Mountainbiking... What a great workout for us..

11 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 17, 2002 - 05:58 PM

I recently purchased a new mountainbike because my old bike was just too old and wasn't fully suspended. I have found that having a really nice bike has gotten me into riding bicycles off-road again. I used to run after work a few times a week but it just became a chore to me. And now with my mountainbike it's just like moto-ing (is that a word?) and you get an amazing workout without the pounding on your knees or back. Im sure many of you guys already know this but im just figuring it out. I've been riding it alot and im ready for my race next weekend in Baja this weekend thanks to my bicycle. In conclusion, get a good mountainbike and enjoy a workout for a change...

Posted Image

A few weeks ago in Tonopah.....

• Dan_from_HB

Posted September 17, 2002 - 06:09 PM

Hey Danno,
Glad to see you're having fun on the mt bike. Had a great ride a few weeks ago with Paul and Monty. Did you get my email? I'm about to get back into the club events. Might do D-37 Enduro circuit next season if business picks up and I get a little more time (and if I get the house done).
Drop me a line after Baja.
Dan

• Chaindrive

Posted September 17, 2002 - 07:48 PM

I get totally exhausted and thoroughly pumped just watching you guys ! Boy, I wish I were young and dumb again! :D Who needs a motor? :) Is spandex OK to wear at the track yet? :D

OK, so I'm fat, bald and forty (well, two outa three anyway) and envious. The muscle groups and balancing skills developed on bicycles is very beneficial to riding. Can't think of any local A Class riders who can't amaze me on a bicycle, too.

[ September 18, 2002, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Chaindrive ]

• Fryboy

Posted September 18, 2002 - 03:04 AM

Good luck at Baja Dan ! Keep us posted on your experience. I love living vicariously through you :) :D

Yeah I think one of these days I will need to buy a mb too. Do they make beer holders for them yet? Hmmm?

Dave

• BigDesto

Posted September 18, 2002 - 05:18 AM

Hey Dan, Had a blast this weekend at Big Bear(SnowSummit), There were 5 of us up there and the weather was great. Sometimes it's nice having a chair lift take me and my 40-something lb. bike to the top of the hill and ripping on down! There was alot of carnage in our group, nothing major, just some cuts and bruises and some pride :D :)
I'll let you know when we head up there again. Good Luck in Baja!!!!! Mike

• CHris_PArks

Posted September 18, 2002 - 06:25 AM

i agree about the MB. i got a sick GAry Fisher and it helps with the lets soo much. plus balance contro lseem to help a little. and you don't have to buy gas for it.

parx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted September 18, 2002 - 07:08 AM

I agree totally. I mtn bike 3x week, much more than I ride dirt bikes. I actually started riding HS and enduros because of the mtn bike. I have great trails near my house and can get an awesome workout and fun descent in 1.5 hr after work. I cant even get to the track and get dressed in 1.5 hr on my MXer.

I wish the skills would translate more though. I am still alot better on pedals than on footpegs.

• SealClubber

Posted September 18, 2002 - 03:09 PM

It's funny cause MBers consider MXing to be good cross training. Builds reaction times at speed and stuff.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 18, 2002 - 04:32 PM

Originally posted by mikeolichney:
I agree totally. I mtn bike 3x week, much more than I ride dirt bikes. I actually started riding HS and enduros because of the mtn bike. I have great trails near my house and can get an awesome workout and fun descent in 1.5 hr after work. I cant even get to the track and get dressed in 1.5 hr on my MXer.

I wish the skills would translate more though. I am still alot better on pedals than on footpegs.

Sounds awsome!!!!!!!! :)

• The_Missile

Posted September 18, 2002 - 09:41 PM

For me MB and WR riding complement one another

I did MB for about 8 years before I got my WR. I do both about equally now that the newness of my WR has worn off. I like to go fast downhill on my MB, having my WR has made me even faster as MB speeds are nothing compared to WR speeds.

The only problem I have is that sometimes I forget I only have 100mm of suspension up front instead of the the 300ish of the WR. Makes for some messy shorts!!

The MB certainly keeps me in shape, but for building strength, nothing beats picking up that ole WR 15 times per outing!

I have to say though that I am more tired after a 6 hour enduro than a 6 hour mountain bike ride.

The point is however, they are both waaay fun each in its own way!!

If you want an awesome ride pick up a Cannondale Jekyl with a lefty fork. I used to ride Trek Y's but converted 2 years ago and wont be going back to Trek. Rocky Mountain are also great, I have 5 buddys who swear by them.

• mikeolichney

Posted September 19, 2002 - 07:00 AM

I agree Missile, but I think I am more tired after an enduro than a mb ride because I try to race the enduro (something to do with not being able to zero checks). On a long mb ride I usually get lots of rest. I am pretty tired after a 6 hour bicycle race though.

After starting up with enduros last year, I came to think the whole timekeeping deal was pretty cool. I was toying with the idea of putting on a mb enduro. Has anyone ever done that?

I also switched from Ys to a lefty. The lefty is great!

• WR_Jason

Posted September 19, 2002 - 10:21 AM

Yeah MBiking is awesome and you can do it in most parks where the would chase you off if you even had your dirtbike in your truck and parked there! Riding Dirt bikes maks you a much faster MB rider as speed dose not intimadate you at all as long as you have confidence in your bike. I have an older Mongoose MB with fairly bad suspended fork and barley suspended seat post and I can rip circles around guys with much more expensive bikes. But I also ride rode bikes 4 days a week too! I had to quit running because it was tearing up my knees but biking is great for your knees.
I am trying to arrange a Cdale Jykell with the lefty fork for Xmass, I will be a back woods misile with that thing, catching big air and all!!! :) http://www.cannondal...model-2VN1.html

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.