New to me '06 YZ450 - What to service first?

20 replies to this topic
  • truckjunky87

Posted July 12, 2009 - 08:36 AM

I picked up an '06 YZ450, first bike in a long time. I've changed the oil and cleaned the air filter - anything else I should do before I put too many hours on it? I've read some threads saying to grease it - but grease what specifically?

Man this bike is fun!:worthy: I haven't been able to wipe this smile off my face in a week.:banana:

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 12, 2009 - 09:15 AM

HEY! nice bike...i just bought the same exact bike a few weeks ago my self..totaly bad ass bike!:worthy:

i recently took mine all apart to greese the steering neck bearings,swing arm and all linkage bearings...most of them still had some grease but not much..the only bearing that was totaly Fubar'd was the pivot bearing on the rear suspension linakage that the back of the straight links (looks like a big U) was bolted too...it was totaly rusted and all the needles were frozen...since i fixed that it rides like a totaly different bike...and dosnt creek any more:thumbsup:

other then that just keep up on oil and filters

• desert-rat660

Posted July 13, 2009 - 03:56 PM

check the chain out u wouldnt want to break one

• husqy360

Posted July 13, 2009 - 04:12 PM

my 06 is still perfect with 150 hr, in 100 hours i had some rust in the bearings so regrease. steer tube bearing get water inside very easy and die.

• rdrata

Posted July 13, 2009 - 04:46 PM

Grayracer has a bunch of tech tips on a sticky on common YZ issues. The short list for the '06 YZ450:

1. Upgrade your steering stem bearings to the new part #, '06 rusts;
2. Chain slide mod;
3. Oil Filter drain hole mod;
4. Jetting change 45/168 (relative to your riding area);
5. Use the right oil (no comment:bonk: );

That will keep you busy for awhile

• Goosedog

Posted July 13, 2009 - 05:04 PM

2. Chain slide mod;
3. Oil Filter drain hole mod;

Can you elaborate a bit on these two (and still keeping it in shortlist form :worthy: ).

• rdrata

Posted July 13, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Can you elaborate a bit on these two (and still keeping it in shortlist form :banana: ).

http://www.thumperta...r/wearplate.htm
:worthy:

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm
:banana:

• Goosedog

Posted July 13, 2009 - 06:16 PM

• Ga426owner

Posted July 14, 2009 - 05:36 AM

on the 06s some of them came with bad cam timing chains - they stretched too soon causing the chain to jump and much $$$$ in repair cost.
I highly advise checking the play in the cam chain.

• pace

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Grayracer has a bunch of tech tips on a sticky on common YZ issues. The short list for the '06 YZ450:

1. Upgrade your steering stem bearings to the new part #, '06 rusts;

This one caught my eye. I am still running the original bearings on my '06 - no rust present. However, my buddy's '08 came from the factory with bearings that were bone dry and which consequently gave up the ghost after just a few rides. YMMV I guess.

Anyway, back to the original question - I think it would be worthwhile checking the valve clearances when picking up a used bike with a somewhat unknown history.

The other thing you should do is check your spoke tension. They gradually loosen and I have thrown one before. Also check your rear sprocket bolts. They have a tendency to work loose. These are things that would obviously apply to any bike, but have been areas where I've had to pay extra attention on my '06 YZF.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:28 AM

The chain issue seems to be more of a kinking problem than actual stretch, but the results are bad either way. If the bike has any time on it, just replace the chain.

While you are doing that, take the time to pull up the lifters one by one and note the shim sizes that are currently in it. If it ever actually does need to have the valves adjusted, you'll be able to tell what shims to buy without having to disassemble it further.

While greasing the steering head, replace the top bearing with the new design that includes an integrated inner seal. (PN 93332-00078-00, NOT 93332-00068-00)

• live4speed

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:30 AM

180 main 48 pilot....that bike wakes up big time with those jets! other than that be careful tightening the spokes, they strip really easy...

• pace

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:38 AM

While greasing the steering head, replace the top bearing with the new design that includes an integrated inner seal. (PN 93332-00078-00, NOT 93332-00068-00)

*makes a mental note to get updated part during next head service*

Thanks Gray.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:40 AM

180 main 48 pilot....that bike wakes up big time with those jets!

In order to need jets like that, I would have to be running U4e at or below sea level in 50 degree weather. I run 165/45 summer, and 168/45 winter.

http://www.thumperta...488#post3521488

• pace

Posted July 14, 2009 - 08:40 AM

180 main 48 pilot....that bike wakes up big time with those jets!

The OP is in Utah. In all likelyhood he will need different (probably leaner) jetting than you.

[Edit] Beat by Gray.

• truckjunky87

Posted July 14, 2009 - 12:01 PM

Its running a 155 main and 142 pilot - everything else in carb is stock spec.

I get some popping on decell that I can almost get rid of with the fuel mixture screw but it gives up 0-1/8 throttle response so I'm going to pick up a 145 pilot.

Grey - when you say the chain has a kinking problem are you talking the cam chain or the drive chain? both are mentioned earlier on.

I've put about 10 hours on it so far so I'm going to need to do some of the work mentioned before I get too many more on it - so far it has ran well.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2009 - 12:57 PM

Cam chain.

• live4speed

Posted July 14, 2009 - 01:51 PM

In order to need jets like that, I would have to be running U4e at or below sea level in 50 degree weather. I run 165/45 summer, and 168/45 winter.

http://www.thumperta...488#post3521488

mine was SUPER lein from the showroom...those were the jets i found here on TT from burned back in the day...i always had a problem starting mine and after those jets went in the bike fired on one kick and the popping was gone...also i would guess another pony all the way through the powerband, maybe even 2 or so on top...goods specs man trust me :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2009 - 03:11 PM

.. the popping was gone...

...a clear indication it's too rich.

If you're talking about the recommendations Eddie made very early on, remember that was an estimate based on a test he did in Colorado in the winter.

http://www.thumperta...635#post2750635

A lot of people who went with a 170/48 or bigger that winter backed away from it as the weather warmed up. Looking at the jetting DB thread shows that.

• Goosedog

Posted July 14, 2009 - 03:26 PM

The chain issue seems to be more of a kinking problem than actual stretch, but the results are bad either way. If the bike has any time on it, just replace the chain.

I torn my '05 YZ450 down because my drive-chain let go and punched a hole in my case but while inside I found a number of "early catches" and the kinked cam chain was one of them.

Posted Image

The result was some very unusual wear on the crank teeth, so I replaced them both. It'll be alot cheaper if you just have to swap the chain before it does this to your crank.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.