Seat shaving

33 replies to this topic
  • hredlus

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:33 PM

I do not understand the logic of shaving foam down that we all know does not compress and shape itself in a good way, even when broken in, in hopes that it will magically transform into foam that will be comfortable when shaved...

If the seat is too high and you can not adjust height any other way, I'd shave it. If you are looking to a way away from monkey butt, after you wipe well.... get an aftermarket seat with quality foam materials.

I've got a drz and I swear that stock seat was designed by a proctologist looking to increase his client list!!

• Few

Posted July 20, 2009 - 07:34 AM

I got A Gutz soft last week.:banana:
No more monkey butt!:worthy:

• 2FlatsandBent

Posted July 20, 2009 - 09:21 AM

I do not understand the logic of shaving foam down that we all know does not compress and shape itself in a good way, even when broken in, in hopes that it will magically transform into foam that will be comfortable when shaved...

If the seat is too high and you can not adjust height any other way, I'd shave it. If you are looking to a way away from monkey butt, after you wipe well.... get an aftermarket seat with quality foam materials.

I've got a drz and I swear that stock seat was designed by a proctologist looking to increase his client list!!

I specifically shaved my DRZ to reduce seat height a little with out affecting the suspension and handling or having to go through the rigmarole of readjusting it all. While I was doing it I ‘magically transformed’ it into a more comfortable profile. The way that the foam is shaped makes as much difference as its density (that’s why the edges aren’t just squared off – well, that and it would look all bobo and dumb).
The reason my DRZ seat was so uncomfortable to me personally was because it was so narrow on top. When I shaved it down for lower height (and incidentally lower center of gravity – a definite plus for that heavy sucker) I also shaped it wider on top and that solved the comfort problem too.
You’re probably right about the quality aftermarket foam; I just did the cheapo gig. What kind did you get?

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 20, 2009 - 11:32 AM

my ass hurt from the seat before and now I can touch the ground. I still gained in my opinion. Sitting to much makes my ass hurt. I agree with quality of wipe on the monkey but thing... wipe good or use baby wipes for those forest dumps.

• hredlus

Posted July 20, 2009 - 12:01 PM

Rollin,

I tried the shaving bit first.... and my seat really looked like I DID THE CUTTING. I'm a guy that could sleep comfortably on a dirt floor with a rock as a pillow, but that stock seat, shaved or otherwise, just could not get it to cooperate with my butt! Seemed ok at first both shaved and unshaved, but after 30 min to hour riding (road only, dirt no problems as I guess the constant moving, standing, etc is enough to give butt a break), get these pressure points from hell!

After lots of reading (here and other sites), I rolled the dice with Corbin. Comes in this week, and I'm anxious to get on it and go... thogh i heard it takes a number of good rides to break it in.

At $379 it was not an easy decision...

The fatigue from my last ride drove me over the edge!!! Maybe I'm a wuss, but it was that bad... and I'm a cheap-o too, so believe me when i say it was not an easy decision. i WISH my seat shaving experiment yielded better results. Looked fine, but the end result was the same foam just did not like my butt!

h

• 2FlatsandBent

Posted July 20, 2009 - 01:27 PM

Yea, I’ll admit that on longer road rides I get some pain but it’s mostly lower back and not my butt. I don’t ride on the roads that much; only work commutes. 90% of the time I’m on trails or fire roads and it doesn’t bother me then. Like you say; all the moving around.
Man, that OG seat made my inner thighs sore as crap though! After the shave it went away. Like I said, everyone’s different.

Once you get the Corbin put on you should start a new thread and tell us how it is. Maybe I’ll go that route on the WR. I might have to get some lottery tickets to try and fund it though.

• hredlus

Posted July 20, 2009 - 08:05 PM

hahah, believe me, these days the $$ on that seat made me sweat... I dont supersize my fries anymore, but last few rides, and last ride in particular, i would have paid ANYTHING not to have to ride even a minute longer. Did not help that I had a backpack on, or that it was 100 degrees... but, figured i'll have the bike for a long time so it's worth it for the comfort factor.

:worthy:

Hal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mele63

Posted July 21, 2009 - 06:54 AM

$379.00 for a seat? For that money you could buy a lifetime supply of this ....

Posted Image

• hredlus

Posted July 21, 2009 - 08:37 PM

ahahahaha, believe me, that was my first choice and try!!!! hahahah, that's pretty funny... my kid in fact walked around the house repeating "dad has an itchy itchy rash' and i finally had to throw him into the pool to get him to shut up!! it's 100+ tonight, and getting hotter through the week, so believe me, powder is a must!!

hahahah

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 25, 2009 - 09:57 PM

After lots of reading (here and other sites), I rolled the dice with Corbin. Comes in this week, and I'm anxious to get on it and go... thogh i heard it takes a number of good rides to break it in.
h

FWIW I have had a couple of Corbin seats on a couple of different street bikes over the years. They are VERY comfortable. They are pretty stiff when you get them and seem to need to be broken in but if his dirt bike seats are anything like his street bikes seats you will be very happy.

I am very fortunate. I am fat enough to compress my suspension enough to touch the ground, slow enough so that the soft, compressed suspension does not affect my riding and I find the stock seat very comfortable.:worthy:

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 03, 2009 - 06:51 AM

Update. Sad as it is, I got my first ride with the seat yesterday. It was 90+ degrees.(I didn't move to Montana cause I like hot weather) I was able to kick start the bike easier (dead battery) on the trail. I was able to touch, plant my leg and get through technical situations with less effort. The biggest thing was no tip over's:thumbsup: I felt like my center gravity was lower when cornering and made the bike feel a bit more nimble. I didn't sit much mainly because I found it to be cooler standing rather than humping my engine. I did sit on some faster forest roads. The padding did seem a bit thin and would guess that if I sat for 100 miles my butt would be sore. I don't planning on doing 100 miles in Montana sitting. Not on this bike anyway. The seat is was hot from the sun and felt like I was sitting on a hot plate at times. I think a light color gray would be nice but hard to keep it clean looking. When I did try sitting I felt like the pegs were a bit to high. I'm going to see if I like that feeling or may consider a lower foot peg. More testing. In all i wish I had done it sooner. Anyone with a 30" or less inseam should consider this. I would start with the medium density foam. I got the soft and slightly regret that.

• hredlus

Posted August 03, 2009 - 04:54 PM

Update #1
one 1oo mile ride under my belt with the new corbin seat. zero complaints about butt pain or related fatigue... me thinks I made a good decision for a change!

One note that is a bit disappointing... there is a small (nickel size) divot in the foam under the seat cover. In the foam, not noticable unless you push down on the seat with your hand... can not feel it when sitting on it, but dang it i notice it. Called Jessica at Corbin (who folks I gotta tell you, was a total rockstar when it came to customer service... ask for her by name, she takes great care of your order and makes you not feel like just a number), anyway, called her, she noted my sales order with the defect description, but suggested since i can not feel it at all to simply ride it until the rainy season comes and send it in then... or, ride down to the shop and they'll fix it while I wait. Comfortable butt, dont feel like a number, and smart customer service suggesting I enjoy the rest of the season in comfort THEN send in the seat for repair... that's just a good deal in my book.

I'll let you know how the breakin period goes... can not wait to log on miles.

Next ride, we're heading west from Roseville till we hit coastline via unconventional roads... whohoo!!

• rkwfxd1

Posted August 03, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Can you guys post pics?

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:07 AM

Can you guys post pics?

depends on what you want a picture of:bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.