Catastophic Failure

27 replies to this topic
  • max49

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:04 PM

mjw1, it was the original piston, so ,like yours, it is its' 3rd season.
Did yours seize? Seems like , if it burned a hole in the piston, it would just quit running before it could burn all the oil. The exhaust looks pretty clean and dry.
I'll let you guys know how much damage is done , and the cause, if known when it gets opened up. I hate to make a basket case out of it until we're sure we can afford to fix it right.
A very good but expensive mechanic told me he has seen them seize because of no oil and he only had to replace the rings and piston, not even the cylinder. If we get the worst case scenario, about $2500

• ofrdrcr

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:09 PM

How could the oil get pumped into the cooling system? I have a friends bike that had some oily looking stuff in the cooling system and also pushed out a head gasket. I would like to know why before I put the bike back together. His bike is a 04 250f. Thanks

• mjw1

Posted July 15, 2009 - 02:33 PM

The only way to find out for sure is to take the top end apart.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2009 - 03:16 PM

How could the oil get pumped into the cooling system?

I have a friends bike that ... pushed out a head gasket.

Asked and answered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yoshgixxer

Posted July 15, 2009 - 03:18 PM

i "herd" some times the seal behind the water pump that seals the impellar shaft can go bad and let oil leak into the coolant...this would be the best and cheapest possible scenario for oil in the anti freeze!:worthy:

if thats ok, then its a head gasket

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2009 - 04:27 PM

i "herd" some times the seal behind the water pump that seals the impellar shaft can go bad and let oil leak into the coolant...this would be the best and cheapest possible scenario for oil in the anti freeze!:worthy:

if thats ok, then its a head gasket

I don't know where you herded whatever it is you herd, but you heard wrong.

There is a gap between the coolant and oil seals that leads to the outside expressly so that coolant leaking from the impeller seal cannot cross contaminate the oil supply. Other than the one genius I saw who screwed a bolt into the drain hole because he thought a missing plug was the source of his coolant leak, it can't happen.

• erickdj

Posted July 15, 2009 - 05:07 PM

I don't know where you herded whatever it is you herd, but you heard wrong.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :worthy:

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 15, 2009 - 07:21 PM

hey i said i herd it...thats why i put it in quotes...the guy i bought my bike from gave me a bunch of seals and he pointed the impellar shaft seal out(the one that presses in the case..bout the size of a quarter) and told me if you get oil in your radiator check that seal first...made sense to me but i never took to seal out to see whats behind it....i assumed it sealed off the crank case from the water pump chamber...my bad

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.