What does it feel like when you blow your engine while riding?

24 replies to this topic
  • byebi

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

I've been wondering, what happens when your engine blows when your riding? What does it feel like? Hopefully this will never happen (knock on wood) but just trying to get prepared if it ever does. 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Oh ya, will the rear tire lock up and just skid to a stop?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid145

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

The engine will stop running. :worthy:

• byebi

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

The engine will stop running. :worthy:

Is that all? Does it really die that peaceful? lol

• kid145

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

Well, when mine did, it just kind of bogged out then died and wouldn't start back up. It could be quite violent though.

• Bumperlt

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

"blown engine" is a relative term. There is a lot of things that fall under the blown engine category. If it overheats it can sieze the engine, same with lack of oil. It wont do much but stop running.

You can throw a rod or have a crank break, in which case this could happen:

• RedRider38

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

Most times you will get really good power for the last 10 mins or so. Its hard to tell its coming though at least in my experience.

• byebi

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

"blown engine" is a relative term. There is a lot of things that fall under the blown engine category. If it overheats it can sieze the engine, same with lack of oil. It wont do much but stop running.

You can throw a rod or have a crank break, in which case this could happen:

Holy crap!

• rmxtgh

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

Holy crap!

while you're riding shut it off....get off it.....than start pushing........for as long as it takes to get it back to the truck......thats what a blown engine feels like.....

• Bumperlt

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

while you're riding shut it off....get off it.....than start pushing........for as long as it takes to get it back to the truck......thats what a blown engine feels like.....

:worthy: :banana: :banana:

• DGXR

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

After I blew an engine, the engine got a big smile on it's face and I felt like I had been used and taken for granted. it really "sucks" :worthy:

But seriously there are many different engine failure types that fall under the category of "blown engine": dropped valve, burned piston (hole), bent/broken rod, broken crank/flywheel, etc.

• Caddy 16v

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

I was riding behind a friend on the street once, and we did around 55 when his engine locked up and his back wheel locked up as well, i almost ran into him and the skidmark was pretty impressive to say the least!!!

• 125shifter

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

IMO "blows up" is defined as moving parts sticking in place. Jack something up between the crank and head and stuf stops real quick. Pistons kissing valves can sometimes be overcome w/ just new valves - I've done it. Conn rod/crank divorces aren't fun and don't come w/ quick fixes!

Trust me, you'll know when you've stuck something! :banana:

While it sucks, it also presents a great learning opp when you go to fix. :worthy:

• r1rider871

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Its like getting your dick stepped on in the dirt :worthy: and then a long push back to the truck.:banana:

You either get lucky and it just cuts loose and you coast to a stop or unlucky it locks up and you learn to fly!

• KJ790

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

It depends on what breaks in the engine. Sometimes it is just like running out of gas, the engine will start to bog down, lose power, and sputter for a couple seconds before stalling. Sometimes there will be a loud noise and the wheel will lock up solid with no warning. No matter how it blows, you always get the same sinking feeling in your stomach and knot in your throat.

• KaptainKoolz

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

i was drag racing my buddy on his cr125 up a hill...he is always in the dust..so i didnt realize he stopped until about a mile down the road...i came back and the motor had 0 compresion...so he rode my bike back home and we towed his bike back behind a car...:worthy: :banana:

• Oic0

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

When I broke a piston it felt like the transmission had locked up. Slid to a stop.

• Willix

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

When I blew up my 85, I was screaming down a straightaway and it began losing power and bogging way down until it finally stalled out.

• davethegoat

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Most times you will get really good power for the last 10 mins or so. Its hard to tell its coming though at least in my experience.

Good Call. That's exactly what happened to my 87 CR250. I was running the best it ever had and then snap. :worthy:

• Zappa

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

My 125 ate a circlip when it was screaming at about 11k-12k rpm. About 1.5 hours of riding after a fresh top end.

It's pretty much riding along, the bike starts loosing power, you pull in the clutch and the bike dies instantly. The sound kind of reminded me of when I am lazy and accelerating while way out of the power band. Just a really whining sound, except instead of building up, it's building down.

Really depressing sound.

• sam351

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

You either get lucky and it just cuts loose and you coast to a stop or unlucky it locks up and you learn to fly!

A couple years ago when I was on a KX85 it blew up. It just bogged and cut off peacefully.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Mississippi to Pennsylvania on my CRF250l, how should I prepare? by southerngentleman

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Excessive engine braking? by Scralatchtica824

• Hot  31 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XL125 Big Bore Kit by Roosterg8

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

What did you do to your crf250l today? by shiftline

• Hot  26 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.