference
right now it is at the 3rd needle setting with a 170 main and a 52 pilot and a 90 accelerator pump and the mixture screw is out 3 turns

when i have the air box off i am getting fuel back in the air box so i checked the valves and they are spot on .13 intack and .15 exhast.

i AM at wits end and would look forward to any sugestions

• oldmanx

Posted July 24, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Is the dead spot basically a bog? If so, search the forum for the accel. pump o-ring mod. Doing it took out 90+% of my bog. Here's the link to a Youtube video on how to install the o-rings:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 24, 2009 - 06:03 PM

a 2003? i bet its your woodruff key.

i am joking.

I would loosen the carb, and pull it from the rubber mounts, and aim it in a safe place, then whack the throttle WIDEOPEN and see if you get a nice pump shot across the garage floor.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 24, 2009 - 06:21 PM

i have a 2003 wr 450 that i have rebuilt the carb and i have tacken to a shop to rebiuld and i still have a dead spot right off of idle.
DEFINE 'REBUILT': THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A 'SERVICE PERFORMED' LIST
i have rejetted it with a very wide aray of jets and there is no difference
right now it is at the 3rd needle setting with a 170 main and a 52 pilot and a 90 accelerator pump and the mixture screw is out 3 turns
WHAT'S A 90 AP? DO YOU MEAN THE LEAK JET? THAT'S TOO BIG.
when i have the air box off i am getting fuel back in the air box so i checked the valves and they are spot on .13 intack and .15 exhast. NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING HERE

i AM at wits end and would look forward to any sugestions

Does it bog when you roll the throttle, or when you whack it? In neutral this is not all uncommon.

• timboatmanbates

Posted July 25, 2009 - 12:07 PM

it does it both when i get on it and when i roll it if i go really slow at it it does climbs right up as for the ap jet it is a 90 that was actually what was in it....and the shop just cleaned it and recommended what to do with the jetting.....

• mtndirtrider

Posted July 26, 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hey man , my 03 wr450 did the same thing . These bikes come factory jetted way too lean.
I cured mine with a zip tye fuel screw $25, riched my pilot 2#s, main5#s dropped the needle 1 notch=4th clip.
Your biggest problem is fuel screw adjustment on your off idle bog.
good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dayvn

Posted July 27, 2009 - 07:32 AM

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTUxOQ==

I had the same problem but after the mod it has no bog at all. If anything it's now too responsive.

Same bike 2003 wr450

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 27, 2009 - 03:27 PM

I would loosen the carb, and pull it from the rubber mounts, and aim it in a safe place, then whack the throttle WIDEOPEN and see if you get a nice pump shot across the garage floor.

What about this?

• bloodline

Posted July 28, 2009 - 10:06 AM

make sure the hot start is not stuck partially open.

• Thresher90

Posted July 28, 2009 - 07:50 PM

I just went through the same thing your doing. I did all the carb mods, merg ap spring, o ring mod, 170 main jet, 48 pilot, 42 leak, stock starter, fuel screw at 2 and 1/2 turns out, richer needle on 4th clip, and i still get some bog. The only way that the bog goes away is if I unplug the TPS sensor. idk if thats your problem too but worth a try

• dmk75

Posted July 29, 2009 - 05:53 AM

So are you saying that unplugging the TPS will help eliminate the bog? the TPS confuses me because if you unplug it and it eliminates the bog or your unplug it and there is no difference then what is the purpose.

I have done the oring mod but still have the bog and the squirt appeared to be timed correct when I check it out. I have the 03 canadian wr so I'm running a 48 pilot, installed an adj fuel screw, 40 leak jet (I think its a 40, have to recheck the manual). Over the winter I don't know if I should send my card to zip ty for the mods or just purchase the merge adjustable leak jet.

• Thresher90

Posted July 30, 2009 - 05:07 PM

ya it runs great without the TPS plug in and like garbage when itis plugged in

• racinteach

Posted August 05, 2009 - 09:49 PM

Ihave my wr in sumo mode right now..and notice that dreaded dead feeling off idle. How long can I run that TPS off..or where is the link to adjust it?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.