Which would you choose...

12 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 20, 2009 - 05:26 PM

I currently am running the Bridgestone M403 front tire and M404 rear, but my rear tire is getting worn and needs replacing. My M403 front does not need to be replaced, and I am stuck between choosing a new rear tire. The main ones I am considering are the Bridgestone M404, Michelin Starcross, or the Dunlop Geomax...which have you guys had success with? I liked the M404 but I didnt know if there was a better tire available. I am open to other suggestions, but I prefer an intermediate tire.

• e30M3

Posted July 20, 2009 - 05:38 PM

I can't help you out but eventually someone is going to ask about the conditions of where you ride and if your priority is traction or longer lasting.

• Justin89

Posted July 20, 2009 - 06:32 PM

M404...the new Dunlops almost look the same as the 404s

• shuehauls

Posted July 20, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Bridgestone 404

• husqy360

Posted July 20, 2009 - 08:46 PM

the Michelin Starcross worn preety quick.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2009 - 09:46 PM

I'm running a new MX31 Dunlop front in SoCal, mostly desert/sand/DG/silt/rocks, and so far it has been both working and wearing exceptionally well.

One of our Washington State members has reported good results from the MX51 rear, also.

The new Dunlop line appears focused on increasing the tire's durability and broadening the range of soils in which it works. So far, I'm quite pleased.

The type of soils you ride in does make a difference, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 21, 2009 - 01:21 PM

thanks for the quick replies... i tend to ride intermediate packed, and i think i will get another set of the M404. thanks again everyone

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 21, 2009 - 07:57 PM

I'm running a new MX31 Dunlop front in SoCal, mostly desert/sand/DG/silt/rocks, and so far it has been both working and wearing exceptionally well.

One of our Washington State members has reported good results from the MX51 rear, also.

The new Dunlop line appears focused on increasing the tire's durability and broadening the range of soils in which it works. So far, I'm quite pleased.

The type of soils you ride in does make a difference, though.

Gray - From what you have experienced and read, what would be your choice for OWells/Superstition area coming from the 755/952 combo? 31/31, 31/51, 51/51, or 31/952?

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2009 - 10:35 PM

Gray - From what you have experienced and read, what would be your choice for OWells/Superstition area coming from the 755/952 combo? 31/31, 31/51, 51/51, or 31/952?

Well, I'm currently running a 31/952, and that is an improvement over the 755/952, or the 952/952 (which works pretty well). I want to try a 31/31 next. the 51 rear is interesting, too; Wiz636 had some impressive feedback on that one, but I don't know how the tire will fare in the sand. My experience with the 756 vs. 952 in dune sand taught me that the 756 was nowhere near as good in that terrain as the 952.

The thing I think could be improved on the 952 is cornering traction. It behaves very well, but I think it could hold a little better.

• Wiz636

Posted July 22, 2009 - 01:50 PM

I am sold on the MX51 as a rear tire.

I am on my second one now and have ridden everything except pure sand with it but I expect it would do well based on how well it performed recently in some very long steep climbs on very loose, deep and bone dry dirt.

It wears pretty well and does not chunk at all. What impresses me the most is the cornering traction. I don't ride moto but a recent ISDE had a pretty nice moto test section in it and I was able to to get hard on the gas in the berms like never before...to the point that I even started playing around 250f-style, i.e., clutching to the rev limiter and then dumping the clutch at (or before) the apex and exploding out of the turn...very fun :worthy:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 22, 2009 - 02:24 PM

I'm also due for a new rear tire. I'm really tempted to try the MX51 but I'm afraid of what the price will be... my first choice would have been the Kenda Washougal but they seem to be in short supply right now, so I guess I need to do some searching and see what is available and what works best for intermediate terrain.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 22, 2009 - 06:17 PM

Well, I'm currently running a 31/952, and that is an improvement over the 755/952, or the 952/952 (which works pretty well). I want to try a 31/31 next. the 51 rear is interesting, too; Wiz636 had some impressive feedback on that one, but I don't know how the tire will fare in the sand. My experience with the 756 vs. 952 in dune sand taught me that the 756 was nowhere near as good in that terrain as the 952.

The thing I think could be improved on the 952 is cornering traction. It behaves very well, but I think it could hold a little better.

I ordered the 31/31 combo from RockyMountainatv.com today. $121 shipped. I'll report back on how they perform if the dez ever cools off.

• Beanb1

Posted July 22, 2009 - 07:24 PM

I ran a 403/404. When the 404 got warn, I changed to an MX51. The 51 is still on the bike after 6 races and numerous practices. I like the tire a lot better than the 952, that I ran all last year. Colorado is pretty much intermediate type dirts. Grease when wet and concrete when not disked and watered.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.