'99 Linkage and Swingarm Bearing Replacement

7 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted March 25, 2003 - 11:31 AM

Frustration beyond words...

Has anyone done this yet and was it a big pain in the butt? I can't believe the lame setup that Yamaha used on the linkage and swingarm bearings.

Now I admit that I do not grease up the bearings more than once a year, usually before the season. So it came as no suprise to me that I had a couple bearings that were rusted. What did come as a suprise was that they don't want to come out.

First it took longer than it should have to remove the seals. Then those stupid pins kept falling out. So there is really nothing to keep the edges of the bearing case from collapsing on itself instead of just sliding out. I am using a 22mm socket and a hammer to drive them out but some are not budging. Only one has come out of the arm relay. The others are stuck in the arm relay and connecting rod.

At first it was only going to cost me $150 for new swing arm and linkage bearings. But now it is looking more like $350 for a new arm relay and connecting rod. Possibly up to $1000 if I need a new swing arm too.

Anyone have suggestions on what you did or what I can try.

Thanks, Doug

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 25, 2003 - 11:46 AM

Welcome back to ThumperTalk! I have been wondering what happened to you. How has life been treating you? How is the Wife and baby (now a toddler!)?

The easiest thing is to use a bearing press. I too have been forced to work w/ seized bearings. You can try heating the area around the bearing w/ a torch to get it to expand.
I used an approach my buddy did a long time ago on his '66 Mustang working w/ brake calipers. He heated the area around the piston. When he had sufficiently heated it up, he put ice on the piston. The rapid temperature change, along w/ whatever arm grease, did the job.

You might try a bench vise if it is heavy enough. Make sure you use the right size sockets to push out the bearings. Be sure and support your shock links so as not to twist them.

A machine shop or an automotive shop should(?) have a bearing press. I really hate paying anyone to work on my bike, but if you don't have what you need, and someone else does...

I hope you get them out Dougie!!

• Dougie

Posted March 25, 2003 - 12:53 PM

Ah Kevin, I was hoping you would be around. I knew you would have some good advice. I knew there was something out there for this job. After watching Monster Garage for a month, I have learned there is a tool or machine for anything :)

I'm going to start with my neighbors. Two that drive those big utility trucks with lots of tools. If they can't help, it is off to machine shop.

Yep, it has been a while since I've lurked on TTalk. But bike season is approaching and I have started getting it ready for Moab. But I must say, the toddler is a big time consumer (in a great way). She is doing great and getting bigger everyday. Thanks for asking Kevin. Doug

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 26, 2003 - 12:30 AM

Last night here at work I installed a Pivot Works bearing kit for my buddy's 2K YZF426.

The bike has been neglected, and I really needed the hydraulic bearing press. One of the bearings took 3000# pressure to get it out!! :)

There is NO WAY that thing would have come out without the hydraulic press.

Hope you are in better postion than I was!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • utvols

Posted March 26, 2003 - 06:17 AM

Just find a press you can borrow. It is time consuming but relatively easy to get out the stuck bearings this way. If it makes you feel any better Yamaha made the swingarm and linkage easier to take apart on the new 450's but we still have the same crappy bearing and seal set-up. You can only chalk it up to a lesson learned and start doing your linkage about every three months if you dont want to go thru this again.

Good luck.

• wrooster

Posted March 26, 2003 - 06:23 AM

here's the linkage process: linkage greasing thread

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Bill

Posted March 26, 2003 - 04:32 PM

I just finished this on my 99. I used a socket and DEAD BLOW hammer. If you don't have one (dead blow hammer), invest in one. And for the seals, I used a bench vise as a press, for the seals.

Good to see some TT "old timers" :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 26, 2003 - 04:36 PM

I just installed a pivot works linkage kit and shock kit in my 99 yz400 last saturday. The bearings came out fairly well. What I did is find a socket just a little smaller than the bearing and a socket with a id larger than the bearing. I then used the small socket and a large bench vise to push the bearing out until it was flush with the edge of the housing. Then use the large socket along with the small socket to press the bearing out into the large socket. The large socket is just a spacer to allow the bearing somewere to go. I really had to hang on the vise handle on one of them. I think I even beat the vise handle tight with a hammer. But it eventually moved.

If you rebuild the shock pivots remember that there is a clip in there that holds the bearing in. The bearing only can be pressed out of the side with the clip.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.