polishing frame

9 replies to this topic
  • jason white

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:07 PM

Any suggestions on polishin the aluminum frame? Looks like it will be easier to clean.

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:16 PM

to get the best and easiest shine you gotta do some sanding first..you gotta get the frame down to smooth bare aluminum...the easiest thing to do is wet sand it with 600 to 800 girt first and finish it up with 12-1500 grit..wet sanding isnt neccesary but it dose help keep the paper clean when you sand it...using a DA sander will make things 1000 times easier too...

find some one that has a electric buffer for cars for the first polish job...this will help make it easier too...i noticed if you get good polish job on the first shot its easier to keep up on the shine...i usually clean my frame with soap and water with the rest of the bike and re-polish it every 3 or so washes with some mothers

• 2000yzf426

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:31 PM

start sanding, i use to polish cast aluminium canoe and kayak molds right from the foundry to a mirror shine, when i did my swing arm i started with 200 and when to 1500. important thing is to so make sure that with each grit you sand all the lines from the previous grit completly out.

heres a pic of my swing arm after a seasons worth of riding when i tore the bike town to get powder coated
Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted July 27, 2009 - 01:20 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 27, 2009 - 06:04 AM

that had to be chemical polished!?!?!?! no way some one did all that by hand

Looks killer by the way:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snookdude87

Posted July 27, 2009 - 06:21 AM

I would be worried about taking that offroad and gettin it dirty. It looks way to good. :worthy:

• saccityfire

Posted July 27, 2009 - 07:14 AM

Some places have long cold winters and there's nothing better to do than polish your frame. I agree that the way to go is sand paper and the hardest part is to make sure that you get all of the lines out as you go (Also try to get all sanding lines going in one direction if doing it by hand). If you hurry to the next grit it will end up shiny but will still have scratches that will never come out unless you go back to the offending grit and get em out.

I polished a steel axe head like this and it looked chromed when I was done.

I use SOS pads to clean my frame and it does a great job of shining it up although there is no mirror finish like this bike has.

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 27, 2009 - 01:14 PM

i just noticed the lower fork legs and shock shaft have the DLC coating on them...sick

• Stroker06

Posted July 27, 2009 - 07:34 PM

That looks awesome!!:worthy: Was it done by hand or using a DA? We get really long winters here and besides plowing, I would have no problem spending weekends doinng that, but I don't have a compressor or a DA, and would like to achieve that same quality by hand if possible.
I also think they should come from the factory looking like that as a SE model even if the cost was a bit more, rather than just different color plastics and BNG

• Jibba

Posted July 28, 2009 - 12:10 AM

WOW that looks trick! Thinking of doing the same, lucky my uncle is a panel beater and has all the gear to achieve this.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.