IGN/Clutch cover paint stripping?

4 replies to this topic
  • Superbike

Posted March 24, 2003 - 04:40 PM

Anybody tried stripping the paint off of the stock ignition and clutch covers? Yamaha finally got smart and left the cases bare. They had to paint the covers though. I may stripp the paint and hope it looks as good as a Honda cover. They sure make the bike look raggy when the paint wears. ---Mike

• yamaharichey

Posted March 24, 2003 - 04:49 PM

I just use a regular heavy duty paint stripper from the paint store. I have stripped the cases on my other bikes, but not my WR450 yet. I have found if its aluminum you can buff it and it will stay shiny for a long time, if its magnrsium it goes dull as soon as you wash it. The clutch cover says magnesium on it I'am not sure on the magneto side, and I don't know how you can tell.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2003 - 05:29 PM

What is the advantage in stripping off the steel gray paint?

• Superbike

Posted March 24, 2003 - 06:06 PM

The only advantage would be having a uniform look to the covers. That way you do not get the stripe where your boot wears. I am willing to bet they are both magnisium. It is cheaper and easier to die cast. I wonder if it would look ok if you strip it and leave it? ----Mike

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2003 - 06:13 PM

Ok I understand. My boots scratch up the sides a lot. I just live with the appearance. Let us know which method works best on the WR covers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.