2009 YZ450 LE Ride Report

19 replies to this topic
  • Chop Shop

Posted July 19, 2009 - 08:32 AM

After 2 weeks of non-stop travel I arrived home from a business trip in Mexico and found that my wife had picked up my new bike from the dealer and had it sitting there waiting for me... What an awesome surprise!

I will give a little back story..... So I started racing in 1981 at 11 years old, made my way up through the schoolboy ranks and moved into the intermediate class in Canada right on schedule. Moved to the A class at 17 and started running real well before numerous injuries sidelined me for the next couple seasons. By the time college came around I was over it and moved on to cars, street bikes etc..... Fast forward to 2002, I was doing a lot of track days on my GSXR1000 and noticed at one track there were a couple guys doing Supermoto, it looked fun. So in the fall of 2002 I picked up an 02 CRF450 to do SuperM..... It never happened!!! I went to ride at an MX track and fell in love, sold the road bikes and have been at it hard ever since.
Learning to ride again on a 4 stroke was different, and I struggled at first, but it started coming together, and I am having a blast.

I have had an 02-04-05 & 06 CRF's. I started racing again and run the A class at my local tracks, but have not hit any Am Nats or anything.... Anyway, on to the bike....

After being on Hondas since I started riding I was used to the way the power came on and got accustomed to the harsh forks. I really liked my bikes, the 06 had Oversized Braking wave rotor up front, MB1 suspension, and a whole host of other good bits and pieces that made it perfect for me. I liked that one enough that I kept it.

The white YZ just looks so trick to me, the black wheels and the color combo on the graphics is a winner. I immediately pulled the swingarm/linkage and steering head to add some grease. I assume that the sticky grease that Yamaha uses is to keep everything in place during assembly more than for lube..The stuff is thin and tacky!

I checked all fluids, added some gas and fired her up... Noticed that the pipe was very very quiet, and the engine noise was very different than the Honda's. Seemed more refined if that's possible.

Got to the track and took 4-5 sighting laps to more or less run in the engine and not get on it hard. I pulled in and let it cool completely, checked all fluids and headed out to get a real ride.

The track was very rutted and hard packed, not the norm for this track, but it was what I had to play with. The ruts don't normally bother me but there was several times where I just did not have the confidence that I would have on my old bike, more of a lack of confidence in the front wheel but I'll chock that up to learning a new bike than a problem. There was definitely a weird sensation up front on the loose hard pack. One section of the track is a long straight that turns to the gradually turns lefts as you are in 4th gear.

The YZ would turn into this section but always gave a feeling halfway through that the front end was not getting traction. Like it is pushing through the corner!!! It was a strange feeling not feeling connected up front. To get past this I was having to run further into the loose dirt and holding it WFO in 4th and sliding the rear to keep the bike turning. Could be the 742, could be the track conditions...maybe I need to re-check sag. All I know is sitting on the tank did not help, I was 4th gear tapped and as far over the bars as I could get.

Suspension was UNBELIEVABLE.... The SSS system was hands down the nicest stock stuff I have been on. It was very good, probably as good as any of the re-valved stuff I have run in the past. I will be playing with different sag and clicker positions, but will likely ride it as is this year. I did notice that after my first ride the rear suspension was a lot softer than when I started so I will be looking to see if I am anywhere near the 100mm. That could be my front end push!
The back brake was out of this world compared to any Honda! I had to really watch the pressure I put on the peddle as I locked it up several times. I think I will drop the height of the peddle a little... The front was good, but I'm biased towards my oversized one.

The very quiet pipe... I like the quiet, but it is for sure plugging this bike up! Bottom end is soft, when you have a 40ft seat bounce double out of a corner that was easy on my CRF, this bike was struggling to clear it. Even with heavy throttle and a load of clutch, I was just getting over. 1 extra tooth in the rear would help, but I was already running a gear higher on the fast sections compared to my CRF so I would prefer to keep the stock ratio.
Top end was also pretty soft, so the pipe has got to go.... Anyone have advice? will a slip on be enough or am I looking at a full system?

