To buy or Not to buy

6 replies to this topic
  • woodchuck

Posted September 18, 2002 - 08:55 AM

I have a problem and need some biased advice. I have my sights on a new WR450, even though I don't know how I will pay for it yet (I can't take delivery until Jan-Feb 2003, so I have time to figure something out). However, one of my riding buddies just bought a 2002 KTM400 and wants to sell me his 2001 WR250F. I have known the bike since it was new, I like riding it (even though it doesn't have the bottom punch I like) and he will give me a good deal on it.

Do I compromise my desire for huge power and go for a cheaper less powerful, albeit sweet, bike?

Has anyone bought a WR426 and wished for the 250 instead?

• Dodger

Posted September 18, 2002 - 09:11 PM

I riden both bikes, they both absolutely rule once you dial them in. But, I wouldn't trade my 426 for a 250 any day. The weight savings just don't justify the missing cc's. With that said, there are going to be just as many 250F riders that wouldn't trade their 250F for ANYTHING, no matter how many more cc's!

You got yourself one tough decision, however, remember 4 things........

1 - Sounds like you can get a sweet deal on a sweet bike.

2 - Who knows, even now, if you'll actually be able to get your hands on one of the new WR450's when they DO finally arrive.

3 - Not sure what your on now, but if you don't have a bike, you're going to be waiting for awhile - BIKELESS!

4 - You can YZ time and jet the WR250F to have the more explosive power like that found in the YZ's.

Good thing is, either way I'm sure you'll be happey, especially if you get your hands on one of the new 450's.

Peace

Dodger :) :D

[ September 18, 2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Dodger ]

• RCannon

Posted September 18, 2002 - 12:24 PM

It amounts to what bike you really want. Personally, I would not miss three months of riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrandonW

Posted September 18, 2002 - 01:51 PM

Dodger hit all the right points.

Another thing to consider is your riding capabilites in the future. The 250 might be enough now (YZ timing will cure some of the low end that you desire) but will it satisfy you a year or two from now?

Another thing that I continually hear is "Go light and you will never miss the cc's"

Not my words, but I do hear it. A bike that you can comfortably throw around for a couple of hours is much better than wrestling with a bigger bike than you need.

Have fun in your decision-making process.

Brandon

• Hick

Posted September 18, 2002 - 04:14 PM

I've ridden a YZ 250F, for like two minutes, maybe. So I don't have much to go on. I'm not a big guy at all, 185 lbs, but out here in the desert, open spaces and sand require horsepower, so I would never get a 250F.

What matters most then is the type of riding you are going to do. If it is tight trails / woods (errr, your handle is Woodchuck??), leaning on what little woods riding experience I have, I can tell you that a WR 250F would be sweet. If I lived near tight trails like I've ridden in NM forests and Rampart in CO my dream bike might be a WR 250F, or maybe a KTM 200 EXC.

Bottom line is, on a bang for buck basis, as an aggressive trail bike, a used 250F is going to be hard to beat (unless your trails are like mine where noboby rides 125s or 250Fs or you are just a huge guy.)

• Jekel

Posted September 20, 2002 - 06:26 PM

I've ridden both the WR250 and 400. Unless you need the extra power or are heavy the 250 would be nice. I like my 400 but REALLY liked the light weight of the 250. You just need to look at what you will be riding in. Good luck on your decision, can't go wrong either way. :)

• huskyrider

Posted September 22, 2002 - 03:01 PM

How about the cheaper bike with huge power.
Make an offer to your local dealer on a 2002 WR426.
Most dealers would take any reasonable offer right now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.