oil problem

5 replies to this topic
  • bigdaub

Posted July 23, 2009 - 06:03 PM

i recently changed the oil in my 06 450 and after putting the new oil in and letting the bike run for a minute, i checked the oil again and it was dirty already, almost looked like there was carbon or something in it. i also changed my plug and it was black - too much fuel and not enough air i'm guessing. do i have a major problem with my bike? or is it something easy to fix? thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2009 - 09:27 PM

How many drain plugs did you remove?

Did you remove the dipstick while draining?

Did you change the filter?

How long since the last change?

• Aaron_YZ450F

Posted July 27, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Not to insult your intelligence, but like Grey said did you make sure you removed ALL of the drain plugs? If not, you are only draining oil from certain places and not ALL of the oil and you will still be circulating old oil and possibly overfilling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motox520

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:20 AM

same issue happened with my son's bike last time we did the oil. I've done the oil more than a dozen times in the 2 yrs he's had it. 2004 YZ450F. Last change with new filter, drained oil from all drain plugs w/dip stick removed and oil screen too. Waited till nothing was dripping and even tilted the bike from side to side as usual. Reinstalled everything, filled with about 1.250 qt. of new motorex. Everything fine, rode it that weekend and everything perfect. We go out again the very next weekend, he rides it for about 5 minutes and oil is puking out the dip stick, and it's black and almost smells like gas got in the oil. Just my senses I think it just smelled like gas, not sure, but it shouldn't be dark like that. So, we drained that oil out again same procedure as above but no filter change this time, refilled and put the oil level right in the sweet spot on the dip stick, now it's perfectly clear still and runs perfect after about 3-4 hours on this latest oil. *** went wrong with that one time oil change? That has never ever happened before.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:44 AM

same issue happened with my son's bike last time we did the oil. I've done the oil more than a dozen times in the 2 yrs he's had it. 2004 YZ450F. Last change with new filter, drained oil from all drain plugs w/dip stick removed and oil screen too. Waited till nothing was dripping and even tilted the bike from side to side as usual. Reinstalled everything, filled with about 1.250 qt. of new motorex. Everything fine, rode it that weekend and everything perfect. We go out again the very next weekend, he rides it for about 5 minutes and oil is puking out the dip stick, and it's black and almost smells like gas got in the oil. Just my senses I think it just smelled like gas, not sure, but it shouldn't be dark like that. So, we drained that oil out again same procedure as above but no filter change this time, refilled and put the oil level right in the sweet spot on the dip stick, now it's perfectly clear still and runs perfect after about 3-4 hours on this latest oil. *** went wrong with that one time oil change? That has never ever happened before.

The '04 is slightly different from the '06+. For one thing, though, you overfilled it if you used more than 1100 cc of oil (1.16 Qt) on an oil and filter change.

But the oil level rising between changes clearly means he left the gas on and dribbled fuel into the oil while it sat.

'03-'05 oil change

'06-'09 oil change

• Motox520

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:58 PM

"gas left on" This could very well be the case. I guess I will have to double check his bike everytime he shuts it down for the night and/or when we are in bewtween trips when the bikes are just sitting. Thanks for the info.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.