2006 WR450F Overheating in the woods.

11 replies to this topic
  • Chopperking

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:06 AM

I recently purchased this 2006 WR450F used. The previous owner done the free mods: removal of AIS, grey wire disconnect, shortened idle screw. There is no air box mods done at this time. He made a comment that he had worked on jetting but "may not be completely right". While in the woods the bike was blowing off anti-freeze only when idling or when hung up in the mud :worthy: . This does not seem normal, although I am not sure. Is this common? Do I go up on the pilot jet? Do I go up on the main jet? Need Advice...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:52 AM

Buy a JD jet kit, uncork the airbox and exhaust, and you will have a cool running, better running bike.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 14, 2009 - 10:27 AM

I've ridden on some pretty hot days, with hill climbs and slow woods riding, and never had any coolant boil over. This will probably be cured with proper jetting, but you should also use some Engine Ice or Water Wetter.

• Chopperking

Posted July 14, 2009 - 05:53 PM

:worthy: What I need to hear...did not think it should be blowing off coolant. Exhaust has been uncorked. I got some insight from jetting feed for reference...will test from there.
Thanks.

• klossWR450

Posted July 15, 2009 - 04:56 AM

I have Vapor tach on mine and noticed the water pump is not effective below 6000 rpm, seems like coolant is just sitting there waiting for a push, my bike is supermoto and I use it mostly in town, even when static at the lights and the temp sensor reads say 105 centigrade it only takes a twist or two of the throttle and it drops to 98-95 (like the coolant from radiators got swapped with the hot one from engine, the same applies when cruising at 100 km/h when revs are just below 6000 temp gets to 100, clutch in+couple of throttle twists and it drops to 80-85 in seconds, this engines are designed to rev high basically, I also use engine ice for a month now and bike seems to run about 5 C cooler when very hot.

• wartsnuff

Posted July 15, 2009 - 07:16 AM

I have Vapor tach on mine and noticed the water pump is not effective below 6000 rpm, seems like coolant is just sitting there waiting for a push, my bike is supermoto and I use it mostly in town, even when static at the lights and the temp sensor reads say 105 centigrade it only takes a twist or two of the throttle and it drops to 98-95 (like the coolant from radiators got swapped with the hot one from engine, the same applies when cruising at 100 km/h when revs are just below 6000 temp gets to 100, clutch in+couple of throttle twists and it drops to 80-85 in seconds, this engines are designed to rev high basically, I also use engine ice for a month now and bike seems to run about 5 C cooler when very hot.

what RPM is your WR @ 100km/h ??? i would have thought the motor was doing well over 6k... wow alot lower than i thought

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chopperking

Posted July 15, 2009 - 07:58 AM

I woke up early and tore into carb...replaced "red" needle with "blue" one putting clip on the fourth ring from the top. I also turned mixture screw out to 1.75 turns. Will see what happens!:worthy:

• klossWR450

Posted July 15, 2009 - 01:33 PM

about 6100 rpm at 100km/h, that's with 17" wheels and 13/42 gearing, just did my first track day today and the temp stayed at 78-85 all the time while riding it properly, must say I'm a novice and was surprised how easy it was to humiliate R1s and GSXR1000s and other missiles :worthy:

• Chopperking

Posted July 22, 2009 - 03:10 PM

I just returned from Red Bird Crest Trails in the Daniel Boone Forest and the carb adjustments done the trick. I did make one final adjustments, therefore the final settings were: 170 jet, blue needle on #3, air mixture at 1.75 turns, thick o-ring on accelerator pump, all others stock. Bike performed great with perfect out of the hole performance, excellent mid range and top end. Also the overheating issues are no more :worthy: . Planning the Hatfield McCoy system next!

• wr450fwi

Posted July 25, 2009 - 05:30 PM

I recently purchased this 2006 WR450F used. The previous owner done the free mods: removal of AIS, grey wire disconnect, shortened idle screw. There is no air box mods done at this time. He made a comment that he had worked on jetting but "may not be completely right". While in the woods the bike was blowing off anti-freeze only when idling or when hung up in the mud :worthy: . This does not seem normal, although I am not sure. Is this common? Do I go up on the pilot jet? Do I go up on the main jet? Need Advice...

hi i getting myself a 06 wr 450 BUT THE PREVIOUS OWNER say dat it s stock .and i would like to know a lil bit mo about the removal AIS ,and the grey wire disconnect ,and idle screw
i want to kno mo about these free mods please .thanks seb

• tribalbc

Posted July 25, 2009 - 06:33 PM

hi i getting myself a 06 wr 450 BUT THE PREVIOUS OWNER say dat it s stock .and i would like to know a lil bit mo about the removal AIS ,and the grey wire disconnect ,and idle screw
i want to kno mo about these free mods please .thanks seb

All the info's in here

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372

• Chopperking

Posted July 26, 2009 - 07:25 PM

Check the TT link it tells all. You will like that motorcycle!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.