What about aluminum sprockets on four strokes?

28 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 18, 2002 - 01:06 PM

I recently purchased a Renthal rear sprocket because I figured they are at least half the weight. I noticed after one race (300mi) that the thing was already toast. The teeth look like little shark fins instead of a triangle shape. Im really good at setting my chain tension to the proper spec so I don't think it was my fault. The package said "YZF & WR" models. What's the dealio with that?? Any thoughts?

I know that you could buy a really nice steel replacement from either BajaDesigns or Krause but my stock steel sproket has thousands of miles on it without any signs of wear whatsoever so why pay mucho dinero for a steel aftermarket one?

• Bill

Posted September 18, 2002 - 01:11 PM

Dan,

I have bought the Sprocket Specialties "Titan" (half the cost of the Sidewinder). It's supposed to have a hard coating on it, to preserve life. I tried the Renthal also and it was wussy. I was also told that if it's a stamped sprocket like a Renthal or the stocker. It would be soft either way (soft enough to be able to stamp it out).

Bill

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted September 18, 2002 - 01:28 PM

Hi Dan.

You were lucky to get 300 miles out of the Renthal. I believe the best solution is a chromoly steel rear sprocket. Lighter than the stocker and just as tough. They are not very common, however. Try AFAM here in HB. I know they make them and will make one for you if they are not in stock. Be sure to specify chromoly when ordering.

http://www.afamusa.c...ocket-apps.html

• vtfootball79

Posted September 18, 2002 - 02:56 PM

i have looked at the sidewinder sprockets recently. if you need all of the stuff, both sprockets and a chain you can get their package deal for 150. that's the Titanium chromoly sprokets and an O ring chain. they will also help you figure out what number of teeth on each sprocket will work out best with your bike and riding style, over the phone by talking to a person. i haven't ordered mine yet but i plan to over the winter. PS these are just as light as the aluminum racing sprokets that cost a pretty penny too.

• Hick

Posted September 18, 2002 - 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Dan Lorenze:
I recently purchased a Renthal rear sprocket because I figured they are at least half the weight. I noticed after one race (300mi) that the thing was already toast.

What kind of chain were you using? I'll assume it was new, and an o-ring. The stock WR chain is not bad at all BTW, but I'm sure that can be improved upon as well. Obviously nothing will wear out a sprocket faster than a strectched chain, and of course nothing will ruin a chain quicker than a hooked sprocket.

But I use the Renthals because:

a) I don't have to ever race 300 miles. :)
:D For me they wear the same rate as a steel front sprocket, as well as a Regina o-ring. I don't have an odo but I'm certain I get way, way more than a paltry 300 miles. I'd say at least 1,000, then I replace everything as a set.

But to be honest if I were in your shoes I'd probably have a "stock is best" type of mindset in most cases. I mean, don't you worry more about just finishing when you line up to go 300 miles? As for the weight, If you run a desert tire like the Dunlop AT w/ heavy tube and slime you are talking several extra pounds there.

I know, you could run the stock steel, and then just visualize a shiny and light Renthal. At about mile 250 you should be convinced. :D

But I did see a new product recently in one of the many moto-rags I read, it was an Al sprocket "body" with a steel ring of teeth bolted to the Al part. A "best of both worlds" idea, unfortunately I can't find that article right now.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 18, 2002 - 04:26 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Hick:
[QUOTE]What kind of chain were you using? I'll assume it was new, and an o-ring. The stock WR chain is not bad at all BTW, but I'm sure that can be improved upon as well.

But I did see a new product recently in one of the many moto-rags I read, it was an Al sprocket "body" with a steel ring of teeth bolted to the Al part. A "best of both worlds" idea, unfortunately I can't find that article right now.
[/quote]Hick, I agree!! I ran a stock chain forever!! They're great stock chains...I just recently upgraded because I felt it was time. The chain I used with the Renthal was a brand spankin new DID X-ring/gold, the best I could get. Still the sprocket wore out. I love the idea of the Al body with the steel ring. That sounds cool!!!!!!!!!

• SMD

Posted September 18, 2002 - 04:59 PM

Ditto....I have had no issues with Renthal sprockets.......heavy mileage too. I have always used the Regina chain in conjunction.
Good stuff and works for me.

• Blue_Boner

Posted September 18, 2002 - 06:20 PM

I also have a Renthal sproket on my bike with at least 1,500 miles on it and it looks great. Been through all types of riding conditions (except wet because it doesn't rain is So Cal) from mountain, dune and desert. Eric

• crazyadam

Posted September 19, 2002 - 03:28 AM

Renthals are great if you ride your big blue like its a XR 250 :) or a klx110 :D
but if your on the power hard its only good for about 2 hours--- if your lucky!
I'm going to try

www.Ironmansprockets.com

after my Sunstar wears out..
I always use x-ring chains, and found renthal to be a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY! ruin a good chain because the sprockets are like plastic!

• Bill

Posted September 19, 2002 - 04:11 AM

The aluminum center, steel ring sprocket is made by Sprocket Specialties. When I ordered my Titan (Made by Sprock Spec) I was really rying to order the one, you guys are talking about.

