my lemon 2008 yz 450f

10 replies to this topic
  • CharlesFP

Posted July 17, 2009 - 01:21 PM

Bought the bike new for 5600 from OTD motorsports

First ride: Blown fork seal

result: fixed under warranty

Second ride: Welds holding chain guide to swingarm failed, sending chain into case-saver, breaking one case saver mounting post, destroying chain in the process.

result: Yamaha "Good willed" me a new swingarm, but I still had to buy a new chain and case saver, and had to fix the case saver mount myself with JB weld, because Yamaha wouldn't help. The bike was not under warranty at this point, so I guess I can't complain.

Third ride: Had a blast, went to change oil afterward, oil came out same color as off-white paint.

result: unknown. Hopefully Yamaha will help, but bike is way beyond warranty. There's a blown gasket or seal somewhere in my motor.

Right now I am kicking myself for not buying the extended warranty. I'm afraid to ride this bike anywhere now. Thankfully I have a 2005 yz250 2 stroke that works every time.

• Wiz636

Posted July 17, 2009 - 01:44 PM

That's weird...how many hours are on the bike? The YZF's are the most reliable MX bikes made.

• YZ450FIL

Posted July 17, 2009 - 01:47 PM

Doesn't mean a bad one doesn't come out every once in a while. Stuff happens.

That sucks either way, hopefully just a gasket leaking.

• Joe_Jet

Posted July 17, 2009 - 01:51 PM

OTD stores there bikes outside in the salty ocean air and they corrode and are subject to UV from the sun every day. Only way to buy a bike from them is if you see it come out of the crate yourself or buy a bike that was just released. If yours is an 08' it probably has been sitting outside in the slaty air and sun for 2 YEARS!!!

If you see signs of corrosion, white spots on aluminum, etc. you should get them to fix this stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 02:56 PM

B
Third ride: Had a blast, went to change oil afterward, oil came out same color as off-white paint.

There's a blown gasket or seal somewhere in my motor.

Do you like to ride through deep water?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickeenoo

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:01 PM

OTD stores there bikes outside in the salty ocean air and they corrode and are subject to UV from the sun every day. Only way to buy a bike from them is if you see it come out of the crate yourself or buy a bike that was just released. If yours is an 08' it probably has been sitting outside in the slaty air and sun for 2 YEARS!!!

If you see signs of corrosion, white spots on aluminum, etc. you should get them to fix this stuff.

Unless they are storing them on the beach, I doubt the "salty ocean air" is doing much damage. Also, leaving a crated bike outside in Southern California doesn't do any more damage than parking and assembled bike out front of the shop. Also, I highly doubt a high volume dealership like OTD would have ANY bike sitting around for two months let alone two years.

It sounds like the OP just got a lemon which is too bad.

• joethunder

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:54 PM

When I bought my 08 the dealer did not even mention an extended warranty. What does it cover, and how much was it. Just curious.

• MX4Life

Posted July 17, 2009 - 06:17 PM

Yamaha does not offer an extended warranty on the YZ. Some dealer will sell an "aftermarket" warranty. How long did you ride it before that 1st oil change? I changed mine after the 1st ride.

• Troutman

Posted July 17, 2009 - 07:47 PM

Do you like to ride through deep water?

Yeah, milky oil often means that you got a little water in the oil. Does not take much to make it look like a latte. It can get in there a number of ways like through the vent tube or getting water into the air box and then running the bike. Change the oil and filter run a little while and check it again. My buddies 250f had the same issue and an oil and filter change did the trick, it also may take 2 changes to totally clear up.

• CharlesFP

Posted July 20, 2009 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, milky oil often means that you got a little water in the oil. Does not take much to make it look like a latte. It can get in there a number of ways like through the vent tube or getting water into the air box and then running the bike. Change the oil and filter run a little while and check it again. My buddies 250f had the same issue and an oil and filter change did the trick, it also may take 2 changes to totally clear up.

Thanks for the insight guys. I did one deep water crossing. It wasn't deep enough to hit the airbox, but it definitely could have sucked water into the breather tube.

• erickdj

Posted July 20, 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the insight guys. I did one deep water crossing. It wasn't deep enough to hit the airbox, but it definitely could have sucked water into the breather tube.

did you stall/start the bike while crossing the water? That's one way it could have sucked water through the vent hose. Sucks you're having issues with the bike, kind of unlikely that a gasket would go bad this soon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.