2009 YZ450 Oil Breather hose

4 replies to this topic
  • Hawaii_Racer

Posted July 12, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Ok so I have a new 2009 YZ450 and I am getting a LOT of oil out of the head breather hose. I ran it quite a while with it bowing oil out (didn't notice) engine didn't seize so could I have done any other damage? What could cause oil to blow out of this? I swear I put the proper amount of oil in. The bike is only 4 months old.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2009 - 09:18 PM

But did you drain the proper amount OUT? How many drain plugs did you remove in the process, and did you remove the dip stick prior to draining?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hawaii_Racer

Posted July 12, 2009 - 09:38 PM

The amount I drained looked pretty small (hence I'm wondering since it didn't seize what else could have gone wrong?) When I drained it I drained the two bolts and removed the filler cap. I however did not remove the dip stick. Could that have prevented some of the oil from coming out even though I had the filler cap removed?

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2009 - 07:23 AM

... I however did not remove the dip stick. Could that have prevented some of the oil from coming out even though I had the filler cap removed?

Yes, that's why I brought it up.

The proper amount after draining the "tank", the sump and the filter is exactly one liter. Fill a fresh quart to the one liter line and you'll be good.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 13, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Was the bike warmed up or cold before you drained? A warmed bike drains more oil.
Did you drain any oil from the oil filter cavity and put in a clean filter? The oil passages there and throughout the bike hold quite a bit of oil. I also very lightly push the kick starter down a couple of times with the kill button pushed. This also helps to drain more oil, but makes a mess if you do not have a oil catch under the bike. :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.