The parts guy called SS and they only had 46T and lower spockets. I thought the only guys that could use those, would be the desert guys like Dan.....Seriously......man, de javu :)

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted September 19, 2002 - 04:34 AM

I'm running a 53/13 Renthal combination a DID 520ER Chain and have Never had a problem. I also run a Renthal 50/14 Tooth combination on my YZ.

I wore out the stock sprokets fast but my Renthals are wearing much better. I suspect that you may have had one from a defective manufacturing run. I ride hard as well and at times have run my chain too tight as well....

Bonzai :)

• Ga426owner

Posted September 19, 2002 - 07:40 AM

I have a Renthal on my YZF. I will never buy Renthal again for my 4strokes...way too soft. I have used Sidewinder with good success....if you can deal with them. I am interested in a AFAM...if anyone has used before please post.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted September 19, 2002 - 07:46 AM

I have a sunstar aluminum rear and Yamaha steel front w/ a rk 520 o-ring chain. I have nearly 2 years on this settup. the rear sprocket is just starting to show signs of wear.

• lewichris

Posted September 19, 2002 - 08:50 AM

ah the cheap master gives you words of wisdom once again.

Buy 15 dollar steel sprockets from rocky mountian ATV. Then buy 13 dollar roller chain from local shop or Rocky mountian ATV. It will cost you about 30 bucks for two sprockets and a chain. I have had better luck with the heavy duty cheap chains. Guess what, they last a long time. Sure you may need to change them every year but hell if your chain goes bad and your sprockets are still good buy another cheap chain. I have never had a cheap chain break on me.

• Hick

Posted September 19, 2002 - 10:25 AM

Originally posted by crazyadam:
but if your on the power hard its only good for about 2 hours--- if your lucky!

I must be the luckiest SOB around. Let's go to Vegas!

A steel rear sprocket, since it has over 3 times the teeth and surface area, will obviously last much longer than a counter shaft sprocket. So what do you do, replace the rear before it is needed? Or do you put a new chain and new counter with a used steel rear?

Whatever, the point is it is pointless to talk about any of these three components in isolation. How any of the three wear is obviously dependent on the other two.

If you only get 2 hours out of a Renthal sprocket I can say with 100% confidence that something is wrong with your chain.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted September 19, 2002 - 11:12 AM

I have installed a new X-ring chain at the same time as the Renthal sprocket, although the c/s sprocket was the stocker. Two rides later (about 200 miles) the Renthal was toast. Yep, the chain was adjusted properly, but the sprocket was starting to shark fin big time. I wonder if it was a bad one that missed the heat treatment process or something. :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 19, 2002 - 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Ron in SoCal:
I have installed a new X-ring chain at the same time as the Renthal sprocket, although the c/s sprocket was the stocker. Two rides later (about 200 miles) the Renthal was toast. Yep, the chain was adjusted properly, but the sprocket was starting to shark fin big time. I wonder if it was a bad one that missed the heat treatment process or something. :)

Ronny, You are right sir!!! It must be a SoCal thing... Ditto on everything you said.....

• Hick

Posted September 19, 2002 - 01:26 PM

That just blows my mind.

Oh well. I guess if I was you guys I wouldn't be buying anymore Renthals.

But that is basically all I've used for the past, I dunno, four years?

A good o-ring, new front, new rear Renthal and I'm good for like 100 hours. Lube every ride, set chain tension properly, yada, yada, yada.

I've tried a few Sunstars, and even a few steel sprockets, and they all seem to wear about the same, hence my theory that what happens is the chain stretches, THEN all bets are off and your sprocket is soon toast.

Well, regardless of what sprocket you buy I'll stick by my assertion that putting a used chain on a new sprocket is wasting your money. Beyond that for God's sake don't buy an Al sprocket if they are hooking before:

a) the chain stretches
:) the front gets hooked

• RCannon

Posted September 19, 2002 - 01:54 PM

I have no proof of this, but I think certain chain lubes gall the heck out of aluminum sprokets. Mix in a bit of dirt and sand and your asking for trouble.

• tbronc

Posted September 20, 2002 - 04:51 AM

Why lube an O-ring chain?? you're just asking for trouble.

BTW, the stresses on an evenly worn chain & sprocket are much greater on the front than the rear. Once things stretch out and wear, and you put a new chain on the relation is closer to 1:1 (front : rear) because the links around the sprocket can't share the load (until the new chain stretches too!).

-You could say that insted of maybe 8 or 9 teeth pulling the chain, a new chain on old sprocket may only have 3 or 4 pulling, and that's with some stretching (causing wear). Those 3-4 teeth have to pull just as hard as the 8 or 9 do put together.

even though the front may look ok, if it has worn in with a different chain, it will soon stretch the new one also.

The rear sprocket gets "broken in" at the same time the chain does. And will soon be garbage (esp. with soft material).

Just change 'em together, the front is bad waaaay before it ever gets hooked. Unless you can keep the whole set together (old front, old rear, and old chain.

I haven't had trouble with any Al sprocket, they last me through at least 2 rear tires, and I change them as a set.

I 'll add that I don't see much sand, and there's been little rain to make mud in the 3yrs. I've had the bike.

YMMV.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.