Crashed and cracked my case help!

1 reply to this topic
  • KenG

Posted July 19, 2009 - 07:46 AM

I was out yesterday and the trail split two ways at a steep downhill around a large rock to the left the trail was a little more than tire wide and to the right it dropped into a 2 ft deep rut; i chose to go left but I bounced off a rock and it threw me into the rut just as I was at the big rock anyways I crashed and my left radiator got smashed along with my left engine case cover, the round starter cover took the brunt of the hit and was laying in the trail. My starter is OK and I found all the gears. The monting bolt for the starter that on the transmission is broken and my cluch shaft got sheared off at the transmission. The bike started on the first kick to check it out but it resulted in a long push to get home. Anyways I need to decide what to do I was thinking if a YZ case cover will fit (I don't know if it would even work)I would ditch the starter due to broken transmission mount and drop some weight. Does anyone have any advice on what to do with this bad situation?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:33 PM

I was out yesterday and the trail split two ways at a steep downhill around a large rock to the left the trail was a little more than tire wide and to the right it dropped into a 2 ft deep rut; i chose to go left but I bounced off a rock and it threw me into the rut just as I was at the big rock anyways I crashed and my left radiator got smashed along with my left engine case cover, the round starter cover took the brunt of the hit and was laying in the trail. My starter is OK and I found all the gears. The monting bolt for the starter that on the transmission is broken and my cluch shaft got sheared off at the transmission. The bike started on the first kick to check it out but it resulted in a long push to get home. Anyways I need to decide what to do I was thinking if a YZ case cover will fit (I don't know if it would even work)I would ditch the starter due to broken transmission mount and drop some weight. Does anyone have any advice on what to do with this bad situation?

A couple months ago I fixed a bike that had a broken case. If you want it to be done right there's just no way around it, you have to split those cases and have a machine shop fix the broken case. The cases are cut in pairs at the factory, so trying to mate two cases from different sets is usually not recommended, for fitment and clearance reasons.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.