GYTR insert vs FMF Q

12 replies to this topic
  • TracksNTrails

Posted July 22, 2009 - 06:38 PM

I have an 03 WR450. I am looking for someone who has firsthand experience with these exhaust options, expecially if you've used both. I am wanting to know more about both sound and performance.

Thanks.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 23, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I have used both... currently running the Q with a power bomb header, all originally made for a 06' YZ.

The Q is louder but will still barely squeak by on a standardized sound test at 97 - 98db....

The performance gains with the Q and the header a far above that of the GYTR endcap... almost worth the money:smirk:

Thats the kicker - How much more power do you really need? The Q and header set up is going to be $600 - $800:banghead: while the enlarged endcap is only $45:banana:

• KennyMc

Posted July 23, 2009 - 09:45 AM

+1 on the Q. The Q and powerbomb = $505 here on TT:thumbsup:

• Lennie

Posted July 23, 2009 - 01:18 PM

Q pipe is poor quality though, my one fell apart after a few thousend miles.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 23, 2009 - 01:19 PM

Q pipe is poor quality though, my one fell apart after a few thousend miles.

A few thousand off road miles?

Thats understandable....

• Lennie

Posted July 23, 2009 - 11:33 PM

A few thousand off road miles?

Thats understandable....

Very understandable, its poor quality. :worthy:

Are you saying that its acceptable to have to buy a new $500 exhaust every 2500 miles?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motox04

Posted July 24, 2009 - 06:24 AM

I have used both... currently running the Q with a power bomb header, all originally made for a 06' YZ.

The Q is louder but will still barely squeak by on a standardized sound test at 97 - 98db....

The performance gains with the Q and the header a far above that of the GYTR endcap... almost worth the money:smirk:

Thats the kicker - How much more power do you really need? The Q and header set up is going to be $600 - $800:banghead: while the enlarged endcap is only $45:banana:

When you used the GYTR end cap, did you drill a hole in the second baffle? The size of the outlet is big enough that it is no longer the restricting part of exhaust flow. To get the full benifits you need to drill a 1/2 inch hole into the second baffle.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 24, 2009 - 08:05 AM

Very understandable, its poor quality. :worthy:

Are you saying that its acceptable to have to buy a new $500 exhaust every 2500 miles?

What is it that is failing on the system?

I have broken the rear mount, (clamps), on the FMF in less than 10 miles because the rear tire was a little to wide.... is that the fault of the pipe?

Anything that lasts a few thousand miles of my offroad riding experiences is doing well... and after 2500 miles I have spent MUCH MUCH more than $500 on replacement parts whether it be a new exhaust or a new radiator new subframe, etc......

I would put FMF's quality and workmanship up against leo vince's ANYDAY and that is typically a more expensive system...

Aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are ripping us off, no doubt, but a few thousand offroad miles is hard on everything and if you are crashing, even occasionally, stuff is going to break:excuseme:

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 24, 2009 - 08:07 AM

When you used the GYTR end cap, did you drill a hole in the second baffle? The size of the outlet is big enough that it is no longer the restricting part of exhaust flow. To get the full benifits you need to drill a 1/2 inch hole into the second baffle.

Nope... the bike was winning races and passing sound checks the way it was and I saw no need to take it any further I do understand what you are saying though. How much of an increase in noise did you get?

I did try running w/o the spark arrestor in it but it was a little to loud for my taste.

• motox04

Posted July 24, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Nope... the bike was winning races and passing sound checks the way it was and I saw no need to take it any further I do understand what you are saying though. How much of an increase in noise did you get?

I did try running w/o the spark arrestor in it but it was a little to loud for my taste.

I'm not using a GYTR tip, I made my own and played with the bends in the pipe to help keep the sound down. The pipe is the same size as the GYTR end though and with the SA still installed it is right at 94 on a sound test. The power on it is right with the GYTR tip without the holesdrilled (a friend has the GYTR tip on his) so I'm happy that it is under 96 db, plus I've only spent $15 dollars so far (still trying to get the sound down while keeping the flow up). Not sure on how much louder the GYTR tip is with the holes drilled, probably would be close to the Q at 98ish though. It would also make more power like the Q though too, for 50 dollars instead of $330. Save some money and spend it on a header, or cams!

• kjr247

Posted July 24, 2009 - 06:28 PM

I've got the GYTR insert and the gains are minimal. More noise than power. I got the insert for like $10 bucks so.... These bikes generate great power once the free mods are done.

• TracksNTrails

Posted July 26, 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I have decided to buy the insert for now, however after more reading, I chose the PMB version. Hopefully it will be good. The FMF Q would be nice, but I don't get to ride enough to justify it.

• Pooley

Posted August 07, 2009 - 12:16 PM

On my 01wr426 I have used the GYTR insert, and also an FMF Q with stock header. The FMF Q pipe passes the 94 dB limit here in Michigan, AND the performance is superior to the GYTR insert, especially on the low end. The GYTR insert is rated at 96 dB, so I was having to swap out tips to the Vortip when I would sound check which I didn't really like to do. Now, I sound check and ride with the FMF and don't worry.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.