05' CRF250R Head torque specs

12 replies to this topic
  • Zerofounder

Posted July 15, 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have an 05' CRF250R and there is a oil leak in the head. I took it apart and tried to see where it was coming from and there is a seal busted around the bolt that is holding the head down. I need the torque specs for those bolts please.

• moto_x2005

Posted July 15, 2009 - 11:33 PM

I have an 05' CRF250R and there is a oil leak in the head. I took it apart and tried to see where it was coming from and there is a seal busted around the bolt that is holding the head down. I need the torque specs for those bolts please.

u mean the cylinder head nuts? they are 29 ft. lbs there is no seal between them and the head, just a washer..

cam cap bolts are 12 ft. lbs and the little 8mm cylinder bolts are 7ft lbs

• Zerofounder

Posted July 18, 2009 - 05:40 PM

About the oil leak in the head. I heard that the head would be busted and that theyre could be something seriously wrong such as gettin a new motor. I was wondering if it would be a small issue and something easy to fix or something that would be difficult and high dollar prices.

• moto_x2005

Posted July 18, 2009 - 08:43 PM

i still dont know what you mean by the oil leak in the head.. is it seeping out between the head and the cylinder? out the little hole on the right side of the head? out of one of the front acorn cylinder head nuts? if u have a pic that would be much easier..

• kaakau

Posted July 19, 2009 - 01:41 PM

:worthy: sure not talking about the valve cover seals

• CRF150F_06

Posted July 20, 2009 - 02:37 PM

You are talking about the 2 special seals with an up mark on them? They are around the bolts with that holds the cylinder head cover? If you are talking about these seals, then the torque specs is 7lb/ft or 84 lb/in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zerofounder

Posted July 25, 2009 - 08:48 PM

But what would lead to the problem with the oil leak in the head? What would it take to fix? Something simple or difficult?

• CRF150F_06

Posted July 26, 2009 - 05:40 PM

If the seal is busted, then just buy a new seal and install it back on the bolt.

• Zerofounder

Posted July 26, 2009 - 06:09 PM

But would the seal cause oil leak? I hope its somethin that simple...

• ebeck

Posted July 26, 2009 - 06:19 PM

The head is FULL of oil. That what makes it work. Not sure what you mean about a leak in the head, the whole head is one giant oil leak of squirting oil swimming in all it's oily goodie-ness.

You need to be specific man. Is the oil in the motor only? If so you have noooooo problem.

Is there oil outside the motor? If so where? We can not see it, we do not know what leak you are talking about. It is like me asking you, "my bearing seems loose, is the bearing OK?"

Valve cover is bolted to the head, head is bolted to the cylinder, cylinder is bolted to the cases.

• Zerofounder

Posted July 26, 2009 - 08:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I am a dirtbike newbie. But I took the plastic off and the bolt holding down the cover is leaking oil on the outside. It looks like its coming from the seal that the bolt is holding down.

• moto_x2005

Posted July 27, 2009 - 11:35 AM

yes then you need the valve cover grommet.. check it make sure its installed right as well.. rubber side down, also has direction markings on it

• Zerofounder

Posted July 28, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Yes. Its the valve cover. The oil leak is from the valve cover bolts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Bike review of my 2015 CRF250R by Justwant2ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • Hot  55 replies
Wiki
Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com - last post by Fastheads (BK)

Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2010 / 11 Big end and leaky fuel injection problem by bikeboy32

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CRF 250R 2012 THE ULTIMATE TOUGH TEST by dirty897

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf250 fork seal leak by cr250-04

• 12 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.