Clutch will not disengage fully

10 replies to this topic
  • john082603

Posted July 19, 2009 - 04:00 PM

2001 RM125 Clutch will not disengage fully so when I put the bike in gear it jumps pretty hard and stalls sometimes. Then if I try to sit still the bike pulls some. This is true when I am squeezing the lever to the grip. So far I have adjusted the thing at the lever it self and that does not fix this issue. Do I need to mess with the adjustment that is in the cable (you know right the thing with bolts where the cable comes together under the front number plate).:worthy:

• mach8

Posted July 19, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Sometimes that is a sign of the clutch basket being grooved badly.

• dogfish

Posted July 19, 2009 - 04:25 PM

and or the inner hub. Sounds like its time for clutch work. :worthy:

• MXandy63

Posted July 19, 2009 - 05:30 PM

Yeah I had a CR250 do that and it turned out to be not only really bad wear on the basket and hub but the clutch plates were slightly warped as well.Better off to check it all.Only takes a few extra minutes.Put all the steel plates stacked and you can see light through them(viewed from the side of course) if they are warped.Good luck.

• john082603

Posted July 19, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks y'all. Nothing like experience :worthy:

• hobo99

Posted July 19, 2009 - 08:01 PM

just throwing it out there: if the metal "actuator" the the clutch cable goes to-that goes in the case- was off by a spline or two by the clutch basket the clutch wont fully engadge or disengage. its something to check while your in there.

p.s. when i try to run my quad from a cold start the clutch gets grabby because there is not enough warm oil in between the plates.

• alex211

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:41 PM

Clutch basket and inner hub are probably hammered. I have gone through two sets already.

• dirtynidge

Posted July 20, 2009 - 10:28 PM

just throwing it out there: if the metal "actuator" the the clutch cable goes to-that goes in the case- was off by a spline or two by the clutch basket the clutch wont fully engadge or disengage. its something to check while your in there.

p.s. when i try to run my quad from a cold start the clutch gets grabby because there is not enough warm oil in between the plates.

My RMX is exacly the same, when cold grabs (pretty badly) after 10 mins riding, no problem. I have heard to try ATF to eliminate this but havent done it. Certainly wont fix a grooved basket!!

• killerdwarf77

Posted July 21, 2009 - 04:43 AM

For the few bucks that the ATF type F will cost you, try it! You may surprise yourself! Riding the bike for 10 minutes doesn't fix a grooved basket either LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

• dirtynidge

Posted July 21, 2009 - 07:29 PM

For the few bucks that the ATF type F will cost you, try it! You may surprise yourself! Riding the bike for 10 minutes doesn't fix a grooved basket either LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

You're dead right, I wish it did!!

Give ATF a try

I just meant it may help if oil viscosity is the issue but wont be much use if his basket is grooved, although from some posts you see on here about ATF in the tranny, you would believe it will fix famine and 3rd World debt

• killerdwarf77

Posted July 22, 2009 - 04:51 AM

Type F atf will definately fix grabby, slow disengaging clutches providing there is no mechanical issues causing the problem. If you try the atf, and the problem is still there after warm up, and a ride... well then, you have a mechanical problem. If the type F eliminated the problem, and you like what it did and you decide to keep on using it, you may find your shifting seems a little notchy. To cure that, mix 500 ml of type F, and 250 ml of cheap, non EC 10w/40 together. Motorcycle specific, or 15/40 diesel oil I have found work great! This mix will keep your tranny working buttery smooth for a long time. I change it fairly often, usually after 2 racedays. It's cheap, so keep it fairly fresh:thumbsup: I bought my 04 250, 3 yrs. ago. I'm not hard on clutches, but I'm not easy either. I just rebuilt my motor top to bottom, and measured the clutches, and tranny. EVERYTHING was well within spec! My basket, and hub were grooved but a file helped take care of some of it. Everything works great, and the clutch lever pull is now pretty smooth again:thumbsup: 3 plus years on the same clutch using an ATF motor oil mix=:banana: :worthy: from me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.