WR450 TORQUE?

11 replies to this topic
  • mntmayfly

Posted March 24, 2003 - 09:01 AM

can you check the torque by just pulling off the circular plug on the side case or do you have to pull off the whole case? someone said they could do it in minutes, i think that means pulling off the circular cover, but im not sure??
Thanks!

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2003 - 09:54 AM

Yes, take the little cover off. Put in in gear, jam the rear sprocket and chain from rotating. Torque to 47 ft.lbs.

• Moon

Posted March 24, 2003 - 10:51 AM

The correct way is to remove the enire cover and hold the flywheel with a wrench while torquing the nut. I believe this is explained fairly clearly in the manual. However, you can try it the other way but be careful with where you "jam" the sprocket. This can stretch the chain and it may be difficult to get an accurate torque reading with all the flex and give since you are stopping the motion so far down the path. Hopefully, the clutch will not slip. Try using a piece of hard wood in the front sprocket. Don't be surprised if it just chews it up. Click it up into a high gear for more leverage.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2003 - 01:17 PM

I have done it many times using a 3/8" diameter steel rod . Place the extension inside the rear sprocket tooth where it makes contact with the bottom swingarm chain guard. The chain can handle this small amount of torque. As Moon says anywhere else will cause you to bend parts. Wood will not work in my spot. You need a round steel rod. I wonder why Yamaha put an inspection window on the bike that fits the right size socket to tighten the nut if they dont want us to do it without taking the entire side cover off? :)

• mntmayfly

Posted March 24, 2003 - 03:02 PM

aaahh, many thanks!

• BEAN329

Posted March 24, 2003 - 06:29 PM

use the rear brake and 5th gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 25, 2003 - 04:49 AM

Bean329 is right, I forgot to mention using 5th gear to reduce the load on the chain an sprocket. Somethings just make sense on their own.

• Jim_bo

Posted March 25, 2003 - 05:30 AM

How important is it to torque the nut to exactly 47ftlbs?? I don't have a torque wrench, but I do have an air impact driver. Would I be doing bad by just "hitting" it with the impact driver?

Jimbo

• sabooo

Posted March 25, 2003 - 06:51 AM

Too much torque may cause problems. There was some talk of deformation caused by over torquing awhile back. A good quality torque wrench will last a lifetime and is a worth while investment.

Cheers,
Sabooo

• gloft

Posted March 25, 2003 - 08:20 AM

Jim_bo,

If you overtorque, you may hose the crank! Ouch!

• Jim_bo

Posted March 25, 2003 - 08:23 AM

That's why I ask you guys before I torqued it myself.

Jimbo

• Moon

Posted March 25, 2003 - 11:28 AM

Yes, get a torque wrench. Do not guess. Yamaha had revised the spec from 61 to 47 ft lbs so, they feel too much torque is a bad thing. The hole in the side cover along with the smaller one above it is in order to rotate the crank to put the piston at top dead center for valve adjustment and other work. Ever heard the accronym RTFM? Something that may be of interest. My bike number falls into the highly suspected range of failure. I have not checked the torque on mine yet. I plan to do so at the next oil change so I can remove the cover and see inside. I have over 100 miles on it now and have raced a two hour hare scramble with no issue. I have used the e-start but have been kick starting it also. I understand that the e-start with a back fire causes the problem. I have been very careful when using the e-start and not touching the throttle as the manual states. Yamaha did make a poor call by putting the starter ring on a taper fit flywheel. I bet in the future, they either move it to the other side or put a spline on the shaft to increase the strength.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.