The new 2010 look......

85 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted August 17, 2009 - 10:39 PM

With all due respect, that is the dumbest statement i have ever read :thumbsup:

Lean is lean, and yes, it will hurt parts, usually cut the tulips off a valve in the 4Ts.

Ahh, no you didn't. Try to keep the trashy insults to a minimum if you can. Also it would help you to know who your insulting when you finally decide to do so, as Grayracer is just about one of the most knowledgebale guys in these forums, now back to the topic at hand, the 2010 YZs, they look greaT!! The end.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Lean is lean, and yes, it will hurt parts, usually cut the tulips off a valve in the 4Ts.

And if, while it's running lean enough to cause that kind of damage, you notice nothing wrong with how it runs, you are clearly NOT paying attention.

I did not say that a lean condition won't damage a four-stroke. What I did say, and will now repeat, based on over 30 years of professional experience, is that four-strokes are far more tolerant of jetting either richer or leaner than the stoichiometric ideal than a two stroke is, and by the time the AF mixture is so lean as to be dangerous, the engine will develop performance symptoms that are obvious and annoying enough to tell you something isn't right. The damage to the valve edges (healthy valves don't have "tulips") is caused by detonation, which should be audible.

By contrast, a two-stroke will actually run extremely well when it's lean enough to bore through the crown of its own piston.

• motoclay

Posted August 18, 2009 - 12:58 PM

again, no disrespect, sorry, and the tulip im talkin about is the larger diameter at the end of the stem, not talking about the lip that forms over time. I do not need a lesson in how it all works, i respect your knowledge, the wording in the previous statement caught my attention, im sure you are a master of your abilities. But by the same token, you are not the one and only that does. I am not trying to start and argument here.

• mxmaddman

Posted August 18, 2009 - 01:22 PM

yea, I definitely agree you should know when your 4t is too lean. For one your gonna see how hot its running and two they are a pig when lean and pop and crackle if you back off even the slightest amount from wot. You could blow a 4t from being lean, but probably not without knowing its lean.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2009 - 01:25 PM

...the tulip im talkin about is the larger diameter at the end of the stem, not talking about the lip that forms over time.

That is the valve head. The head is at the combustion chamber end of the stem, and the face, which seals against the seat, is ground onto the head. The margin of the valve is that area that hangs out over the valve seat. The margins of exhaust valves need to be thicker in order to carry off the additional heat they are exposed to relative to the intakes. In an engine where valves are reground as a rebuild procedure, the margins must be inspected to be sure they are not made too thin by the process, or that in itself can lead to the kind of damage you referred to, even in the absence of any other problem.

The term "tulip" is association with an engine valve is one of the most often misused terms I've seen on this site. "Tuliping" does not refer to the wearing of a groove into the valve face, but to a problem that is very seldom seen in modern engines because of the advances in metallurgy made in the last 40 years. What it is is this: The valve head becomes weakened, usually by heat, and the pressure of the valve spring deforms the head by pulling the stem farther up into the port, bending the head into a cup shape typical of the tulip flower, thus the name. When you think about it, the wear that takes place on the face, it's the exact opposite of tuliping, giving the valve a flared out appearance.

Not trying to be a PITA, but misuse of nomenclature in technical discussions is the root of about half of all disputes like this.

• motoclay

Posted August 18, 2009 - 03:37 PM

dunno man, you win, 22.000+ posts, what do i know??

• FinchFan194

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:01 PM

dunno man, you win, 22.000+ posts, what do i know??

Don't feel bad I had to learn the hard way too:bonk: I think he puts us all in our place, which I like this is the best and most accurate forum out there and its all thanks to Gray:worthy:

• Justin89

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Don't feel bad I had to learn the hard way too:bonk: this is the best and most accurate forum out there and its all thanks to Gray:worthy:

Agreed. This is the most knowledgeable and laid back forum on here. I have cruised about other forums in the Kawi and Honda section and all you get is trash talk, no response - nonsense. Here, you get short, sweet, thorough and to the point responses. No bs. :worthy::thumbsup: :)

• desert-rat660

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:26 PM

I tried cruising the other forums and all i got was bad gas the honda boys dont take to kindly to us yami's.. :thumbsup:

• FinchFan194

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:37 PM

I tried cruising the other forums and all i got was bad gas the honda boys dont take to kindly to us yami's.. :thumbsup:

It would hurt your feelings too if all your bike did was turn well. . .:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, this is a great forum that we all can learn from and contribute to...more so than any other forum than I have seen on here (though I gotta give props to Roland and all the participants over in the Yami 2T forum).

Much , if not most, of this can be attributed to Gray because he knows whats up and he runs a tight ship...I bet Gray Jr. is finding the Corps relaxing :thumbsup: Also, much of it has to do with the quality of guys that come on here and share their experiences without too much BS...although I have seen Gray wander from time to time :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2009 - 09:22 PM

Roland is a good guy, and very dedicated to improving the quality of the info exchanged on the 2T YZ forum. As for this one, I see the same thing you do; a lot lower incidence of the kind of ... stuff you see in some other places. But many of you have as much to do with the kind of forum this is as I do, so congratulate yourself as well.

• kuafer

Posted August 19, 2009 - 08:05 AM

ok. what about the 2010 yz450f?

is there any new info?

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2009 - 08:29 AM

No. It isn't September yet.

• twenty34

Posted August 19, 2009 - 07:03 PM

very dedicated to improving the quality of the info exchanged on the 2T YZ forum.

There's a fine line between controlling the quality of content vs controlling content in general, which goes against the basic premise of a collaboration forum.

• motoclay

Posted August 20, 2009 - 03:30 PM

whatever......

• Fabulous

Posted August 24, 2009 - 10:49 AM

I had a chance to see the new 2010 250f at my local dealer, and I thought it looked sick in real life! When I initially seen photos I wasn't impressed, but the real deal is really nice looking, and it's super light!! I can't wait to see what the 450 looks like...

• Fr333zy

Posted August 25, 2009 - 07:16 AM

Do shops have the new 2010 YZ250F in stock???? I was told Sept by mine...
I'm close to pulling the trigger and buying one...just waiting for a shootout.
I'd love to see the white one in person...

-Fr333zy

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 25, 2009 - 10:07 AM

we will all have to wait til next month to see what is going to happen.

I was just at my friends yamaha shop about an hour ago talking with him to help me decide what to do. i have a 06 450f that someone here near me wants to buy and I want to sell it so i can get a 2010 yz450f but my friend that has the yamaha shop says that yamaha cut production 50% across the board.

I asked him if i sold my 06 would he be able to get the 2010 450f next month,
his reply was :ride: He said he would be going to the dealer show in a week or two down in charlotte NC. and would know more after going.

He says they are probally going to do the bike shops like the car lots and liquidate them,meaning the smaller dealer ships will have less inventory than the big ones and will probally phase them out.

If the 2010 450f were out now i would be able to get it now cause I would go ahead and sell my 06 and get get it but iam not going to sell mine unless i know for sure if he can get the 2010 450 or i would be without a bike.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2009 - 10:38 AM

I was just at my friends yamaha shop about an hour ago talking with him ...(he) says that yamaha cut production 50% across the board.

Let's give this a little thought before we freak out entirely, shall we? Why would anyone in the business of selling something cut production? The simple answer is that they would do that in response to a reduction in demand; nobody's buying the '08-'09 models, and it's not just the YZ450.

There is no practical benefit to any business in cutting production in order sell fewer units, but there are plenty of reasons to do so in order to avoid another year of surplus stock. Odds are, there will be enough bikes made to match the demand, and if there aren't, you can bet Yamaha will be happy to build more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.