450f down to a 250f question

23 replies to this topic
  • husqy360

Posted July 23, 2009 - 04:55 PM

If you ride dunes you'll be bummed on a 250...

this weekend i saw a kx250f with a light rider and a paddle do more then most of the 450s in the dune hill climbs, its the rider.

Yeah, but your talking about a skilled kid who weighed much less than the average man...If you're in sand and weigh around 190lbs or up, no matter how skilled you are, your friends on 450s will be leaving you in the dust all day long...And you'll be putting way more of a hurt on the bike...

but then again he was only like 150 and yes he was very skilled.

my 450 will do all climbs dosnt metter whos the rider.

• JJRace

Posted July 24, 2009 - 07:39 AM

All I can say is get the 450 and learn to ride it. You are tired cause you are holding the bike with your arms. USE YOUR LEGS and grip the bike with your knees. You will be amazed at your control and endurance on the bike once you ride it properly.

The 250fs are fun, but most tracks around here, you find yourself wanting more power to clear the jumps especially out of corners. Now if you were about 20-30 pounds lighter you would be fine with the 250f power, add a cam and pipe port the head. But the 450 is better out of the box for your weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motothumper11407

Posted July 24, 2009 - 08:01 AM

they both have their advantages/dis-advantages. the one thing i was thinking of while reading this thread was maintnance... On the 450, its not gonna take as much abuse as say a 250f. Since youll be riding the 250 way harder than the 450, its gonna wear faster, so youll probably being doing a top end faster. But its all up to you and what you want. I personally prefer the 450.

• Kawirider37

Posted July 24, 2009 - 10:25 PM

they both have their advantages/dis-advantages. the one thing i was thinking of while reading this thread was maintnance... On the 450, its not gonna take as much abuse as say a 250f. Since youll be riding the 250 way harder than the 450, its gonna wear faster, so youll probably being doing a top end faster. But its all up to you and what you want. I personally prefer the 450.

I think I'm just gonna keep the 450 and learn to ride it better. I do like having the power on tap. Thanks guys...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.