Best way to flush an oil system?

10 replies to this topic
  • 84rm250

Posted July 16, 2009 - 05:04 PM

Valves broke on my 426 and took out a list of parts, pulled oil filter and it was full of shavings.

How do I make sure all of these shaving are out? I tryed flushing the crankcase out with diesel fuel. Will this be good or what else should I do? Thanks for any help

• desert-rat660

Posted July 16, 2009 - 06:11 PM

the best way would be dissasembling the engine, im sure the pickup screen has alot of metal stuck in it

• 84rm250

Posted July 16, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Any other way besides compleat tear down?

• nickeenoo

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:17 AM

Nope. Why would you want to risk it?

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Consider that flushing an oil system necessarily involves pumping whatever it is you want out of it through it several times in order to get rid of it. It depends on what the situation is, and what you're trying to accomplish, exactly as to whether it's advisable or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 84rm250

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:40 AM

I just dont want to wipe out any other parts after i put it back togethere. I dont really have the time or money or space to tear the whole motor down. I rinsed out the crank case with diesel with and with out the drain plug in many time, abput 3 gallons weather.

After I start it for the first time should I quickly shut it off and change the oil and filter again?

Should I rinse the tank in the frame out?

• Hughes

Posted July 17, 2009 - 12:53 PM

There is no other way. The enigne needs to to completely torn down for proper repair or it's just going to explode again.

• husqy360

Posted July 17, 2009 - 01:41 PM

i had same thing and 3 tanks after new top end the rear wheel locked ones again, but this time it was nedded top and bottom.

• devo1

Posted July 17, 2009 - 02:31 PM

It's really not a big deal to pull the motor and split the cases. It can be done in 4 to 6 hours.
When my bike stripped 3rd gear the metal pieces scored the oil pump.

• 84rm250

Posted July 17, 2009 - 07:58 PM

so how far apart do i need to take it? split the case's and clean/inspect everything? What kind of tools will i need? I have a repair manual that should help me thru it. any kind of help would be awsome.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted July 18, 2009 - 08:13 AM

This is on a 2 stroke but there isn't too much difference, same concept just a couple more parts in the 4 stroke but check out this vid and others on there. It will give you an idea about it. There are 3 parts to this tutorial

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.