Yamah AIS removal kit/fuel millage

11 replies to this topic
  • Shanman

Posted July 12, 2009 - 05:21 AM

I have a 08 wr450. I purchased the Yamaha Ais removal kit which includes some jets. The bike seems to run fin but my fuel millage is not good. I hit reserve at 40 miles. Has anyone else experienced this same problem. I was hoping that the purchase of the Yamaha ais kit would replace the need for the JD jet kit.

• KennyMc

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:21 AM

I have a 08 wr450. I purchased the Yamaha Ais removal kit which includes some jets. The bike seems to run fin but my fuel millage is not good. I hit reserve at 40 miles. Has anyone else experienced this same problem. I was hoping that the purchase of the Yamaha ais kit would replace the need for the JD jet kit.

I got tha Yamaha AIS removal kit but did not use their main or pilot jetting, seemed way too rich. I did use the other jet (main air jet, leak jet). I went with the JDJetting with 168 main, 48 pilot. I have ridden from 2,000' in the desert to 9,500' in the Sequia's without any issues. Milage depends on terrain but I have never gotten less than 35 miles per gallon.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:38 AM

That sounds about right, depending on how you ride. You should adjust your Accerator pump so you don't need to open the throttle as much.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:42 AM

With many mods,and a 14t mine only gets 35mpg.Im using a very large main jet 182,too big but seems to run perfect.

• stev0

Posted July 13, 2009 - 06:08 AM

ive just re-installed my ais.
fuel consumption is back up to 50mpg
im not racing, i dont really need it ...

• Shanman

Posted July 13, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Well I ride 100% tight woods so I am low rpm's on/off gas. I should get more than 40 miles before hitting reserve. With the jd jets did you use jd's needle or yamaha ais removal kit needle?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huero

Posted October 20, 2009 - 05:18 PM

Man, I have this problem on an 07' I just bought. I hit reserve at 37.1 miles. The ais was off when I bought the bike. I have a 45 pilot and a 160 main. I have been searching and searching but am still unsure what to do. I noticed some say to adjust the accelerator pump. Has anyone had this cure the problem? I have no idea how to do that. Any advice would be great..

Thanks,
Huero

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:20 PM

1st of all the reserve point on the 07/08/09's is a little premature because the petcock sits pretty high up in the tank. In fact it is a good two inches from the bottom of the tank. I seem to be hitting reserve at about 36 miles but getting over 50 out of the tank. Kind of a screwy design. I don't know why you would get better mileage with the AIS but if your rejeting back to stock then it's probably because the jettiing is leaner. The air injector really should have no effect on fuel economy.

• JM450

Posted October 20, 2009 - 08:44 PM

I have the 08 wr 450 as well and I hit resreve at 41. The dealer did the o ring mod and the ais kit , rejetted it with the gtyr kit. My bike runs really well, no stall , no pop. I should run it completly out of gas and check the milage.

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:08 PM

'09 here with AIS removal kit JETS installed, left the AIS on in case I get checked by the rangers. Bike starts and runs great but pops on deceleration due to AIS still being on and active. I hit reserve at 38 miles of pretty darn easy recreational trail riding. It is clear to me that the real problem is the location of the petcock - it is no where near the lowest point on the tank. Clarke, ISM and Acerbis have all corrected this with their tanks as well as increased capacity. I'll be getting one real soon.

• panaman

Posted October 21, 2009 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, I think the bike has a real tall reserve..... which isn't really a horrible thing.....
It also depends on how your riding....
I rode some trails pretty hard... and I hit reserve at 40miles.... i then road another 10 miles back to the camp site... and i looked in the tank with a flash light and there was still more gas in there......

I then road a Dualsport event this past weekend which was roads and tight trails... i made it 45 miles on the first loop back to the lunch spot and never hit reserve

I do have a large camelback that has an extra pounch in it... i put one of those 30oz MSR fuel bottles in it just in case :-)

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 21, 2009 - 06:13 AM

I would be OK with the deep reserve but it looks to me like there is a lot of fuel in the tank that is actually BELOW the petcock. How does one get that fuel up to the petcock and into the carb? If the petcock had a weighted fuel pick line attached to the reserve side that rested in the lower front portion of the tank I could probably live with the stock tank.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.