'08 Drz 400 SM Solenoid

8 replies to this topic
  • Metalorama

Posted July 13, 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with this...

I just recently jetted my bike, thanks to help from here :worthy: , and found that the power gain was not quite what I expected. Browsing forums I read something about a solenoid in some engines and on closer inspection of my carb realised I had one. Long and short...

Was wondering if anyone has removed solenoid before and if so could help with details of what is involved, would be much appreciated.

mucho gracias :banana:

• eddie odell

Posted July 13, 2009 - 11:49 AM

The "solenoid" you speak of is probably the air cut valve. It has nothing to do with making power. Its only there to help minimize the pop that occurs when the throttle is suddenly close and the engine generates lots of extra vacuum while the throttle is still closed. At this point the mixture is forced quite lean, this device momentarily richens the mixture to help reduce the pops.

• Harvey600

Posted July 13, 2009 - 11:56 AM

get rid of it and the pair valve, on EU/UK bikes, the pair valve injects air into the exhaust when the throttle is closed to burn unburnt fuel. The solenoid controls the speed of the slide inside the carb in the lower 3 gears, disconnect the pipe going to the top of the carb, block the top fixing off and the hose too,
Remove the pair valve and plate the hole using the existing gasket and a piece of metal. Do a search for pair valve, Headster wrote the best thread.
Once you've done these things the bike improves loads!

• eddie odell

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:05 PM

get rid of it and the pair valve, on EU/UK bikes, the pair valve injects air into the exhaust when the throttle is closed to burn unburnt fuel. The solenoid controls the speed of the slide inside the carb in the lower 3 gears, disconnect the pipe going to the top of the carb, block the top fixing off and the hose too,
Remove the pair valve and plate the hole using the existing gasket and a piece of metal. Do a search for pair valve, Headster wrote the best thread.
Once you've donr these things the bike improves loads!

Sorry forgot about smog motors, if so then Harvey600 is correct also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Harvey600

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:16 PM

Sorry forgot about smog motors, if so then Harvey600 is correct also.

:worthy: The pair valve and the carb solenoid were Suzukis last attempt to get the DRZ through Euro emissions, sadly we don't get the DRZ new here anymore. :banana:

• Metalorama

Posted July 14, 2009 - 12:05 AM

Once you've done these things the bike improves loads!

Cool, that pretty much confirms what I read. Thanks alot guys, my first bike and pretty new to this so appreciate all the help I can get.:worthy:

• Harvey600

Posted July 14, 2009 - 07:10 AM

No worries, :worthy: don't forget to check out the FAQs at the top of the page, lots of good hints on maintenance and mods up there too! Enjoy!

• Metalorama

Posted July 16, 2009 - 01:19 AM

No worries, :worthy: don't forget to check out the FAQs at the top of the page, lots of good hints on maintenance and mods up there too! Enjoy!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Jobs done, bike seems bit more willing to accelerate through first 3 gears, so I'm a happy man. :banana:

• Harvey600

Posted July 16, 2009 - 08:47 AM

Any time, I don't claim to have all the answers, but, I don't mind helping to work stuff out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  136 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

• Hot  99 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.