2008 YZ450f Steering Help

28 replies to this topic
  • emxdad

Posted July 17, 2009 - 08:01 AM

I have a 2008 YZ450F and the cornering is not the best. It seems like I’m constantly fitting with the bike when cornering. I was wonder what others have done to improve their 08’s to steer better. Right now the bike steering is stock.

I have seen Dubach Radiator lowering kit, but you need to replace the header for clearance. I can see maybe replacing just the header, but not the entire exhaust. Can you just replace the header which provides a lower bend, like for example an FMF Header-Bomb and have it work with the stock muffler and the Dubach kit?

I have also read that you can change the top triple clamp, but not sure which one would be the best offset to choose from to improve cornering.

Thanks,

Emxdad….

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 17, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Change the front tire, make sure the triple clamp is lowered to the first mark and set the sag at 95-100mm. Thats a good start.

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 08:35 AM

There is no easy fix for this problem.

Yamahas are not known for their nimble turning abilities.

good front tire (12 PSI), plus dropping your fork tubes in the clamps 10 MM, bar position, race sag, proper suspension settings are needed front and back.

even then the front end will plow into turns.

what i have found is you have to allow the bike to slide into the turn a bit and gas it hard to come out of the turn. don't let the bike ride you.

speed is key. turn with your back end as much as possible. also look further down the track with your head. the bike will make the turn. faster you go the easier it is.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:11 AM

In addition to the rest of the advice so far given, move the bars up and forward, and move yourself as far forward as you can get.

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:46 AM

In addition to the rest of the advice so far given, move the bars up and forward, and move yourself as far forward as you can get.

depends on your riding style. i dropped my bars back. i found that getting up on the tank too much caused the front end to wash out more.

check out J Law's set up. Bars back. back on the seat. sliding the back end around.

http://motocross.tra...ce-450-testing/

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 11:07 AM

check out J Law's set up. Bars back. back on the seat. sliding the back end around.

Jlaw is a teenage stoner.

Check out Dr.D's style. (just the opposite) He's crashed fewer cars, but won more championships. It is true that if you can get the rear out going into the turn and stay on the gas some, the front will push less.

Posted Image

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Check out Dr.D's style. (just the opposite) He's crashed fewer cars, but won more championships. It is true that if you can get the rear out going into the turn and stay on the gas some, the front will push less.

Posted Image

the Dr was too!

:worthy:

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 17, 2009 - 11:37 AM

depends on your riding style. i dropped my bars back. i found that getting up on the tank too much caused the front end to wash out more.

http://motocross.tra...ce-450-testing/

There are different times through the vid that he does get way up forward for high speed turning...The times when he flips the back end around he's almost coming to a stop...Just coming in hot, shooting out hot, but it's not really a high speed turn...

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 11:47 AM

There are different times through the vid that he does get way up forward for high speed turning...The times when he flips the back end around he's almost coming to a stop...Just coming in hot, shooting out hot, but it's not really a high speed turn...

hmmm.... interesting. here are a few videos of top riders turning on the YZ.

i think everyone should take a moment to watch them and discuss.

http://motocross.tra...son-lawrence-2/

http://motocross.tra...-stewart-video/

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 17, 2009 - 12:13 PM

I think the vids just solidify my point...If you watch them in high speed turns (as opposed to high banked, hard braking, fast accelerating turns) you'll see their weight shift forward...

Studying James' style will get you nowhere in real life...The best riders in the world don't even bother trying to mimic some of the stuff he does...

In the real world of a middle aged 200lb rider, sliding forward and having body positioning similar to Dr.D's in the pic above will help...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 12:17 PM

I think the vids just solidify my point...If you watch them in high speed turns (as opposed to high banked, hard braking, fast accelerating turns) you'll see their weight shift forward...

Studying James' style will get you nowhere in real life...The best riders in the world don't even bother trying to mimic some of the stuff he does...

In the real world of a middle aged 200lb rider, sliding forward and having body positioning similar to Dr.D's in the pic above will help...

i like the feeling of the bars in my lap when i am slid forward. arms relaxed, pushing on my outside peg. leg kicked out, right at the low point in the seat.

then i get my weight back as much as i can out of the turn so i can maximize my traction.

i am also 5'10 but close to 200 with gear.

• emxdad

Posted July 20, 2009 - 11:18 AM

Ok I will make changes and see how the bike conners.

I can not express how awesome this site is and the great people who provide their knowledge to others. Thank you to all who contributed!!

Regards,

Emxdad…

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 20, 2009 - 01:34 PM

I know what to do I just don't do it!

In the current issue of dirt rider, or maybe it was dirt bike, there is a article on Ryan Hughes and his new rider technique. Un hinge the hips or something like that. Interesting, so elbows up are out.

Back in the day Dick Burleson ran his bars low and back. Won't see that these days. Moral, it's allways changing. Make it what works for you.

• MotoXT

Posted July 20, 2009 - 02:31 PM

There is no easy fix for this problem.

Yamahas are not known for their nimble turning abilities.

good front tire (12 PSI), plus dropping your fork tubes in the clamps 10 MM, bar position, race sag, proper suspension settings are needed front and back.

even then the front end will plow into turns.

what i have found is you have to allow the bike to slide into the turn a bit and gas it hard to come out of the turn. don't let the bike ride you.

speed is key. turn with your back end as much as possible. also look further down the track with your head. the bike will make the turn. faster you go the easier it is.

+1. Could not have said it better. I tried 23MM, 22MM and 17MM clamps - no improvement beyond doing everything Clutchless says above. Once you get comfortable drifting a bit into a corner then getting on the gas you will notice a huge improvement, and looking way ahead helps you do this.

• nicocross22

Posted August 16, 2009 - 04:12 AM

hi,
I tried lowering the radiators on my (yzf450 2009 with a drd exhaust) bike myself, but I had a problem. On the right side the radiator doesn't want to move down because of the radiator hose.
did anyone ever have this problem? what can i do?

• Wfomx463

Posted August 16, 2009 - 03:55 PM

You guys are missing the biggest part of that drd pic. his head is over the bars! it does mater where u sit but u HAVE to have ur head over bars looking forward. basic riding technique. sliding forks up does help with tight turns but like other people have already said, after awhile u will get used to it sliding. be glad u dont have a honda! LOL talk about pushing!

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2009 - 04:23 PM

You guys are missing the biggest part of that drd pic. his head is over the bars! it does mater where u sit but u HAVE to have ur head over bars looking forward.

Not all of us are missing that:

...but it is the point.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 16, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Posted Image

Thats how I ride my YZf maybe a little less stylish! LoL It is true though you gotta ride on that gas tank. . .:thumbsup:

• mywifefarts

Posted August 16, 2009 - 08:11 PM

On a positive note, berms and ruts work well.

• emxdad

Posted August 17, 2009 - 04:46 AM

Guys I moved the forks up 10mm and the cornering on this bike improved by %100 in my opinion. This was a cheap and easy fix for sure! Next change will be to replace the stock front tire.

Thanks again to everyone!!

Emxdad....

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.