Seat shaving

33 replies to this topic
  • Charles De Mar

Posted July 13, 2009 - 11:17 AM

I am stumped on the stapling the cover to the plastic. Every thing I tried was fail. two brands of HD staplers and an electric one. >:(Guts racing soft stock height. I can now touch with both balls of my feet. Both balls already hit the ground before.:worthy:
i used this saw
Posted Image
and this shaper.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• mele63

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:18 PM

I use a Black and Decker PowerShot staple gun. Some brands/types of staples work better than others - if the staples don't go in all the way you can finish the job with a tack hammer. If worse comes to worse you could even try to use the same holes as the original staples.

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:20 PM

I use a Black and Decker PowerShot staple gun. Some brands/types of staples work better than others - if the staples don't go in all the way you can finish the job with a tack hammer. If worse comes to worse you could even try to use the same holes as the original staples.

that would be like threading two needles in two gnat's assess:lol:

• mele63

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:51 PM

that would be like threading two needles in two gnat's assess:lol:

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about....

...then again, you already copied everything else I did so why stop now?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=740798

Posted Image

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:55 PM

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about....

...then again, you already copied everything else I did so why stop now?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=740798

Posted Image

c'mon I was kidding!:worthy: Thanks for the original post!

• Mtn-Track

Posted July 13, 2009 - 01:01 PM

Wow! Either you guys don't have-a-pair, or, you're tucking 'em in your shirt pockets before you sit on them seats!:worthy:

I'm getting monkey butt just LOOKING at your work!:banana:

:banana:

• mele63

Posted July 13, 2009 - 01:03 PM

You're welcome...stick with me and you'll get it done...when I re-stapled my seat cover back on I'm sure some of the staples went into the original holes - those went in the easiest.

Just be careful the staples don't come through the other side - the foam isn't as thick as the original now that you shaved it.

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 13, 2009 - 01:04 PM

Wow! Either you guys don't have-a-pair, or, you're tucking 'em in your shirt pockets before you sit on them seats!:worthy:

I'm getting monkey butt just looking at your work!:banana:

If you wash yuor a-hole you won't get monkey butt:moon: I ride most of the time standing!(padded riding shorts help too!) I'm pretty sure I shaved off a good amount of weight on the bike by cutting the seat down.:banana:

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 13, 2009 - 01:07 PM

You're welcome...stick with me and you'll get it done...when I re-stapled my seat cover back on I'm sure some of the staples went into the original holes - those went in the easiest.

Just be careful the staples don't come through the other side - the foam isn't as thick as the original now that you shaved it.

:worthy: I'm getting a new cover, mine is a bit worn in some spots and has a hole in another. Putting the seat cover back on was a test and so I could ride until delivery. I will be revisiting this soon. I talked to an upholster that will do it for $15.00. That's cheaper than a staple gun.

• 2FlatsandBent

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:45 AM

I did my DRZ with a Stanley electric stapler and had no problems at all – just tack in the ones that don’t go all the way down with a small hammer. Maybe the DRZ plastic is softer than the WR plastic.:banana:
It is important to tack everything down from opposite sides and ends first and then fill in the rest. That’s the easiest way to keep the tension even (kind of like torquing it on). :banana:

I just got a 06 WR 450 and am about to do it to that. We’ll see how it goes.

BTW – a bread knife works perfect for cutting the foam. I used a small surform like yours to finish up.:worthy:

Posted Image

sorry about the crappy blurry picture:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtn-Track

Posted July 14, 2009 - 09:37 AM

If you wash yuor a-hole you won't get monkey butt:moon:

:worthy:

....details, details.....

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 14, 2009 - 11:18 AM

dirt+ass=:worthy:

• 06crf_er

Posted July 14, 2009 - 11:26 AM

The key to stapling the seat on is to have the seat and pastic restin on a firm base with the gun pressed firmly down on the plastic for the staple to take. Otherwise, the rebound of the seat and bounce won't allow the staple to penetrate into the plastic.

• 06crf_er

Posted July 14, 2009 - 11:27 AM

I did my DRZ with a Stanley electric stapler and had no problems at all – just tack in the ones that don’t go all the way down with a small hammer. Maybe the DRZ plastic is softer than the WR plastic.:banana:
It is important to tack everything down from opposite sides and ends first and then fill in the rest. That’s the easiest way to keep the tension even (kind of like torquing it on). :banana:

I just got a 06 WR 450 and am about to do it to that. We’ll see how it goes.

BTW – a bread knife works perfect for cutting the foam. I used a small surform like yours to finish up.:worthy:

Posted Image

sorry about the crappy blurry picture:smirk:

Sweet ride man :banana:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 14, 2009 - 04:35 PM

I shaved my stock seat a bit on my 05 wr450 and it is is very uncomfortable on long rides. My ass gets really sore.

When you do this, is it better to start out with the guts racing foam?

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 15, 2009 - 08:19 AM

I shaved my stock seat a bit on my 05 wr450 and it is is very uncomfortable on long rides. My ass gets really sore.

:worthy: That was a guts foam I ruined:lol:

• mele63

Posted July 16, 2009 - 05:44 AM

I shaved the stock seat foam on my last two bikes, never noticed increased ass-soreness before vs. after.

On the other hand I know guys with stock seats who complain bitterly of sore ass/monkey butt after every ride.

I say the seat shaving is the best mod I've ever done, irregardless of cost.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 16, 2009 - 02:58 PM

I've done numerous covers on WR's with an Arrow T-50 stapler... I always go back over them and "roll them in" using a pair of diagonal cutters (dykes). If you use the side of the cutting head and roll them in with pressure they are stuck good... it takes a while but I am cheap and refuse to pay to have it done. :worthy:

• jdg211707

Posted July 16, 2009 - 08:40 PM

i shaved my 07 wr450 twice, first time i left i way too wide and flat ,monkey butt bad. the seconed time i thined it out to match the width on the center portion of the seat cover. also drilled 1/2 relief holes from bottom up not protruding through seat surface. can touch feet on moderate terrain no problem. way better butt not as comfy as uncut foam.

• 2FlatsandBent

Posted July 17, 2009 - 07:04 AM

You may have shaved off a little too much:banghead: . The WR doesn't have a lot of foam to work with; my DRZ was way thicker. Also, leaving it too wide or narrow can become uncomfortable. Everybody's different but the stock seat on the DRZ was too narrow for me so when I trimmed it out I made it a little wider :worthy: . You can use the original foam as a pattern like jdg211707 suggests. His drilling idea sounds good too. Maybe you wouldn't have to shave as much if the foam compressed a little easier. I think I'll give that a try.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.