Fit and finish is top notch. There are differences between the YZ and CRF but the build quality, types of fasteners, bars, ergos etc... are all top of the line.

That's it for now, cant wait for the second ride...

• jeffboyd47m

Posted July 19, 2009 - 01:05 PM

I would recomend a DRD aluminum stainless system. It is a great system and a great value for the price. It really wakes up your 450.
JB

• Justin89

Posted July 19, 2009 - 03:10 PM

I would recomend a DRD aluminum stainless system. It is a great system and a great value for the price. It really wakes up your 450.
JB

Amen:thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted July 19, 2009 - 05:07 PM

I'd try a 50t rear sprocket first...or go the Dr.D route

• Chop Shop

Posted July 20, 2009 - 06:28 AM

Thanks guys. Will a slip on suffice or do I need to go full system. The stock head pipe looks very large compared to a full system from Dr.D

Got a chance to check Sag again after break in. Was sitting around 106mm. So I will be tightening that up and looking to be at 100mm again. See if that makes the front feel better in the corner.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2009 - 08:09 AM

You'll get noticeably better results from a full system, but with the '08/'09's, you can get impressive results from almost anything you put on it. Not so much at the top at all, but expect a big gain at around 5000 rpm.

The DRD SS is clearly one of the best working systems you can have overall, and a very good value.

• Chop Shop

Posted July 20, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Gray... just what I was looking for.
1 more question... are most guys running the rear bar mount hole with the eccentric mounts in the forward position. I dont find the ergo's cramped, but maybe a touch low. I'll try the front hole with mounts closer to the center

• Chop Shop

Posted July 22, 2009 - 04:59 PM

OK so I got another ride today and there was some noticed improvement in the things I disliked.
The bike feels really good now and the push that I was experiencing is almost gone. Its still there but you just kinda get used to it. So far I have changed
1. moved the bar mounts to the forward hole in the clamps.
2. Pulled forks up 6mm in clamps
3. Set sag at 100mm (again)
4. dropped rear brake peddle so it is level with footpeg. Stock it was half inch higher.
5. adjusted clickers to 12 and 12 on forks
6. bumped compression 1 on the shock

I think the push or unsettled feeling up front is the 742.... I hate pitching a brand new tire, but I think a 756 is in order..

• johnnylock

Posted July 22, 2009 - 06:48 PM

Chop, how tall of a guy are you? Curious about what your thoughts were on the adjustable bar mounts.

• saccityfire

Posted July 22, 2009 - 08:29 PM

Chop, Sounds like you're much faster than I am (over the hill novice to intermediate level) but I noticed all of the things you talked about when my 09' 450 was new and the suspension wasn't yet broken in.

I've noticed that the front sticks for me and I can change lines at will with the sag @ 96mm ( I had to reset this a few times as the spring softened and with over 20 riding hours on the bike hope it has settled for good)

Forks are stock height.

I'm 6'1" and 175 and like the stock bars at the farthest forward setting (front hole, forward rotation)

I change compression and rebound @ every track (and am slower) so it's pointless to give my settings here suffice to say light bottoming on biggest obstacle, balanced front to rear. High speed compression did get turned in 1/4 turn and stays that way.

Added fork air bleed valves and that also helps to relieve pressure between runs and keep front end low in turns. This is also convenient due to the bar position blocking easy access to the vent screws.

There was no lithium grease inside the dust caps on the forks when I took them apart to re-grease. Added some and the forks are more plush with noticeably less stiction.

The axle blocks are off on their alignment marks and I used the tool suggested on this site to check for and correct this.

Good post though as I was wondering about a new pipe myself! Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted July 22, 2009 - 08:53 PM

Chop, Sounds like you're much faster than I am (over the hill novice to intermediate level) but I noticed all of the things you talked about when my 09' 450 was new and the suspension wasn't yet broken in.

I've noticed that the front sticks for me and I can change lines at will with the sag @ 96mm ( I had to reset this a few times as the spring softened and with over 20 riding hours on the bike hope it has settled for good)

Forks are stock height.

