DRZ the king

15 replies to this topic
  • FTD

Posted March 26, 2003 - 06:54 AM

Is the DRZ the best selling bike or do the owners just yap alot on this forum?

• renegade

Posted March 26, 2003 - 07:03 AM

We like to talk, it has no corelation to the popularity of the bike, or anything else.

• ddialogue

Posted March 26, 2003 - 09:00 AM

Not sure about it being the best-selling bike but it's great at what it does. My twin (who is a drz owner) does talk a lot! In his defense, however, he can pretty much hang with the guys on his drz. We rode with some TTer's from Colorado while in Moab and he hung right with them. I think he was more tired at the end of the day though. :)

• fastbiker

Posted March 26, 2003 - 10:18 AM

in england it is one of the top ten selling bikes for the past two years and has been voted trail bike of the year for 2002

• alan250f

Posted March 26, 2003 - 10:34 AM

A couple of cliches spring to mind: to each their own, and no accounting for taste. :)

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted March 26, 2003 - 11:56 AM

A couple of cliches spring to mind: to each their own, and no accounting for taste.

"Use the right tool for the job"

• jackalope

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:42 PM

The drz is a fun bike. Key word fun!!!! Race bike????
Then again all bikes are fun compared to a barium enema!!!!

• DRZFamily

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:56 PM

The dealership I do 99% of my business with says they are the best selling bike in it's class. They carry , Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, and KTM. Say they can't get enough DRZ's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaindrive

Posted March 28, 2003 - 10:39 PM

The dealership I do 99% of my business with says they are the best selling bike in it's class

A large part of the reason for that is the fact that Suzuki offers a street-legal version. Someday, maybe Yamaha will wake up and smell the dollars...

My dealer just had his 4th potential buyer (not counting myself) decline to purchase the WR450 he has on his floor (he removed yet another 'HOLD' sticker as he told me this) because the IDiOT (Iowa DOT) won't permit dual-sporting it. I told him I was working on that...

I am supposed to let him know if I win, "because he could sell a sh*tload of them then", he says. I once again asked him to tell that to Yamaha... and to put my name on the first street-legal one they ship him.

• live_to_ride

Posted March 29, 2003 - 05:40 PM

I have learned one thing in the last few years. If you're going to ride on the street, then get a street bike. If you're going to ride off road, then get an off road bike. If you're going to ride motocross, then get a motocross bike. A dirt bike on the road is a fish out of water. It makes about as much sence to me as a bullet bike with long travel suspension and knobies. I used to have a dual sport kit on my yz 426..... for about a week. My next bike will be a wr 450 for sure.

• Hollywood

Posted March 29, 2003 - 06:28 PM

There's nothing better than connecting OHV areas with a couple miles of pavement, or FS roads. Otherwise, you have to load up and drive to get there. My DRZ is a lot of fun for trail and dualsport riding - I wouldn't trade it for the world.

For real fast, dirt only stuff though, my weapon of choice is a KTM 2 smoke!! :)

Hollywood

• Chaindrive

Posted March 29, 2003 - 07:00 PM

I am very happy for you. By your logic, no one needs a 4 wheel drive vehicle either. It might be nice to have such a black and white life and needs. But I do some of each kind of riding. We have no extra space in our MX trailer for another full-sized bike. A bigger trailer is more than I can burden our 20 year old motorhome with.

We travel for the weekend to riding places that are always several miles away from the nearest town. When the need arises for a trip to town, it is great to be able to take my WR, the same bike I have been riding on the track or through the woods all day. What do I need a street bike for? If I race, it is in the +40 class and it is a major achievement for me to place in IT. I don't care. What do I need a pure race bike for? I have just as much fun and there is no room at home for all the boys' trophies as it is.

Later, am I supposed to break camp, load up, relinquish my spot just to go get some ice, make a phone call, or whatever? No way. Am I supposed to tie up thousands of dollars on a dirtbike I might sometimes race (maintaining the boys' bikes and helping with their racing absolutely comes first). I ride and race for fun when and if I can. My WR is perfect (with some tweaking) for that.

I live @2 miles outside of town. If I need to run an errand to the post office, store, etc.; should I fire up my diesel? It won't even get warmed up- and that is hard on engines. I also live 1 mile from the reservoir, 3 from a lake, and am surrounded by endless miles of dirt and gravel roads. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my WR for these things. In fact, it is perfect.

I commute @20 miles each way up the interstate to work. I use my pickup for that. I don't like mixing it up with my fellow commuters even on my DR650 at 70mph. If I do ride it, I take the back roads.

Yes, I do own a "factory dual-sport" (for sale). But it is worthless as an off-road bike. A major mistake and disappointment on my part. Maybe I should try a DR400S, but the bad taste of the DR650 experience won't go away, and I have now been spoiled by the WR. The DR650 can't do half of what my old '83 XL500 could or 1/100th what the WR can. I have owned 1 pure street and 1 pure dirt bike in my life and wasn't happy with either. I am very happy with my dual-sport WR. Only the Iowa DOT sucks right now.

Let me put it this way: If all I had to worry about was MY bike or bikes, fine. Maybe I could deal with pure dirt/pure street (but I would still WANT one all-round bike). But I have 2 rapidly growing boys and 3 to 4 also-growing minis to deal with, too. If it weren't for the fun we have riding together off-road, it is quite possible the only bike I would own would say "Harley Davidson" on it. Or maybe none at all. The cost of one personal bike and the maintenence and insurance is enough for me, at least as long as I have other responsibilities.

For all these reasons, together with the fact that I LIKE versatile vehicles, I respectfully disagree with you 100%. edit: make that 90% >> I DO agree that my next new bike will be a WR450 IF they make a street-legal version.

• DRZFamily

Posted March 30, 2003 - 06:07 AM

I don't know if it the S model that sells so well. The day I was there, just happened to have my E with me. Was asked if I'd like to trade it instead of just buying another bike outright. I don't know or not if he was just making me a deal or wanted the DRZ. I was told he couldn't keep them in stock. I just assumed that it was the DRZ 400 in general that sold so well. That day they had one E, and one kicker on the floor. I was there looking at an RM.

• FTD

Posted March 30, 2003 - 06:09 AM

I want to pilot your Goat!!!

• kawidual

Posted March 30, 2003 - 03:30 PM

A large part of the reason for that is the fact that Suzuki offers a street-legal version. Someday, maybe Yamaha will wake up and smell the dollars...

I agree with you on this for sure, Honda is also missing out. I wanted a street legal
400 I could ride out of the showroom with no DMV or insurance hassles.
Zuki is the best manufacturer as far as giving a wide variety of DS models.

If the CRF450 has an S modle I might have considered spending the extra cash, same with
the WR450. Honda and yamaha should realize as DMVs around the country tighten
the restrictions for DSing bikes they are missing a large part of the market.

The DRZ is very reliable, and yes we do like to talk more then ther average TTer,
although a great many of the posts overthere are not even from DRZ owners...:)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 30, 2003 - 06:17 PM

I wanted a street legal
400 I could ride out of the showroom with no DMV or insurance hassles.
Zuki is the best manufacturer as far as giving a wide variety of DS models.

I agree, If you want a legal DS bike, it's really hard to beat the DRZ...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.