Maybe buying a 03 yz450f what to look for?

5 replies to this topic
  • YZ400dave

Posted July 17, 2009 - 10:07 AM

I bought a 99yz400 a few months ago for my first dirt bike and i love it. I then got my wife into riding a friends 125 and then eventually riding my 400f and she loves it. Now instead of finding her a smaller bike I get a new one and she wants the 400. So i found a 03 yz450 on craigslist for 2grand and I'm going out to lay eyes on it today. It seems like a good deal from the pics and talking to the guy but what should I look at when i get there specifically to see if its worth more/less than 2k? I've gotten way more knowledgeable about dirtbikes since i bought the 400 (thanks to this forum) but am by no means an expert. I figured TT'rs might have some good input.
Thanks. Dave

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 10:18 AM

bring 1500.00 in one pocket and maybe leave another 100.00 in your truck.

check out the bike, if it starts up and looks clean fan out the 1500.00 see if they bite.

if they don't, walk away and follow up on Monday.

as for things to look for. check out what has to be replaced right away. Chain, sprockets, plastics, levers, grips, tires, filters, cables, throttle tube.

not much you can do about internals but start it up and ride it around shifting through all the gears.

look for major damage to the frame, sub frame, header, fork tubes. all signs or a major spill.

other then that, cash is king and work a good deal!

• YZ400dave

Posted July 17, 2009 - 10:55 AM

bring 1500.00 in one pocket and maybe leave another 100.00 in your truck.

check out the bike, if it starts up and looks clean fan out the 1500.00 see if they bite.

if they don't, walk away and follow up on Monday.

as for things to look for. check out what has to be replaced right away. Chain, sprockets, plastics, levers, grips, tires, filters, cables, throttle tube.

not much you can do about internals but start it up and ride it around shifting through all the gears.

look for major damage to the frame, sub frame, header, fork tubes. all signs or a major spill.

other then that, cash is king and work a good deal!

so dont even bring the whole 2000?? i didnt even think about that. i was going to try and offer 1500 and see how he reacts.. i guess i really want the bike even though i havent seen/ridden and I need to calm down. Its been on CL for 5 days and he still has it so maybe its not the best deal ever

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtaylor

Posted July 17, 2009 - 01:26 PM

Check out what clutchless mentioned and:
Steering Head Bearings- With the bike sitting on a center stand, make sure the bars turn side to side smoothly without a "notchy feel" and there is no slop in the steering head bearings.
Swing Arm Bearing/Bushing Slop- With bike sitting on stand, check freeplay of swingarm. Most used bikes will have a little bit, just noticable, not sloppy.
Oil-After you warm it up and ride it, check the oil. Dipstick and oil should be close to clear without any residue.
Wheel Bearings- The fronts like to go out on these bikes because they are not a sealed bearing, but not real expensive to replace. Just keep an eye on them if you buy it.
If the controls all feel good and the bike is in good shape, give the guy the
$2K, It's worth more.

• yam314

Posted July 17, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Also keep in mind that the 03 is a 4 speed. The 03's were also known to be very hard hitting bikes as well.Yamaha toned them down a bit in 04

• SC_Spode

Posted July 17, 2009 - 03:18 PM

Try to get a look under the chain slider on the top of the swingarm and check for wear. They're very prone to wearing into the aluminum and I've seen them get deep enough to make me uncomfortable.

:worthy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.