I'm 6'1" and 175 and like the stock bars at the farthest forward setting (front hole, forward rotation)

I change compression and rebound @ every track (and am slower) so it's pointless to give my settings here suffice to say light bottoming on biggest obstacle, balanced front to rear. High speed compression did get turned in 1/4 turn and stays that way.

Added fork air bleed valves and that also helps to relieve pressure between runs and keep front end low in turns. This is also convenient due to the bar position blocking easy access to the vent screws.

There was no lithium grease inside the dust caps on the forks when I took them apart to re-grease. Added some and the forks are more plush with noticeably less stiction.

The axle blocks are off on their alignment marks and I used the tool suggested on this site to check for and correct this.

Good post though as I was wondering about a new pipe myself! Thanks.

Yea OTHG! When is your guys' next race in Marysville? I can't believe the amount of you guys there are that show up to the races. I race Estreet, Marysville, and Hangtown if you're ever out there. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming:busted: :worthy: .....

• adamdf

Posted July 23, 2009 - 04:07 PM

CHOP, about the pipe. Grayracer is 100 percent correct in that the stock exhaust is so much junk, that anything you replace it with will be a great improvement. If you want value for your money, DRD is a good option, also MRD is great, i just put an MRD system on my 09 KXF 450 and love it, the quality is great, performance is too, and looks nice, the service is excellent, Dave(the owner) is a cool guy that posts on here sometimes (which to me is a good thing, you know he is involved in what he makes since he listens to what we have to say about his stuff on here) and also its got a great warranty. So those two brands i would say to go for. You can go pro circuit or FMF etc but to me that is just more of a bling thing for the money than anything else, yes they do perform, but your not getting $400 dollars more (the average price difference) in performace with any of the big brands, thats how it look at it. Hope that helped.

• Chop Shop

Posted July 24, 2009 - 05:27 AM

Chop, how tall of a guy are you? Curious about what your thoughts were on the adjustable bar mounts.

Im 6'0 190lbs. the forward mount with the eccentric mounts in the rear position feels really good. I run the bars in a standard position so it was a perfect fit for me. It made it very easy to be forward when standing and entering a corner.

• Summotard 75

Posted August 17, 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hi guys, I was reading some of your comments, trying to figure out if I have a common problem with my bike. I recently bought a 2009 yz450 and I just noticed, while I was performing some post break in maintenance, that the bike seems to push heavily toward the right when I let go of the bars. I took up the chain slack and made sure the rear wheel spun true (adjusted the rear axle blocks) but that didn't seem to help. Also, I notice the same instability/choppy feel in the front end on harder packed terrain. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any suggestions as this is bugging me.

• Chop Shop

Posted August 17, 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi guys, I was reading some of your comments, trying to figure out if I have a common problem with my bike. I recently bought a 2009 yz450 and I just noticed, while I was performing some post break in maintenance, that the bike seems to push heavily toward the right when I let go of the bars. I took up the chain slack and made sure the rear wheel spun true (adjusted the rear axle blocks) but that didn't seem to help. Also, I notice the same instability/choppy feel in the front end on harder packed terrain. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any suggestions as this is bugging me.

not sure why the bike pushed right... but ditch the 742 front tire. Made a huge difference up front

• Dan_187

Posted August 17, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Having trouble feeling connected to the front wheel? Welcome to team Blue :thumbsup: :worthy:

• bendover932

Posted August 18, 2009 - 02:47 AM

" and I just noticed, while I was performing some post break in maintenance, that the bike seems to push heavily toward the right when I let go of the bars"

I'm not really getting what you mean.... During maitenance the bike pushes to the right when u let go of the bars?... Do u mean while On a stand the bars fallto the right when u let go?...are u riding during maintenance? Lol

• davcon

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:36 AM

What tool are you referring to? Thanks

• bendover932

Posted August 18, 2009 - 06:39 AM

i know motion pro makes a "chain alignment tool"..for around $25 i believe ...not sure if thats what he was referring to or not...it clamps to your rear sprocket and has about an 8" rod that points toward the front sprocket just above the chain to aid in aligning the rear wheel...

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:46 AM

What tool are you referring to? Thanks

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=548940

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.