Fitting a YZ Fender to a 2006 WR

3 replies to this topic
  • thedktor

Posted July 16, 2009 - 02:51 AM

It all fits and is ready to bolt up, but was wondering who has done this and is running a light/plate holder on it?

I ask because on some bikes the weight of the light can make the fender bend on hitting a big bump and the number-plate/light unit gets eaten by the tyre.

Not a pretty site.

The YZ fender seems quite strong but definitely not as rigid as the WR original.

Is it likely to bend, do I need to fit a reinforcing strut of some kind?

Thanks as always for your feedback…

-Steve

• jhmotard

Posted July 16, 2009 - 03:19 PM

03-05 yz fenders fit with some trimming(no big deal)

i did have the baja designs led brakelight and license plate holder...it basically hung below the tip of the fender.....after awhile it seemed to droop a little and would shake at lower rpms'.

so i fabbed up an r1 light to fit and stuck the plate up against the back of the airbox. works great!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto2000

Posted July 16, 2009 - 05:51 PM

No problems so far....

Posted Image

• thedktor

Posted August 06, 2009 - 10:43 PM

I fitted the YZ fender – it all went on easily but the YZ does not have a water bottle and associated pipes:

Posted Image

So some holes had to be cut in the new one

Posted Image

And some heatproof tape added where it goes over the top of the silencer:

Posted Image

Once fitted it was fairly rigid but not as firm as the original so I added a strut:

Posted Image

Not pretty but its completely hidden under the mudguard

And now I’m happy!

Old:

Posted Image

To New:

Posted Image

- Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.