2006 450 getting new jets... what size

9 replies to this topic
  • writebrian

Posted July 16, 2009 - 06:53 PM

Bike is stock except for White Bros header and pipe. I live in Phoenix which is HOT most of the year but I do more of my riding in the temperate months (Oct-May 75-85 degrees). Phoenix elevation is around 1100 feet. I get a little pop on decel now but nothing radical or worrisome.

What should I put in for main/pilot? What about needle, clip etc.

Doing it tomorrow.

• SC_Spode

Posted July 16, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Are you sure you have an airtight seal at the header/silencer junction? An air leak here can cause popping on decel.

:worthy:

• writebrian

Posted July 16, 2009 - 07:30 PM

The popping is not that bad but I know the 06' can improve with jetting changes. Curious what my pipe, elevation and temps would dictate.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Have you looked in the jetting sticky, and in the fuel system section of Common Threads?

• writebrian

Posted July 16, 2009 - 10:00 PM

I did Gray. Spent about 2 hours reading every 06' jetting thread I could find. But I also know that temp and elevation are issues. Didnt see anything that matched up to my locale and exhaust system and don't know how tight the tolerances are based on elevation and temps. Do you think your California below sea level specs would work for me in Phoenix at 1100 feet. Apparently nobody with a White Bros pipe has rejetted in Phoenix.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted July 17, 2009 - 03:53 AM

You might and try adjusting your fuel screw. I know when it gets real hot here on some days my will pop on decel.

I usually just turn my fuel screw about a quarter turn or half and it takes care of it. BTW mine is an 06 also and I just have DRD pipe on and I jetted mine with a size bigger pilot and raised the needle ( lowered the clip one notch).

• Wiz636

Posted July 17, 2009 - 08:57 AM

The '06 was jetted a bit lean on the pilot circuit from the factory, but with your temp and elevation it is probably just about perfect in stock form, which is somewhat confirmed with your mention that you only get a slight pop on decel which is fine.

I wouldn't change it other than to get an adjustable fuel screw to fine tune the pilot circuit.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 08:58 AM

I did Gray. Spent about 2 hours reading every 06' jetting thread I could find. But I also know that temp and elevation are issues. Didnt see anything that matched up to my locale and exhaust system and don't know how tight the tolerances are based on elevation and temps. Do you think your California below sea level specs would work for me in Phoenix at 1100 feet. Apparently nobody with a White Bros pipe has rejetted in Phoenix.

If you look at my post, you will see that I run the same jetting from -80 feet to 3500 feet without any issues. I run a 165/45 summer and a 168/45 winter, and never move the needle. "Summer" temp range is 75-100, and "winter" is 40-80.

Four strokes are not as fussy as you think, not at at all. You can adjust the recommendations of someone else roughly by 1% for each 1000 feet of altitude (richer for lower, and vice-versa), and 1% for each 11 degrees.

Read the Guide to jetting and How to Confirm your Pilot setting in Common Threads, also.

• mjw1

Posted July 17, 2009 - 02:36 PM

I would just go one up on the pilot jet and look to see what your plug looks like if it is on the white side than put a bigger main jet. When you check your plug for the main jet ride your bike down the street and kill the motor at high rpms and that will tell you if you are to rich or lean on top end. Use a new plug for best results.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 03:21 PM

I would just go one up on the pilot jet and look to see what your plug looks like if it is on the white side than put a bigger main jet. When you check your plug for the main jet ride your bike down the street and kill the motor at high rpms and that will tell you if you are to rich or lean on top end. Use a new plug for best results.

Using this method with unleaded fuel is how people end up with GIANT MAIN JETS and think they've done something, then they wonder why it's hard to start, eats plugs, and won't go over 15 miles on a tank.

You can't read plugs with unleaded fuel, not on a main jet, WOT chop, at least. The lead is where the color came from. A correctly jetted bike running UL will turn the plug bone white at full throttle.

To pick the jets, follow Eddie's guide, like I said, and ignore that kind of advice.

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.