Gas in Camelback?

16 replies to this topic
  • Shibumi

Posted July 11, 2009 - 08:35 PM

I did a search and did not find the answer to this.
Would it be phesable to use a large volume water bladder to haul fuel? Aside from the obvious of never being able to use it again for water, would it be resilient enough to store it for a day trip?
I have a 05 WR450, and don't really have a couple hundred for a bigger tank right now.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2009 - 08:56 PM

I did a search and did not find the answer to this.
Would it be phesable to use a large volume water bladder to haul fuel? Aside from the obvious of never being able to use it again for water, would it be resilient enough to store it for a day trip?
I have a 05 WR450, and don't really have a couple hundred for a bigger tank right now.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

I believe it would leak gas and gas vapor and eventually melt.

• stevenacarter77

Posted July 11, 2009 - 09:01 PM

Shibumi there are some things that you should never do, and this is one of them, its made for water not fuel, and if it ruptures you could go up in flames, not a good thing instead look in the camping dept for fuel bottles and atache them to the bike not you. be safe!

• shrubitup

Posted July 11, 2009 - 09:30 PM

One thing you could do is go plant some gas in the woods somewhere that is a known point for running out of gas. Put a 5 gallon can out there so you can hit this loop twice on multiple days and keep going - assuming you can access the area with your truck prior to your ride. :worthy:

• ep87

Posted July 11, 2009 - 09:47 PM

I have a number plate pack that I put a couple Gatorade bottles of extra fuel
in, if having enough gas is in question. I'm sure you could use a fanny pack or just lash it tightly to your fender.

I agree the camel back is a bad idea.:worthy:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2009 - 10:20 PM

- Larger tank
- aluminum gas containers (1 qt) in backpack
- numberplate tank
- a buddy with a large tank you can siphon from

• Shibumi

Posted July 11, 2009 - 10:38 PM

Thank you for the replies. Trying to think outside the box, but agree leakage could cause flamage...
That would be mui bad!
Thanks again..

• txmxer

Posted July 11, 2009 - 10:44 PM

Msr fuel bottles ftw I hear good things about them and you can get them at camping stores, Ill be getting some once I start trail riding again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailman006

Posted July 12, 2009 - 07:04 AM

+ 1 on the MSR fuel bottles. Durable,light and seal well

• Pangia

Posted July 12, 2009 - 08:06 AM

I have used a 30 oz. MSR fuel bottle duct taped very tightly to the top center of my rear fender. I wrap the tape all the way around the bottle and fender very tightly so that the bottle is almost totally covered with tape. When I need the fuel, I cut the duct tape, empty the fuel into my tank, reseal the bottle, put it in a plastic bag in my pack and ride back to my truck.

One downside is a residual wear-line on the top of the fender where the bottle has rubbed. This might be able to be remedied with a thin piece of cloth placed under the bottle prior to taping it to the fender. Remember - 30 oz is not much...almost a quarter gallon. I'm definitely getting a larger tank when I can. Good Luck!!:worthy:

http://www.google.co...ttle&hl=en&aq=f

• gruberyz

Posted July 12, 2009 - 08:12 AM

When my son was still on a CR85RB we did some cross country races in western part of state where one lap was 22 miles. He carried fuel on his back fender in an aluminum military style canteen. He only had to use it one time following dropping his bike and fuel running out carb quite a bit. He ran out on a long down hill flat out section dumped the fuel in came on in and finished the race but left canteen on side of trail. I bet it is still there.

• Stroker06

Posted July 12, 2009 - 10:48 AM

I too have wondered if the camelback would be good for fuel. But I would never try it.
I do have a customer that manufactures large fuel bladders for the military, and just last week asked them about smaller units. The purchasing manager told me to conatact the sales dept. and suggest it to them, since they are interested in diversifing as sales are currently down for them.
I have not yet contacted anyone, but instead decided to bite the bullet and buy a larger tank for myself.
PM me if you are still interested in the bladder system and I can get some more info for you.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 12, 2009 - 08:37 PM

I've seen and ridden with guys who use a gallon jug that normally carries antifreeze. We all have a couple of those around the garage, don't we?

It will get it done. I've seen this.

As soon as the tank is down 1 gallon, dump it in.

• mikeythefokker

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:09 PM

Gatorade bottles work for me. I have heard that the gas is supposed to eat them, but I filled one up with gas and forgot about it in my camel pack for over a week, and it was fine. I have left for a long days ride with 2 of them in my pack, and two of them taped to my rear fender, for a total of 1 extra gallon of fuel. I usually tape the tops of them shut with a little extra duct tape. I also see tanks for sale all the time on craigslist and ebay for about half of what they cost new. The other thing to look for are people selling bikes that have a whole list of extra parts that come with the bike. Some times they will sell you just the extra tank, or another single part. There are cheap used tanks out there to be had.

• init ref

Posted July 13, 2009 - 09:32 AM

+ a bunch on the MSR fuel bottles. About 10 bucks each from camping supply store and they last literally forever. You can put 2 in the average Camelbak Hawg or Mule pack. Or figure an innovative way to mount them and post pictures!

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:24 PM

http://s7ondemand1.s...zm?$product325$

• GCannon

Posted July 13, 2009 - 12:59 PM

I understand these are popular
http://www.rei.com/product/617926

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.