Need Help - 2006 KX 450 will not start now

12 replies to this topic
  • Jo Nunez

Posted July 14, 2009 - 05:26 PM

I was out practicing at Miami MX this past Sunday and took a hard fall. My rubber mounts and bars needed to be straightened out after the hard shot.

I went out the next session and did 3 fast laps with no problem when all of a sudden going into a berm the bike just bogged and quit running. I pushed it over to my truck and kicked it over 10-15 times with no luck. I turned on the choke and it fired after a few kicks for 1-2 seconds and stopped running again. I pulled the main fuel line going into the carb. and had plenty of fuel. Air filter was also clean. Compression feels the same as before.

I put a new plug in last night and still no luck. I by passed the cut off ignition switch by unplugging it and tried to get a spark on the spark plug against the motor and frame with no luck. It looks like I do not have any spark at this time.

What else should I be looking for ? CDI box behind the number plate is plugged in ok. I un-plugged it and re-plugged it to be sure. Do they go bad ? Stator ?

I have owned the bike for over 3 years now with no major problems. I have a DR.D exhaust and high compression piston.

I appreciate any input !

Thanks,

JO

• gonzokx

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:13 PM

JO

Any damage to the kill switch or wires?????

Hope this helps
Ernie

• Jo Nunez

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:18 PM

I pulled the kill switch from the handlebar and the wires looked OK. I also made sure the red button on the kill switch is not sticking. With the fuel tank removed I checked the wires and everyhing looks normal.

Since my bars took the majority of the hit that was the 1st thing I checked before putting in a new spark plug.

My KX 450 has been very well taken care off and has always started within a few kicks hot or cold.

I am not sure about the CDI box since I do not have any experience with it or the stator.

Thanks for your post.

JO

• JA_Allen

Posted July 15, 2009 - 05:06 AM

This may sound like a long shot, and may have nothing to do with the crash, but your symptoms sound like the ones some guys have had when the flywheel has lost its magnetism. Miami is hot. They tend to lose it when overheated, even if a boilover has not occurred.

Try that next. You are describing the same symptoms those who had this problem described. Just try it. At least this way, you will not have to go crazy like those poor guys did tracking this down. Borrow one if you can, or get one that you can return to test.

After you check the flywheel, if that is not it, because of the crash, check the whole wiring harness out for shorts. You never know what could have hit in your crash to chafe a wire in the harness. Also, check your stator for any damage from the crash inside the cover.

• Jo Nunez

Posted July 15, 2009 - 07:56 PM

Looking into it. I will let you all know once the problem is found.

Thanks for the heads up.

JO

• Jo Nunez

Posted July 23, 2009 - 05:57 PM

Just to give you guys an update: Replaced the Stator and it fired right up. Kawasaki Part # 21003-0035.

Thanks for all your help !

JO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • noobinacan

Posted December 03, 2010 - 05:40 PM

I wish I would have found this post earlier...
but everything you typed in your original post is the same stuff I went through
after several hours of troubleshooting...
cleaning carb..
replacing spark plug...
++

I just found today...using a multimeter that stator is not making any power.
I'm hoping the new stator will fix my issues.

• 99_dr_350

Posted December 03, 2010 - 07:58 PM

try to find a motor rewind shop, same thing happened to my bike. driving down the trail it quit and lost spark, had a guy look at it and one wire broke on the stator, cost me 40$ cnd to get that one pole rewound. i did get a deal on it but it shouldnt be to hard to find someone to check it and from kawasaki a stator is like 400$ cnd

• unibrow

Posted December 04, 2010 - 01:07 PM

I had a rock split my radiator hose and over heated my bike. Had a hard time starting it.(once I fixed the hose) I rebuilt the topend and it is still hard to start. I did notice the spark seemed week but still had a slight spark. I wonder if I have the same problem as JA Allen is talking about? Since I have a spark I wonder if the Flywheel is week???? or do I need to replace the stator too???
Anyway to test these parts, if so what are the spec's?

• noobinacan

Posted December 04, 2010 - 09:47 PM

I had a rock split my radiator hose and over heated my bike. Had a hard time starting it.(once I fixed the hose) I rebuilt the topend and it is still hard to start. I did notice the spark seemed week but still had a slight spark. I wonder if I have the same problem as JA Allen is talking about? Since I have a spark I wonder if the Flywheel is week???? or do I need to replace the stator too???
Anyway to test these parts, if so what are the spec's?

from what I have been told, if something wrong with stator then it will be a on/off situation as in. no spark or spark.
If its weak spark.

then it could be as simple as stator re-wind or flywheel.
The good thing about weak spark is that atleast you know your wiring/circuit is good.

are you trying with new spark plug ?

• unibrow

Posted December 04, 2010 - 11:40 PM

from what I have been told, if something wrong with stator then it will be a on/off situation as in. no spark or spark.
If its weak spark.

then it could be as simple as stator re-wind or flywheel.
The good thing about weak spark is that atleast you know your wiring/circuit is good.

are you trying with new spark plug ?

Yes, I did install a new plug. Seemed to work a little better. My bike is just a pain to start now. I usually have to bump start it. Runs fine once I get it fired up. Then I go to kick start it and it pops or back fires.

• noobinacan

Posted December 05, 2010 - 06:03 AM

Yes, I did install a new plug. Seemed to work a little better. My bike is just a pain to start now. I usually have to bump start it. Runs fine once I get it fired up. Then I go to kick start it and it pops or back fires.

what's your fuel air screw set to ?
sounds like could be something with your kick start ?
I'm not sure.
you just have to keep trouble shooting it...

Stuff that happens half way or sporadically is always a pain to track down.

• JA_Allen

Posted December 05, 2010 - 03:00 PM

Unibrow,

That does sound like the weak flywheel problem. It will produce enough for a strong spark when spinning, but not hot enough for a slow kick.
Most of us that had this issue, a bump start would start it. Also, the hotter it will get later, the worse it will get.

Try the new flywheel, and a stator check. Let us know what it ends up being as well.

Thanks and good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Cam tensioner cap bolt... by CincoBoy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

KX FI Calibration kit 2015 by freerider_australia

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KX450F 2013 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KX450F 2013
  • 27 reviews
  • Last review by diazjoaquin
  • On October 25, 2014
Forums
Photo

Got a new bike by 06kx450_savy

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

The official KX450F picture/video thread! by VETMX808

• Hot  967 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.