How to make my 07 YZ450f more like a WR for off road racing

12 replies to this topic
  • domscorda732

Posted July 18, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Any advice? what works?

I've already put in a rekluse clutch and rear brake kit, but I have issues with stalling when on a tight hill climb and I chop the throttle.
Also the bike is a little harsh for long distances. Fast though.
Fuel milage? Bigger tank?

Has anyone made one of these into an offroad race machine? Not just moto?

I'm too old and frail to moto anymore...

• 426 NOOB

Posted July 18, 2009 - 04:23 PM

Any advice? what works?

I've already put in a rekluse clutch and rear brake kit, but I have issues with stalling when on a tight hill climb and I chop the throttle.
Also the bike is a little harsh for long distances. Fast though.
Fuel milage? Bigger tank?

Has anyone made one of these into an offroad race machine? Not just moto?

For the stalling problem I would strongly advise you to invest in a flywheel weight (as many others will too) simply because they will let you lug the motor pretty hard. GYTR, MSR, and DR. D makes some as well as steahly I believe. Any size 9oz. or bigger will do wonders. In the way of a bigger tank I would strongly recommend Clarke because I have ran an oversize on my 426 for desert for years as well as their stock replacement and have never had a problem. From what Ive read IMS is a great tank too. There are tons of oversize tank pics in the forum to see what you like. Hope this helps

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2009 - 05:02 PM

This is because your pilot circuit is too rich. You probably went for the complete elimination of all decel backfire, and/or tried to use the pilot jet to eliminate a stumble that could have been avoided by retraining your right hand. Either way, follow this guide, and you should end up with a leaner setup that won't stall on idling down so often.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• gruberyz

Posted July 18, 2009 - 05:05 PM

When I put a rekluse in my Crf450r it developed a habit of coughing and dying at light throttle blips. Ended up getting valves set to speck and carb redone with new pilot and needle cured the problem. Then after I decided it was too much bike for me I got a nice 250 two stroke.

• roylo

Posted July 19, 2009 - 05:55 AM

How to make my 07 YZ450f more like a WR for off road racing

Why dont you sell the YZ and get a WR instead of wasting money trying to 'make' a WR? If its what you want thats what I would be doing.

• domscorda732

Posted July 19, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Why dont you sell the YZ and get a WR instead of wasting money trying to 'make' a WR? If its what you want thats what I would be doing.

the reason I don't just get a WR, is because I don't see any guys racing harescrambles and off road with them. They're heavy and soft compared to what I have. I just want something in the middle... I think...

Maybe I should broaden the question to ask what most guys think the best off road setup is? Which bike? Which mods?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted July 19, 2009 - 08:13 AM

the reason I don't just get a WR, is because I don't see any guys racing harescrambles and off road with them. They're heavy and soft compared to what I have. I just want something in the middle... I think...

Maybe I should broaden the question to ask what most guys think the best off road setup is? Which bike? Which mods?

Ok, now where getting somewhere. For what you describe, the wr would probably be your best bet. Do the usual free mods, put an aftermarket exhaust on it, and have the suspension properly tuned for your weight and riding style. Then you'll have a killer off road bike. If you still feel like the power is "Soft", slap a pair of 06 yz cams on it, and hang on!

• gruberyz

Posted July 20, 2009 - 05:28 PM

Leave the muffler alone, make sure jetting is spot on. Unless you ride some kind of wide open two track a stock YZ450F is more than powerul enough. In my experince off road racing you never see top of third gear unless it's on some open section tying two sections together. The soft feeling of the YZ is a benifit not a deficit.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2009 - 07:25 PM

First, it sort of depends on what "off-road" racing is like in his neighborhood. In mine, it's desert racing, and there are a number of times when one finds himself a gear too high facing a "terrain change", and needs the grunt the '07 lacks. The muffler is less at issue in the '07 than in the later models, though, and while I heartily recommend the DRD system with a sparky, the DRD add-on end cap (or the PMB) will work OK. Substitute an '06 exhaust cam to pick up the low end a bit. The GYT-R flywheel will help build power sooner in the very low range, too.

As far as never being out of third, that isn't my experience, either, and I run off the top of 5th fairly often with 13/48 gearing.

The suspension harshness can be cleared up by a good revalve.

• KAS

Posted July 20, 2009 - 08:36 PM

First & foremost, a flywheel weight. I've got the Steahly 9oz on mine and it made a big difference. Less stalling and smooths out the abrubt low end snap.

Get your suspension dialed next.

Bigger tank if you need it.

Top it off with the normal off-road armor (handguards, skid plate, etc.).

An 18" wheel would be nice but I've never bothered with it.

Even though they seem to be a heavy pig on paper, I'm thinking of doing the opposite--getting a WR and working on it a little. Biggest reason, e-start.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 21, 2009 - 07:07 AM

Leave the muffler alone, make sure jetting is spot on. Unless you ride some kind of wide open two track a stock YZ450F is more than powerul enough.

He will probably want to install a spark arrested muffler.

The advice you have received so far is spot on. Consider some gearing changes as well, and don't forget about protection items- handguards, rad cages, skid plate are all good ideas to have.

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 21, 2009 - 08:08 AM

All things mentioned, flywheel weight really helps in the woods. What made a big difference for me, a 180lb senior A east coast rider was I replaced the 46kg fork springs with 44kg. Stock valveing and clicker settings. I am going to try one 46kg spring in one leg to get a 45kg overall but its pretty good as is.

• Wiz636

Posted July 21, 2009 - 09:28 AM

I race my '08 in HS, GP, and some enduros here in western WA where it usually very tight terrain. I have a Rekluse Pro, GYTR flywheel weight, and a full Dr D exhaust with spark arrestor and quiet insert. I also laced up an 18" rear wheel but that is not necessary. Scotts damper with submount kit, handguards, radiator guards, and skidplate. I revalved the forks to make them more suitable for offroading and had Smart Performance work the shock but honestly they were pretty good in stock form...I just ran the comp and rebound pretty soft. (I'm 205 lbs without gear)

I prefer the YZ for the lighter weight, the close ratio tranny, and the power.

Get your jetting dialed in to help with the flame outs and get your suspension set up for your weight and ability and you will be good to go.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.