03'ish WR450 float issue.

6 replies to this topic
  • KodaKourage

Posted July 13, 2009 - 02:32 AM

My friend had his 03'ish WR450 sitting in the garage for well over a year without emptying the gas from the float. After getting 99% of the green gunk out of the carbs using about 3 cans of carb cleaner and letting it soak a bunch, I thought it would be good to go. I made sure the o-rings for the float bowl where good, and all of the jets properly tightened. Now I have the issue that bike leaks like a sieve. It'll create a 3 foot puddle of gas in about 10 seconds flat. I'm not super familiar with how those style carbs work, he kept tightening this bolt near the bottom on the side. Didn't help though.

Any of guys have any suggestions? I attempted to make sure the float bowl was the right height, and I know it moves freely when I had it apart.

• urgreathero

Posted July 13, 2009 - 02:41 AM

when u cleaned it u bent the lil flap the float is attached to, sounds like it may be out to far, try bending that piece in a lil more and re trying it
its a perdy common problem it happens to everyone.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 13, 2009 - 05:39 AM

If you soaked the carb in automotive carb cleaner you might have wrecked the float valve and seat, which are rubber. Easy replacement, or they are just stuck. The float valve can get 'stuck' internally, and somtimes can be un-stuck with more soaking (in wd-4o or similar).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KodaKourage

Posted July 13, 2009 - 02:49 PM

I may have bent the flap on accident, it seemed in spec when I went to measure it.

And for the soaking, it was more of a hosed it down, let it air dry in the sun. Did it about 4 times. The float bowl, float and float valve where off.

Is there a float valve seat/seal that may have been damaged?

• urgreathero

Posted July 13, 2009 - 06:10 PM

I may have bent the flap on accident, it seemed in spec when I went to measure it.

And for the soaking, it was more of a hosed it down, let it air dry in the sun. Did it about 4 times. The float bowl, float and float valve where off.

i dont see it being damaged wit water.
did u try bending the piece some and putten it all back in?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 13, 2009 - 07:30 PM

YES! THE RUBBER SEATS MELT WITH SOME CARB CLEANERS

Oh, no you don't want to use water on a carb, unless you bake it in the oven. Even then it's risky. The calcium deposits can destroy the carb. You have to use some sort of chemical to displace all the water and minerals, like WD-40 or brake cleaner.

• urgreathero

Posted July 14, 2009 - 12:29 PM

YES! THE RUBBER SEATS MELT WITH SOME CARB CLEANERS

Oh, no you don't want to use water on a carb, unless you bake it in the oven. Even then it's risky. The calcium deposits can destroy the carb. You have to use some sort of chemical to displace all the water and minerals, like WD-40 or brake cleaner.

this is the reason why i only use carb cleaner on carbs lol

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.