2005 YZ450F Keeps cutting out on me. help please

11 replies to this topic
  • Fatire

Posted July 17, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Last summer my bike was running good and then I had a bad crash and had to have surgery. I notice now when my bike is running it likes to cut out on me easily. Was wondering if anybody has had this problem or could point me in the right direction. I took my carb off and clean it which did help the bike start easier, but it still likes to cut out on me a lot.

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 08:42 AM

did you ever drain the old gas out of the tank?

• Fatire

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:07 AM

The gas thats in there is about 4 months old.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:12 AM

The gas thats in there is about 4 months old.

Start with that.

• Fatire

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:41 AM

Ok I will, what would you suggest if I still keeps cutting out on me?

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:49 AM

Ok I will, what would you suggest if I still keeps cutting out on me?

by running that old gas you basically fouled the carb up again. sediments can settle to the bottom of the tank after sitting that long so flush the tank a couple times with clean gas before hooking it back up to the bike. Cali gas goes bad really fast from all the additives they put in it. especially when stored in a plastic gas tank that breaths.

where in the RPM range does it cut out. what are you doing when it cuts out?

Change gas, clean out all jets and etc in the carb (if you can figure out where in the RPM range it is cutting out you can narrow down what jet is not letting fuel past). check float bowl make sure it's not getting stuck.

then report back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fatire

Posted July 17, 2009 - 10:19 AM

by running that old gas you basically fouled the carb up again. sediments can settle to the bottom of the tank after sitting that long so flush the tank a couple times with clean gas before hooking it back up to the bike. Cali gas goes bad really fast from all the additives they put in it. especially when stored in a plastic gas tank that breaths.

where in the RPM range does it cut out. what are you doing when it cuts out?

Change gas, clean out all jets and etc in the carb (if you can figure out where in the RPM range it is cutting out you can narrow down what jet is not letting fuel past). check float bowl make sure it's not getting stuck.

then report back.

It varies. Sometime just after I start the bike and let it idle for a a couple minutes. yesterday I rode it up the street and when I slowed down to pull in my garage it cut out. I would say mostly at low idles and when I rev it. I will try what suggested and see if that helps. Thanks

• clutchless

Posted July 17, 2009 - 10:22 AM

is your fuel screw set to 2.5 turns out?

this is a low end idle problem so check your fuel screw first.

if it is, try turning it out to 3.5 turns and see if the problem is solved. if so you will have to adjust your pilot jet a size up and return your fuel screw to 2.5 turns.

if you turn it back in to 1.5 turns and it solves the problem you will have go down a size in your pilot jet.

if the fuel screw remains with then 1.6 - 3.4 turn range there is no need to adjust the jets.

it's also hotter out now then it was 4 months ago so this will affect your jetting a bit.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 11:11 AM

if the fuel screw remains with then 1.6 - 3.4 turn range there is no need to adjust the jets.

3.4 is too far out by a turn.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• jason white

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:01 PM

I recently got an 06 yz450 and it does the same. Anyways your saying this is causes by the pilot jet being to lean. makes sense

• Mikeb12

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:03 PM

i recently purchased a very clean, low hour 04 that sat for pretty much 2-3 years. it would do the same thing. pull the carb and clean the pilot jet out (or replace it). it sounds like your idle circuit is lean and this is a easy and likely place to start

• Fatire

Posted July 20, 2009 - 06:27 AM

Yeah that sounds about right. I'll figure I will start with cleaning carb, pilot jet, flush the old gas out and go from there and see what happens.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.