new carb for 426

3 replies to this topic
  • 426robb

Posted July 12, 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site for a while trying to learn more and more about the mystery and magic that is the yz426.
A guy that I am working for had a 426 sitting in his garage for about two years and he asked me to get it running for him.
He had someone do some carb work on it before and told me all that needed to be done was put on the gas tank, new plugs, and away it would go. So I bought the plugs, put on the tank, put gas in and.......nothing. So I read on how to start the bike properly and still nothing. replaced plug again and tried yet again. still nothing.
I have experience in working on small engines but this is not something I want to mess up so I brought it to a guy locally who used to race bikes and now works on them. He told me that whoever worked on the carb before broke a jet off inside the carb and then shoved the wrong one in there in hopes it would work. Long story short, he cant get the broken jet out and told me that it needed a new carb.
The only problem is how expensive these carbs are from yamaha. I have seen some carbs on ebay for a yz400, yz250, but not a 426. I was wondering what alternative there is to getting a new carb and not spending $1300 dollars on one from yamaha.
I know this is a long first post, but I'm dying to get on this bikes, I have hopes of buying this bike from him and converting it to ride on the street for college.
Also, I'm not quite sure what year the bike is and was wondering how to find that out.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2009 - 12:06 PM

...I was wondering what alternative there is to getting a new carb and not spending $1300 dollars on one from yamaha.

Yeah, and people say EFI is going to be expensive. :worthy:

Your best bet is eBay, the Classifieds here, and Craigslist.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tntmo

Posted July 12, 2009 - 10:28 PM

PM sent, may have a carb for you.

• 426robb

Posted July 13, 2009 - 05:23 AM

You guys work fast. Thanks for advice

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.