Threads coming out of oil drain hole?

24 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted August 10, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Well since no one gave me any ideas I just went ahead and pulled the motor out of the frame. The motor now is sitting on the floor and I will start working on the drain bolt as soon as the Time-Sert kit comes.

I was just wondering since the motor is out of the frame and it has all most been 50 hrs since I had rings and a piston put in if I should have new rings and another piston put in? I guess it is time for a new cam chain by now cause it still has the original one in it.

• Wiz636

Posted August 11, 2009 - 09:34 AM

Definitely replace your cam chain, it is extremely cheap insurance. Might as well replace the piston and rings also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted August 11, 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have drained the crankcase oil of it oil ready to repair the drain hole with the time sert thread repair kit.

Do I need to drain the left side of the bike of its oil? Cause when I get done drilling and retapping the right drain hole i want to pour some cheap oil through it to flush any remaining shavings out.

The reason I ask is cause when i pour the cheap oil through I dont know if any will go to the left side. This is on a 06 yz450f.

• dirt_rider_39

Posted August 11, 2009 - 04:43 PM

I have drained the crankcase oil of it oil ready to repair the drain hole with the time sert thread repair kit.

Do I need to drain the left side of the bike of its oil? Cause when I get done drilling and retapping the right drain hole i want to pour some cheap oil through it to flush any remaining shavings out.

The reason I ask is cause when i pour the cheap oil through I dont know if any will go to the left side. This is on a 06 yz450f.

Did you see my other post?? When you are going to drill and tap pressurize the cases with low pressure air, either from shop air or a backwards vacum cleaner...as you drill and tap it will blow the shavings out....:thumbsup:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 14, 2009 - 05:29 PM

well the Time-Sert is now in:banana: I had to remove the motor in order to gain access to the right oil drain bolt. it was a pain to have to remove the motor but it had to be done so I could do a good job on the insert.

One thing i want to let everyone know about these Time-Sert's is..........Yes they do a good job but they have one small downfall.

The drill Bits are not long enough,they could be about one inch longer. Even with the motor off I still couldnt get the drill bit all the way in the hole. I started using a drill but could only go through the drain hole about a quarter of an inch until the chuck of the drill hit the case of the engine.

From there i had to finish drilling the hole by hand The countersink bit was fine and was very sharp and done a good job and so did the tap. The tap never hung up and just kept cutting through the hole like butter. I installed the insert and done like they said and put loctite on the threads.

I kept alot of the shavings out while drilling and tapping but now I have to try and flush the motor out. I dont think there is hardly any shavings in the motor cause i kept cleaning out the hole and even had a cordless vac that had the small attachment on it and I taped a straw to the end of it so I could get way back in the hole.

So in the morning im going to pour about three quarts of oil through it to get any more shavings that may be in there.

I was just wondering, since I didnt drain the left oil drain which I guess is the oil tank,will I have to in order to flush out the case? Or will it be all right to leave that oil in there and just pour oil through to flush out the case(right drain hole)? Iam guessing it will be ok just to leave the oil that is still in the oil tank there and not drain it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.