Listen to TTers!

1 reply to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted July 21, 2009 - 01:45 PM

Just a quick rant, particularly for new TTers, about the great advice you can get here and how on-the-money most of that advice is.

Recently noticed a creaking sound coming from somewhere in the rear suspension. Tore linkages down and it turns out one of my linkages was almost siezed. My bike is an 08 WR450, purchased new in May last year which now has 4500kms on it.

Time and again you'll read in these forums about the need to grease suspension and other bearings from new. This was my first bike (despite riding for almost 30 years!) and to be honest I thought it was overkill. I've always gone through everything on a second hand bike because I thought you never know how its been cared for, but thought on a new bike I'd be okay.

Well I'm eating my words. As mentioned here, bearings were almost dry despite the age of the bike and I'm not in a wet area with heaps of creek crossings and I take care not to spray water into the linkages when cleaning.

Thanks guys, I'll listen a bit more next time! Now if I could just find that last f*&&*ing needle roller that fell on the floor......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 21, 2009 - 03:20 PM

Just a quick rant, particularly for new TTers, about the great advice you can get here and how on-the-money most of that advice is.

Recently noticed a creaking sound coming from somewhere in the rear suspension. Tore linkages down and it turns out one of my linkages was almost siezed. My bike is an 08 WR450, purchased new in May last year which now has 4500kms on it.

Time and again you'll read in these forums about the need to grease suspension and other bearings from new. This was my first bike (despite riding for almost 30 years!) and to be honest I thought it was overkill. I've always gone through everything on a second hand bike because I thought you never know how its been cared for, but thought on a new bike I'd be okay.

Well I'm eating my words. As mentioned here, bearings were almost dry despite the age of the bike and I'm not in a wet area with heaps of creek crossings and I take care not to spray water into the linkages when cleaning.

Thanks guys, I'll listen a bit more next time! Now if I could just find that last f*&&*ing needle roller that fell on the floor......

Don't forget the steering head bearings and anti-sieze on all the un-like metal contacts (tank shroud bolts, rear axle adjusters, etc).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.