Acerbis 3.3?

8 replies to this topic
  • markvfr

Posted July 21, 2009 - 09:14 AM

There are heaps of posts on IMS vs Clarke gas tanks for the 07-09 WR450 but not much on the Acerbis 3.3.
http://www.justgasta...products_id=347

Anyone got one? How does it fit with rad guards? Quality? Petcock issues?

I need a larger tank pronto for the V2R coming up in a month.

Thanks.
:worthy:

• BajaFool

Posted July 21, 2009 - 07:57 PM

How many ways can you say UGLY!!!! I installed Acerbis 3.3 gallon tanks on my 2003 and 2006 WR450F's and loved them. I hated the KTM XC look of the Acerbis tank for the 2007-2009 WR's. I installed a Clark tank on my 2008 WR450F and I love it. The Clark tank holds 3.4 gallons, is narrow, not top heavy, takes the stock radiator shrouds and seat, fits perfectly, is high quality and the price is right. There has to be a reason that everyone is going Clark, I just gave you the reasons.

• ranger85

Posted July 21, 2009 - 08:17 PM

If I had it to do again I would try IMS or Acerbis. I'm not really impressed with Clarke. The Clarke tank holds 3.6 gallons actually, which is a plus, but it doesn't fill narrow by any means, and with a full tank it puts the center of gravity higher than any other tank until it drinks about a half gallon. The seams are rough and pourous in some places and they drilled a pit for a vent near the filler cap, which they claim is standard on all Clarke gas tanks cause they mass produce them for the dry break fill systems, which I don't know if this is true, or if they were just giving me the run around.

There customer service wasn't very good. I ordered the tank and waited over two weeks, then gave them a call wondering where it was, and they said they were having some "tooling" problems, but it would be out in a day. So I waited two more weeks, and nothing, so I called them again, and it turns out they lost the order. So I finally get the thing another week after that, and I discover the hole (pit) near the fill cap, and the rubber grommets for the mounts are completely shredded and all the other quality problems. So I call them again, and luckily they sent me new grommets. However the mounts don't line up with the stock mounting holes in the frame very well causing me to strip the top mount hole, which I had to re-tap.

So yeah, lol, go with Accerbis or IMS. I've always had good luck with Accerbis products and heard great things about IMS tanks. Hey and not saying that all Clarkes are like that, but they sure put a bad taste in my mouth, and I won't go with Clarke again.

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 22, 2009 - 04:23 AM

How many ways can you say UGLY!!!! I hated the KTM XC

Personally, I really like the look of the KTM XC tanks and it is my impression that this style of tank/radiator guard would provide better/stronger protection for the radiators than the standard thin plastic shrouds that come on most bikes.

So....I too am interested in the Acerbis tank. Anybody actually have one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markvfr

Posted July 22, 2009 - 05:16 AM

Personally, I really like the look of the KTM XC tanks and it is my impression that this style of tank/radiator guard would provide better/stronger protection for the radiators than the standard thin plastic shrouds that come on most bikes.

Exactly. I also don't mind the look of it, and the fuel would be carried lower than either IMS or Clarke. And Bajafool, this thread illustrates why I'm thinking of going to Acerbis. You posted a rave review for Clarke, and the next poster had nothing good to say about it. Seems like a standard in all the IMS/Clarke threads. Who do you believe?

I don't want to get new YZ shrouds for the IMS, especially since I picked up another set of WR shrouds already. And I don't want to get a lemon Clarke and be stuck in the middle of the desert in the middle of a race because of QC issues.

When push comes to shove and no one has any feedback on the Acerbis, I might end up getting one of the other two as I won't be a guinea pig for Acerbis in a long distance desert race.
Come on, no one has the Acerbis 3.3??? :worthy: :banana:

• BajaFool

Posted July 22, 2009 - 11:14 AM

Markvfr,
I can only say that my Clarke tank came in a week; the fit and finish were equal to all of my previous Acerbis tanks; the tank is narrow and does not feel too tall; yes, it has a small dimple in the top for a breather, if you install a Quick Break System; I could have bought the Acerbis tank for half price (yes, I have a VERY good connection) and I bought the Clarke tank.

When you auger in and the unprotected Acerbis tank springs a leak, that desert will suddenly look WAY bigger and empty than you can ever imagine. I rode the SoCal desert for 35 years and I currently ride in Baja, I know about the importance of reliability--- I chose the Clarke tank.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 22, 2009 - 11:35 AM

Anyone got one?

http://www.thumperta...912#post8173912

• motocrotts

Posted July 23, 2009 - 07:25 PM

The KTM XC tanks are great until you ride it. I've owned three of them and sold them all and got a Clarke.

• markvfr

Posted July 24, 2009 - 09:43 AM

Markvfr,
I can only say that my Clarke tank came in a week; the fit and finish were equal to all of my previous Acerbis tanks; the tank is narrow and does not feel too tall; yes, it has a small dimple in the top for a breather, if you install a Quick Break System; I could have bought the Acerbis tank for half price (yes, I have a VERY good connection) and I bought the Clarke tank.

When you auger in and the unprotected Acerbis tank springs a leak, that desert will suddenly look WAY bigger and empty than you can ever imagine. I rode the SoCal desert for 35 years and I currently ride in Baja, I know about the importance of reliability--- I chose the Clarke tank.

Good points BajaFool. I'm making a decision today and I think I'll be going with the Clarke.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

:worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.