topeak "panoram" computer

37 replies to this topic
  • Tree_Crippler

Posted March 30, 2001 - 12:56 PM

I would not have bought this product unless the sensor came with it. It works great and I'm more impressed with the sensor than the display. Service has been great thru Geoff and the price is right.

• sclaus

Posted March 30, 2001 - 09:47 PM

Geoff (from Trail Tech) and I installed a Panoram on my '01 WR426 and we found that it was initially reading 2x and/or 4x the actual speed. It turns-out that the bolts on the new Yam that hold the front rotor on have some magnetism to them. The sensor is pretty sensitive so it pick's-up the signal from the bolts. Geoff already has a fix (which is a different sensor and cable). After figuring it out, mine works great! :) If you'd like to see it search for "WR426 Dash board" and check out the ProTaper install on my bike. Geoff did a great job! :D

• Redbird87

Posted March 31, 2001 - 07:23 PM

Please elaborate on how to modify sensor for the 01 Wr426. I just installed my panoram and can't seem to get it configured.

• cetris

Posted April 01, 2001 - 03:32 AM

Topeak Question- When configuring the computer, there are some small numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, etc) that appear on the display when entering the intervals for maintenance and/or oiling. What's this all about? Is there more than one entry for each of these intervals...or what? Can't seem to figure it out.

Oh yeah, great product at a great price. Wish I'd of thought of it. :-)

Chuck- Charlotte, NC

• JAFChE

Posted April 01, 2001 - 03:59 PM

Originally posted by cetris:
Topeak Question- When configuring the computer, there are some small numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, etc) that appear on the display when entering the intervals for maintenance and/or oiling. What's this all about? Is there more than one entry for each of these intervals...or what? Can't seem to figure it out.

Chuck,

The small numbers are the "Hundreds" digits for the mileage you set on the maintenance or oil change intervals. They are to the right, and above, the 2 digits in the 10ths and hundredths position for the mileage.

The manual (if you can call it that) that comes with the Panoram is not really clear on some of the features.

Geoff at TrailTech knows more about the computer than Topeak does!

I've had good luck with my Panoram and with Geoff's new mounting bracket for the stock ODO mount, I was able to get rid of the floppy ODO cable that KTM uses and make a really neat, and sanitary, installation on my 400E/XC.

Jeff

------------------
No Brain, No Pain!
01' KTM 400EXC
01' Yamaha TTR-125L
01' Yamaha TTR-90
00' Honda XR50R

• cetris

Posted April 02, 2001 - 07:09 AM

JAFChe,

Ahhh, now that makes sense. I was wondering how you set any interval for a distance greater than 99 miles. Yeah, the manual leaves a lot to be desired. It covers some of the functions pretty clearly, but I don't think it mentioned these numbers being the hundreds digit anywhere.

Thanks a lot.

Chuck- Charlotte, NC

• joecallan

Posted April 06, 2001 - 04:02 PM

my magnet keeps coming off! I've used the glue, jb weld, and epoxy. Tips?

• jj

Posted April 06, 2001 - 04:35 PM

Joe I've had problems keeping mine on as well. I've had success using fast drying Super glue. It's actually held just fine but I also plan on adding some of Trailtechs epoxy for good measure.

THANK YOU GEOFF!!!!! :) :D :D :D :D

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted April 06, 2001 - 05:32 PM

Joe,
Try roughing up one side of the magnet and try to cover the backside of it liberally with epoxy.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted April 13, 2001 - 08:30 PM

for anyone having trouble with sensor or magnet falling off.i recommend going to a hobbie shop and buying "cycoacrylate glue"[its similar to super glue only concentrated].you can get it with different cure times and thickness.i perfer extra thick maxi-cure.this stuff is super strong,easy to apply[no mixing anddrys in seconds.a 14.2g bottle cost about $5 which is cheap compared to crazyglues $1.99 .5g tube.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 13, 2001 - 11:20 PM

Cyanoacrylate is good glue for many things, but is very brittle when cured, which could be a problem in this application. It is also a glue that needs to be compressed very thin to bond properly, which means you would have little of it on the magnet and rotor. The stock epoxy has worked fine for me. I'm guessing that those having problems with it are not putting a thick enough layer on the back side of the magnet/rotor.

• freestyle111

Posted April 14, 2001 - 07:58 PM

some cycoacrylate glue can become brittle when it cures.that why i recommended the maxi cure it cures a little slower which makes it more solid.i also said get the extra thick then you dont have to use a thin layer ive used it to fill holes and large cracks on my r.c. boat [sometimes appling multiple coats building it up to 1\4 thick and never had any problems]my boats topspeed is 80mph glue always holds even at crashes at that speed.i found that epoxy didnt bond to hub as well the cycoacrylate glue gets a better bite.

• joecallan

Posted April 14, 2001 - 09:51 PM

I roughed up both surfaces, cleaned them with solvent, used a huge amount of JB weld and let it cure for a day.

SO, far so Good!

thanks for the tips!

• WRFjock

Posted May 08, 2001 - 08:15 PM

I recently installed one on my WR250F, and had some problems with the sensor not triggering properly. :)

I emailed Triltech, and they were fall over themselves to help, and ended up offering to send a replacement sensor, without me having to ask.

Great Customer service ! :D

• wrpunisher

Posted May 10, 2001 - 12:48 PM

Anyone have any tips for keeping dust off of the computer screen? I only have one ride on mine, and I scratched up the screen by wiping it clean with my glove while riding.

There's a note on the TrailTech web site about how to clean off the scratches, which I'll do. I just want to be able to see it while riding. It collected dust really fast. Any thoughts?

Great product btw - installation instructions were superb, functionality is great, price is right. Nice!

• Derek_Burns

Posted May 10, 2001 - 02:49 PM

I've tried many places and ways of holding the magnet....
best way so far is, on 2001 models.... bond the magnet inside one of the donut rivets around the brake disk (rotor)

Trailtech have given me very good customer sevice even over here in the UK

• WRFjock

Posted May 14, 2001 - 08:13 PM

wrpunisher

I left the plastic tape on mine when i installed it, i know it'll come off one day, but i guess I can stick something similair back on?

• Gary_Martin

Posted May 24, 2001 - 07:51 PM

Hey "guyb63" have you got your mastercard statement yet? How much did the speedo end up costing, and how hard was the bracket to make (I have an EXC as well)...

Cheers
Gary
Victoria - Oz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.