carbs and jetting for dummies

2 replies to this topic
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted March 24, 2003 - 10:52 AM

I read about all this jetting stuff and it intrigues me. But I am not the best wrench west of the mississippi. I can figure it out from the manual but thought since many have done it I could get some pointers.
1. This is a 99wr 400 w/ a 426 pipe usually unplugged, snorkel thing removed but not the whole lid. Kouba style adjuster on the PJ?
2. Bike seems to run great except I get some pop on the decel. A half turn on the pj srcew helped. It was ok but rode this weekend in the rain and cold and it seemed worse.
3. This is a bike I bought used and original owner was not sure of the jetting. So I think there is no time like the present to check what is in it. Baja designs recommended a 48 PJ and 175 Main.
4. Most riding is between 2 and 6 thousand feet with occasional trips above that.
5. What are the steps to check and/or replace jets. Do you have to remove the carb from bike like the manual suggests or is there a trick.
6. I am in north california so if anyone has any recommendations for this bike let me have them.

I know there is probably something else that I am missing so if anyone knows what that might be add it in.
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperWR450F

Posted March 24, 2003 - 11:25 AM

i don't know about the 400's and the 426's but on my 450 i just unbolt the carb from the motor and the airbox and tuck the airbox hose behind the frame and i can lean it out enough to get the bottom of the carb off.i can change my jets in like 10 minutes.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted March 24, 2003 - 07:51 PM

At 4000ft. I'm useing a 162 main with great results. Also useing a YZ pipe. Rest of carb settings are bone stock and plug has a light brown color. Spark plug is now 2yrs. old and I can start the bike on two kicks cold and one hot. I never have to use the hot start knob. 2000 WR400 converted to a 426.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.