Rekluse Z-Start Pro thoughts on 02 WR426

18 replies to this topic
  • mxrider97

Posted July 19, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thinking of getting the Rekluse z-start pro for my 02 wr426. I am wondering if anyone out there has tried it on this bike and what they thought about it. Is it really worth the 600+$ ?

Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:19 PM

For what reason, stalling?

• 2fiddyx

Posted July 20, 2009 - 01:28 PM

The Rekluse Pro, or any other autoclutch, is one of the best mods for trail riding and racing. I dont know about mx, but hare scrambles, enduros, dual sporting its just plain silly to not have one. My clutches last longer and I dont have to worry about stalling when locking the rear up or making a mistake. Plus you can stop on a hill and motor up it without excessive wheel spin.

And Beta is putting them on their bikes from the factory....

Sent you a pm also.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 20, 2009 - 04:31 PM

I guess I am just too old school for my own good.

My feeling of having an auto-clutch is that it is like cheating.

Not literally of course.

• 2fiddyx

Posted July 21, 2009 - 03:42 AM

To me it just makes riding that much more enjoyable. You can do some stupid things and the autoclutch will make you look like you know what you are doing.

• usmcpaul

Posted July 21, 2009 - 03:54 AM

Best mod I have done yet.

It makes riding much more enjoyable for me. I ride mainly MX.

I won't have a bike without one anymore.

Check e-bay for a used one. You can get a good used one for half that amount if you are patient.

• mxrider97

Posted July 21, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I like the bike but when crossing logs and getting in the tight stuff on a bigger four stroke can get tricky sometimes. Looks like I am going to get a Rekluse now. Then you can just focus on riding..

• ncampion

Posted July 22, 2009 - 05:41 AM

The Rekluse is like cheating, but at my age I need all the help I can get. It is clearly the single best modification I have made to the bike and would not ride without it. The drag racing people learned long ago that slipping the clutch was much better than spinning the tires. Same is true for dirt bikes. More controlable traction.

• tunefx

Posted July 22, 2009 - 08:11 PM

The Rekluse is like cheating, but at my age I need all the help I can get. It is clearly the single best modification I have made to the bike and would not ride without it. The drag racing people learned long ago that slipping the clutch was much better than spinning the tires. Same is true for dirt bikes. More controlable traction.

I would agree so far. I bought the new Rekluse EXP, a new design that doesn't use bearings like the Z-Start Pro. I say "so far" because I just spent my first two back-to-back days on it a week ago. I'm sold. Once dialed in correctly I could use the clutch normally if I wanted to or simply let the Rekluse do it's thing. I ride hare scrambles mainly. I realize this isn't the exact same clutch but I've ridden friends bikes with the Z-Start also. They want the EXP now. However, I don't know if they make it for the 426. I used to perform my starts in second. Now I'm thinking third is better. I still need to test it more. In the woods sections it's a dream. Seems impossible to stall, even after falling. You will enjoy either the Z or EXP--I have no doubt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2fiddyx

Posted July 23, 2009 - 03:54 AM

Rekluse does not make the EXP for the 426.
They have it for the:
07-09 WR450
99-09 YZ250
05-09 YZ450F

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I have a 05' WR450 and I just installed a Z-Start Pro. All I can say is Holy Crap, it is cheating! In all my years of riding some of the worst, slippery, gnarly trails on this planet, I thought I was good at accurate clutching and getting solid traction and power to the ground. After riding with my auto clutch it is clear how far off I was. I sucked compared to the auto clutch... The gnarlier it gets, the more I like it.

Of course you get all the comments from your friends like handicapped, or panty clutch, or whatever but I just smile and rave about the fricking thing! I love it and will put one on every bike I get. It makes long punishing days a lot easier. I was asked by one of my long time riding friends, "How is that thing?" I told him, "Well, it doesn't make you any tougher..." :thumbsup:

• crf150rrocks

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:38 AM

cheaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 01:24 PM

i can see where it would help out alot. just the diffrence on some manual 4 wheelers to the auto clutch ones is how i know. but i think my self i will never put one on a bike. i guess im just old school that way.

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 08:50 PM

What's the difference in the Z-start and the Z-start Pro (other than price)?

• 2fiddyx

Posted August 11, 2009 - 03:48 PM

The Pro lets you use your clutch lever like you normally would...you dont need to though. Some people like it. The regular Rekluse works just fine without the additional cost. Get the perch adjuster. :thumbsup:
I've had one one 4 diiferent bikes and love it.

PM me if you want to talk about it more.

• pablo83

Posted August 11, 2009 - 05:48 PM

The Pro lets you use your clutch lever like you normally would...you dont need to though. Some people like it. The regular Rekluse works just fine without the additional cost. Get the perch adjuster. :thumbsup:
I've had one one 4 diiferent bikes and love it.

PM me if you want to talk about it more.

so on the non-pro is the clutch lever useless all the time?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 15, 2009 - 06:23 PM

I got a rekluse pro on my yz250 that I use for racing. It helps when you need to paddle your way up a hill and just want to use the throttle. However, when you do use it for slow technical stuff, your clutch gets real, real hot, real, real fast.

It think its best to ride like you don't have it and let it help you.

Extreme downhills are absolutely scary without engine braking. That is the downside.

Once I get to the point where I don't stall on hills as much, I'm taking it off. Then I'll get back my engine braking going down the hill, which is a whole lot more dangerous than going up.

I recommend it though.

• tribalbc

Posted August 15, 2009 - 07:40 PM

I love my standard clutch. I couldn't live without it :thumbsup:
I like the freedom to choose engine braking, free roll, slipping.
I always have 2 fingers on my clutch, don't think about it, just clutch as needed.

I also love to do big impossible hillclimbs and the thought of it free rolling when I can't make a hill scares me :worthy:
Even with stalling it and grabbing a handfull of front brake it can be hard to stop yourself from sliding back down.

• jdg211707

Posted August 16, 2009 - 08:08 PM

I got a rekluse pro on my yz250 that I use for racing. It helps when you need to paddle your way up a hill and just want to use the throttle. However, when you do use it for slow technical stuff, your clutch gets real, real hot, real, real fast.

It think its best to ride like you don't have it and let it help you.

Extreme downhills are absolutely scary without engine braking. That is the downside.

Once I get to the point where I don't stall on hills as much, I'm taking it off. Then I'll get back my engine braking going down the hill, which is a whole lot more dangerous than going up.

I recommend it though.

the heat issue is what made me decide not to get one. cooling upgrades are also needed ive read.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.