03/05 intake question

5 replies to this topic
  • SC_Spode

Posted July 15, 2009 - 07:39 PM

I know this isn't on the "current events" list but was hoping someone else had some experience with this and could share their experience. I did some searches but failed to uncover anything relative.

Yamaha updated the intake boot (from the airbox to the carb) on the 2005 YZ450F from the design used on the 03 & 04 models.

Question: did anyone have an 03 or 04 model who installed the new boot from the 05 and, if so, what difference did it make?

I now this is a reach, but I figured I wouldn't know unless I asked! :worthy:

:banana:

• mikedabike

Posted July 15, 2009 - 08:03 PM

None you could notice. Maybe with a dyno but seat of the pants I could not tell any difference.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2009 - 09:30 PM

The air boot was one element of a general tweaking of the entire intake tract. The port and combustion chamber were revised, also. Without all 3, the gains from any single element would be minimal, and as a set, it was a minor refinement anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SC_Spode

Posted July 16, 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks guys. :worthy:

I know Yamaha changed several items like gray mentioned in 05 in the intake/head but I had heard that the intake boot reportedly cleared up any funky carburetion issues from the previous design - hiccuping, stalling, etc.

I have a chance to pick up a nice, one-owner 03 and I definitely wouldn't be looking for more power, just smoother, cleaner jetting if available. It's been a number of years since I sold my last 03 so I couldn't remember anything specific about its tendencies at lower speeds. But if it had a habit of flaming out I hope I would remember it. :banana:

Maybe a WR450 stock exhaust cam :banana:

:banana:

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2009 - 02:06 PM

You remember you wanted a big ol' flywheel on your '03, right?

• SC_Spode

Posted July 16, 2009 - 02:29 PM

:worthy:

This one already has the GYTR FW on it but I always liked the real heavy weight from Steahly I had on one of my 03's. It was sooo much like an XR on steroids - very smooth and controllable but very strong - without all the extra weight! :banana:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.