Vincent and James, Cloudcroft info request

Guys,

We are considering making the drive down to ride Cloudcroft over Memorial weekend. Before we make the final decision we are looking for the following info. Anything you can help out on is appreciated.

1) Trails: How many miles of riding and what is the terrain variety? Can we get in 3 to 4 full days of riding on different trails?

2) Lodging: Are hotels abundant and are they at least reputable? How close to the trail system are they?

3) Nightlife: very important. What is the bar and restaraunt situation?

4) We are plated (CO) but is it a big deal. Can we ride to the trails or do we need to trailer? Will we need parks passes or any other New Mexico documentation to ride?

5) Nearest hospital

6) Anyother info you wish to share.

We are leaning on going back to Moab or taking our chances with the Taos area. But I can't seem to find enough info on Taos to peak our interest.

Thanks, Doug

Dougie,

Yes..there are plenty of trails for you to ride over the course of 3 or 4 days down here. I'm not so sure it would live up to the expectations of folks spoiled by Colorado's beauty ? ...but it is very nice never the less.

If you'd like, I could send you a Lincoln National Forest map for you to peruse...maybe that can help make your decision.

There are plenty of decent motels...Motel 6, Super 8, Desert Air Inn, etc...that's not a problem.

Nightlife? Well this is kind of a bible belt, but there are some good bar's. We have Keg's, Shooter's, and my personal favorite..the Western Bar up in the town of Cloudcroft itself. Lots of cutie pie Texan's hang out there, particularly on long summer weekends :D

There is an excellent nearby hospital here in Alamogordo...hopefully that won't be necessary!!!

Plates? Not a big deal at all...you rarely see any sheriffs up there in the mountains, and most of the trails can be interlinked without any more than briefly crossing the black top. The more I think of it, this place is pretty unique in that respect. There aren't many places in the country like this any more. A place that gives you the freedom to travel pretty much anywhere on the established trails. Pretty nice indeed.

This town (population 35,000)isn't nearly as yuppyish as Moab, but you can still have a good time and see some beautiful country.

Let me know if you have any more questions...always glad to help.

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 03-28-2001).]