Woodruff or Starter Clutch Let Go?

2 replies to this topic
  • KBD

Posted March 24, 2003 - 03:06 PM

I've had the 450 for 6 weeks now but haven't riden it much as too much rain in Houston area and I knew that the key issue wasn't sorted plus a bunch of MX by my son - so only 31 miles. Pushing 5 miles with my leg isn't an option...

Been starting it with the kick - but yeaterday hit the button and it started and then backfired/died. Hit the button again and just spinning at the starter - but not turning over the engine. After 31 years on Yamaha I might be sorry that I didn't just keep the 426 or go to KTM on this one!

Is this the way yours was or sounds like the starter isn't engaging. I really like my dealer - Texas Yamaha - and it kept me from going the Orange - but when I tool it in they didn't want to work on lapping the crank/key as no gaskets. etc were available - and probably still aren't.

My frame is 00755. Will be at Yamaha tomorrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foursmoke

Posted March 24, 2003 - 03:18 PM

Ignition cover gasket is available. My dealer wouldn't do TBS repair without it. Got it back on Friday and rode Sun. for 25 miles and no problems. :)

• dmp437

Posted March 24, 2003 - 03:53 PM

Hmmmm. Sounds a little like the problem that the purchasers of Yamaha quads have been having >HERE for Starter Problems<
Hope it's not the same issue, because I don't think Yamaha has a fix for it.
Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.