07 WR450 Throttle stop

5 replies to this topic
  • mb450

Posted July 14, 2009 - 03:54 PM

I just bought o new 07 WR450. I want to do the throttle stop mod. Where in the parts diagram is it or how can I do it myself?

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:00 PM

MB you can probably do a search on here and get more detailed information but basically, if you look at the right side of your bike and the carb you will see where the throttle cables enter and attach to the throttle bell. That area is covered with a plate that is held on by two silver allen head screws - one to the upper front and one to the lower rear. The throttle stop screw is to the bottom rear of that plate. I found it pretty much impossible to see with the bike fully assembled. So.....

Remove: seat (10mm), radiator shrouds,(8mm) tank (8mm) side covers (10 mm) rear half of exhaust (10 mm)

Remove the lower to bolts on the sub frame and loosen the top bolt on the sub frame (10 mm)

Loosen Air Box boot to carb clamp (allen) and remove upper and lower breather tubes from air box (both on left side).

Pivot sub frame up and forward so that it is resting up side down with the rear fender pointed towards the front of your bike.

Remove upper shock bolt (14mm) and pivot shock rearward. If this does not give you enough room you will have to remove lower shock bolt (17mm) and remove entire shock body.

You will be able to see that black allen head throttle stop bolt, remove it and cut to length or replace with YZ bolt.

Spray some Pam, WD40 or other lubricant onto the air box side of the carb and re-assemble in reverse order.

No more than six or seven minutes of work at most with several beer breaks:lol:

Seriously, not hard just a bit of time spinning wrenches.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:50 PM

That is a pretty good description... but on my 2008 I was able to change the throttle stop in just a few minutes without disassembling anything... just takes patience and a good allen wrench.

If you know where the hex head of the throttle stop is on the carb it is pretty easy to do even with my big hands. If you've never done one before or can't find the right screw, probably a good idea to follow his steps below. He is right, it is hard to see it with everything in the way.

MB you can probably do a search on here and get more detailed information but basically, if you look at the right side of your bike and the carb you will see where the throttle cables enter and attach to the throttle bell. That area is covered with a plate that is held on by two silver allen head screws - one to the upper front and one to the lower rear. The throttle stop screw is to the bottom rear of that plate. I found it pretty much impossible to see with the bike fully assembled. So.....

Remove: seat (10mm), radiator shrouds,(8mm) tank (8mm) side covers (10 mm) rear half of exhaust (10 mm)

Remove the lower to bolts on the sub frame and loosen the top bolt on the sub frame (10 mm)

Loosen Air Box boot to carb clamp (allen) and remove upper and lower breather tubes from air box (both on left side).

Pivot sub frame up and forward so that it is resting up side down with the rear fender pointed towards the front of your bike.

Remove upper shock bolt (14mm) and pivot shock rearward. If this does not give you enough room you will have to remove lower shock bolt (17mm) and remove entire shock body.

You will be able to see that black allen head throttle stop bolt, remove it and cut to length or replace with YZ bolt.

Spray some Pam, WD40 or other lubricant onto the air box side of the carb and re-assemble in reverse order.

No more than six or seven minutes of work at most with several beer breaks:lol:

Seriously, not hard just a bit of time spinning wrenches.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wartsnuff

Posted July 15, 2009 - 06:48 AM

my 2008, i was able to change the throttle stop without taking anything off

3/8" by 6" extention with a 3/8 ratchet and 3/8" - allen screw attachement

took all of 2 minutes...

good luck have fun
cheers
Warts

• William1

Posted July 15, 2009 - 08:50 AM

User Lucgallant (sp?) posted pictures recently either here or on the WR250 section showing the screw and and an 'idiots guide' to a 1 minute stop swap. Ok, maybe 2 minutes.... :worthy:

Hint - It really helps if the Allen tool is a ball end type.

• William1

Posted July 16, 2009 - 08:06 AM

Here is the thread I mentioned above.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.